Collet block

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Collet block

Does anyone make a octagon collet block for J2 collets? I have searched but no joy. I have a ton of J2s that came with my Monarch and would like to use them in a block once and awhile. If the answer is no I wonder why nobody made them? Cheers!

I haven't seen octagon collet blocks for anything. Only square and hex. The good news is - you can make your own!
    Kansas City area

Comment

Originally posted by Toolguy View Post
      I haven't seen octagon collet blocks for anything. Only square and hex. The good news is - you can make your own!
      You are correct, I did not engage my little gray cells.... again! Hexagon is correct. Yes but I grow tired of making something to make something to make something. Especially when I see ERs for 25 bucks! I could go R8 but don't see those much either.

Comment

You could get 5C or ER and turn internal adapters.
        Kansas City area

Comment

Good OLD chisels and punches were octagon shaped.
          Crappy NEW chisels and punches are hexagon shaped.
          I see this as evidence of the decline of society.
          Hexagon shanks do not feel natural in your hand
          like octagon shaped shanks do. What fees really
          good to me are square shank chisels. I think it gives
          more control, and the flat of the square feels decent
          in the hand. But for punches, octagon feel really nice.

-Doozer
          DZER

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post
            Good OLD chisels and punches were octagon shaped.
            Crappy NEW chisels and punches are hexagon shaped.
            I see this as evidence of the decline of society.......

-Doozer
            Now that is possibly the oddest litmus test on the condition of our society I've ever read....

Vector, if there was a market for them then there would be the option. But not too many folks know what a J2 collet is. I know that I had to look them up and gave up trying to find even a picture after a minute.

So you're stuck with either making your own blocks or with making an adapter it would appear.

Last edited by BCRider; 11-15-2021, 03:17 PM.
            Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Get an ER40 square collet block
              and grind 4 more sides.
              ER40 goes up to 1".

--Doozer
              DZER

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post
                Get an ER40 square collet block
                and grind 4 more sides.
                ER40 goes up to 1".

--Doozer
                What I am getting is a headache....🤯 I must have 100 J2s, a full set of R8s and the same or ER32s. Now 40s! Screw it I'm getting a bigger grinder!

Comment

”Now that is possibly the oddest litmus test on the condition of our society I've ever read”....

No…I gauge the fall of society with the perfs on toilet paper and paper towels.

I remember in the mid ‘80s getting a shipment of various paper goods in from a well known local paper goods mill and they wouldn’t tear off worth a hoot.

You could tell that the perf dies were not aligned well and probably weren’t even sharp. Having set up and run 4 color label presses for a few years after high school I knew about Perfs and perf dies and troubleshooting them. I wasn’t, at that point, particularly happy in my current job and went over to the paper mill and told them that I ( In all my resplendent magnitude) was the answer to all their problems. I was not hired and told them straight away that they were sadly mistaken and doomed to mediocrity.

Since then I judge the fall of civilization and the rapid decline in our society on those simple parameters.

Illigitimi non Carborundum 😎
                  9X49 Birmingham Mill, Reid Model 2C Grinder, 13x40 ENCO GH Lathe, 6X18 Craftsman lathe, Sherline CNC mill, Eastwood TIG200 AC/DC and lots of stuff from 30+ years in the trade and 15.5 in refinery unit operations. Now retired. El Paso, TX

Comment

Originally posted by Tim The Grim View Post
                    ”Now that is possibly the oddest litmus test on the condition of our society I've ever read”....

I remember in the mid ‘80s getting a shipment of various paper goods in from a well known local paper goods mill and they wouldn’t tear off worth a hoot.

You could tell that the perf dies were not aligned well and probably weren’t even sharp. Having set up and run 4 color label presses for a few years after high school I knew about Perfs and perf dies and troubleshooting them. I wasn’t, at that point, particularly happy in my current job and went over to the paper mill and told them that I ( In all my resplendent magnitude) was the answer to all their problems. I was not hired and told them straight away that they were sadly mistaken and doomed to mediocrity.

Since then I judge the fall of civilization and the rapid decline in our society on those simple parameters.

So Your Resplendent Magnitude YOU are actually the reason we are all doomed! And now I know who to blame when in the 'office'.

Comment

To be fair to Tim he only worked for those that ordered it. But still... As signs of the Apocalypse go this sounds like a major portent....
                      Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

I gauge the fall of society with the perfs on toilet paper and paper towels]
                        I've just on my last roll of toilet paper from a local supermarket that has that problem and been cursing for a while about it and will never buy that brand again.

Nev.

Comment

For machining eight sides use the square block and a v-block - obvious.
                          But it is strange that with so many collets other than 5C around it took so long for someone to market the ER size and still no other commercial offerings for others. I have 3C and watchmakers 8mm ones on my to-do list.

Comment

......I gauge the fall of society with the perfs on toilet paper and paper towels.

I remember in the mid ‘80s getting a shipment of various paper goods in from a well known local paper goods mill and they wouldn’t tear off worth a hoot.....
                            I believe Franklin Hardinge was one of the first to patent perforated tear off paper.
                            Yes the Hardinge lathe guy.

---Doozer
                            DZER

Comment

That was Doozers fault. He was in charge of dies but when he saw a hex punch, he took off to get is BOB ready.

BC, I think 2J's are common, I'd guess the next most common after 5C's (for lathe collets) but probably more with larger lathes. They are just like using a 5C but bigger....and oh so handy with the extra range.

Doozer, ER's for a block? It would work for many things but overall is sub-optimal (holding anything short) and the OP has the 2J's

I have never seen 2J collet blocks, but CB's are a super handy tool. You might have to make them
                              Last edited by Mcgyver; 11-17-2021, 08:25 PM.
                              in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Working...
                              X