No announcement yet.

Springfield lathe video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Man, that thing is awesome. What an endeavor.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Edwards View Post
      Well done. That chuck wrench looks just like the one for my Lodge & Shipley
      -Y'know... when you first said that, I thought you meant the big L-taper nut wrench seen at the end shot. That's what I alluded to- there's a guy on PM (actually his daughter now) that cuts and sells wrenches for the L series spindles.

The chuck key, I made. The machine came with none, and neither of the new chucks I bought later came with one. And since I don't have a lot of time, but I have more time than money, I made one each for the 10" 3-jaw (square) and the 12" 4-jaw (hex.) They're just mild steel, milled and TIG welded, and I can see maybe wearing them out in several years, but I think they'll last plenty long for what I have into them.

[...]nice to keep good machines from being melted down.
      -I can just about guarantee that had I not bought it, it almost certainly would have been scrapped. I seem to recall the seller was clearing out the property- his brother's, who had passed away due to cancer. I suspect had I not bought it, it'd have been left behind- easier than paying to have it hauled off- and whoever bought the property (with a nice log cabin) very likely would have junked it.

And as I understand it, it did already get junked once. Back in the early 70s, I believe, after it very likely got surplused out of a semi-local military base. Probably (lots of supposition here) partially parted out, maybe to keep another machine running, and apparently rebuilt, sort of, by a kind of rebuilder back in the day. Machine tools have of course been rare and sought after up here, as it's so bloody expensive to get them shipped up.

When I got this thing, three or four hands later, it had a replacement compound (something undersized and likely off some imported machine) a replacement oil pump (some aircraft thing) and an incomplete taper attachment off an entirely different machine.

Can't say what'll happen to it after I'm gone- I have a few years left, but at the rate things are going, we'll probably have friggin' replicators and transporters by then. Hopefully at least some hipster will collect these things like they do gramophones and glass-plate cameras.

But it'll certainly last the rest of my life, and hopefully a few beyond.

Doc.
      Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Nickel View Post

-Y'know... when you first said that, I thought you meant the big L-taper nut wrench seen at the end shot. That's what I alluded to- there's a guy on PM (actually his daughter now) that cuts and sells wrenches for the L series spindles.

Doc.
        Yeah, thats it, from Walter A. At the rate that I use mine it will last 1000 years.

Comment

Wonderfull to see. Thank you for making that video.
          -Roland
          Golf Course Mechanic

Bedminster NJ

Comment

Working...
          X