Gloat - Oliver drill pointer\drill sharpener

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gloat - Oliver drill pointer\drill sharpener

Picked this machine up today. Will grind drills from 1/4 to 3" with interchangeable chuck jaws.
    No picture as it's still in my truck bed ( and filthy), but a link to the auction images: https://www.bidspotter.com/en-us/auc...1-adcb01153f9b

ooooo ya bum! yah, I'm a bit envious.... some of the best drill grinds I ever used came from one of those! You scored!
    25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

a nice addition to the shop
      in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Nice grab.

Comment

Those are nice, Hopefully you got all three sets of jaws they are kind of pricey to buy. If you call Oliver they can check the production records and tell you original owner. They also stock the wheels, diamond dresser and drive belt.
          Mike
          Central Ohio, USA

Comment

Originally posted by Ohio Mike View Post
            Those are nice, Hopefully you got all three sets of jaws they are kind of pricey to buy. If you call Oliver they can check the production records and tell you original owner. They also stock the wheels, diamond dresser and drive belt.
            I need one set of jaws, but for the price I paid, it's still cheaper than buying an obsolete Darex and much cheaper than the equivant Rush, Optima or Christensen drill grinder

Comment

Nice looking machine. Should we all send you our drills to get sharpened now .

Comment

Never used one myself but would like to see one in action. Nice score, handy for anything with a point
                mark

Comment

I worked in engineering in the front office of a company that had a drill grinder similar to that one. For some reason the guys didn't like to use it, maybe they didn't know how to use it? The shop foreman sent the drills out to be sharpened instead. They used a lot of bits in the +/- 2" diameter range.

Does that do a conventional point or something super special like a Winslow point?

Comment

Originally posted by DR View Post
                    I worked in engineering in the front office of a company that had a drill grinder similar to that one. For some reason the guys didn't like to use it, maybe they didn't know how to use it? The shop foreman sent the drills out to be sharpened instead. They used a lot of bits in the +/- 2" diameter range.

Does that do a conventional point or something super special like a Winslow point?
                    Grinds a conical point on 2, 3 or four flute drills.

Comment

Oh, those are nice!
                      I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Originally posted by DR View Post

I'm not sure about the particular model OP has but Oliver advertises "Oliver point"
                        https://www.oliverinstrument.com/MoreandBetterHoles.pdf

At first look it is just like ordinary conical sharpening but it has variable clearance angle, sort of like propeller. (basically same idea as propeller profile has)

Comment

We have a Giddings and Lewis Winslowmatic drill grinder at work.
                          It cost something like $6000 in 1970.
                          More complicated than a beautiful woman.

--Doozer
                          DZER

Comment

Originally posted by boslab View Post
                            Never used one myself but would like to see one in action. Nice score, handy for anything with a point
                            mark
                            Same here. I watched a video on YouTube and it made the Black Diamond drill grinder I’ve used seem like a toy.

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post
                              We have a Giddings and Lewis Winslowmatic drill grinder at work.
                              It cost something like $6000 in 1970.
                              More complicated than a beautiful woman.

--Doozer
                              Yes, but what a point! I love those. They take up too much room for me though. I will just have to make do with my Black Diamond.

Comment

Working...
                              X