X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey JL….Did he let the cat out?

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
      I guess after feeding the wire through you would have another guy at on the other side pulling the wire tight as you put the drill in reverse slow mo --- that would keep it inside the flutes and keep it from getting severed on the way back out the other side....

Hey - if it's for pulling wire back through then why would you not have the hole more towards the end of the bit ?
      If the hole was closer to the end of the bit it would limit the number of times the bit could be resharpened. I have seen bell hangers bits around 3' long with the hole close to the end. Those bits had a long flexible shank behind the bit itself. The hole was close to the end.

Comment

I just bought one of these 2 weeks ago to fish a switch drop into an exterior pine board sided wall, my old one was badly beat up I decided it was time for a new one. The save lots of pissing about.
        https://www.amazon.ca/MAGBIT-777-72-...d_bap_d_rp_9_i
        Cheers,
        Jon

Comment

Originally posted by SVS View Post
          Hey JL….Did he let the cat out?
          Yes, after three days. The people were going crazy looking for their cat and they were hearing noises at night but couldn't figure out where they were coming from until someone realized they were coming from behind the bath tub. The cat was between the partition. When the guy slid the sheet rock between the wall and the end of the tub and never saw the cat in there.

He said it was a real friendly cat and would always come around when he was working there. Too funny !

JL..............

Comment

For these drills to get called 'bell hanger's drills' I assume they were invented long before electricity and twist drills - so would originally have been made as spade drills for a brace?

Comment

A
              Originally posted by Baz View Post
              For these drills to get called 'bell hanger's drills' I assume they were invented long before electricity and twist drills - so would originally have been sade as spade drills for a brace?
              My first thought as per "Bell hangers drills" was they was used by telephone installers back in the beginning of telephones in houses by the Bell Telephone Company. As a kid in the forties and fifties I remember walls that where filled with all sorts of different material used as insolation. Sawdust, straw, cinders, and layers of news print. a drill bit that could be used to draw a wire back through a wall would be great time saver. I just never knew such a cool tool existed.
              Last edited by lugnut; 11-18-2021, 09:14 PM.

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.
              Oregon Coast

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
                That's a concern when you drilling in uncharted territory. I had a contractor friend that was doing some kitchen remodeling for a customer. He drilled through the wall and put the tip of the drill bit right smack in the center of the range 220 line. Shorted both lines to ground, melted the tip off the drill bit. Actually He's lucky to be alive as he was using an old die cast drill, two conductor power cord. Had to tear the wall out to repair it.
                This was before he remodeled their bathroom and accidentally sheet rocked the family cat between the wall !

JL....................
                I hit a 12/2 when installing a garage door opener. It was in plain sight, I was just stupid. Spooked the hell out of me, melted the tip of the bit, but didn't kill the power. When I got the wire out, there was none, zero, not a scratch on the hot or neutral. Ground was cut in half. Steel melts a lot easier than copper so the steel never had a chance to cut it.
                21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
                1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

Working...
                X