Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using CNC chuck jaws to make low profile mill table vice ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using CNC chuck jaws to make low profile mill table vice ???

Hi
    Has anyone considered or made a separated jaw vice, using CNC chuck jaws, that clamps directly to the milling machine table?
    My thinking is that:
    • the work would sit directly on the table, taking out any errors that could be added by a standard vice
    • used CNC chuck jaws are cheap if they are without the matching chuck
    • they are already machined to a useful size/shape.
    • they are usually made of good quality steel
    Thoughts??

A quality chuck may be mounted on manual lathes or CNC lathes there is no difference in the top jaws, many automatic machines and NC machines employ hydraulic chucks use a serrated mounting system due to the short master jaw travel, simply move the top jaws to the desired diameter range.

Comment

Are you talking about these:

Comment

Just clamp the work to the table with strap clamps and studs.
        A vise is a luxury item that is usually not needed.
        It is for lazy setups. Vises are for soft bellys.
        (I know a vise is handy for facing the top of a part,
        but toe clamps can be used too).

-Doozer
        Last edited by Doozer; 11-19-2021, 10:46 AM.
        DZER

Comment

The chuck jaws which attach directly to the bed are occasionally useful, but they can warp the bed temporarally when used.

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post
            It is for lazy setups.
            -Doozer
            They can also be the smart tool to use for setting up some jobs.

Comment

yes - every type of holding solution comes in handy... OMG - I left the chuck key in!

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20210929_214601140.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.87 MB ID:	1970959

Comment

Dazz, are you talking about the jaws out of a more or less regular chuck or the sometimes used little edge clamps that fit onto the top of some vises? Perhaps find and post a picture so we're all on the same page?

While it's true that a two piece vise can and will flex the mill's table into a bit of an arc the effect can be minimized to where it's not a significant issue if the height of the clamping pressure is not far off the mill's table.

For example I'm thinking that low profile table clamps to hold large flat items isn't going to distort the table any worse than longish strap clamps. So not significant. And likely a two piece vise that is only about 1" high would be close enough to work well without becoming an issue.
                Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

It is for lazy setups. Vises are for soft bellys.
                  (I know a vise is handy for facing the top of a part,
                  but toe clamps can be used too).

-Doozer
                  My Vises are on the table maybe 5% of the time,I find their in the way for majority of my jobs.I do use Plain Back Lathe Chucks clamped on table sometimes.
                  Last edited by Tundra Twin Track; 11-19-2021, 04:55 PM.

Comment

-Doozer
                    You are a doozie (-:

We do a recurring job in 1 1/2" aluminum rounds 1 5/8" long, soft jaws with pockets milled in place.
                    3 vices on the table holding 6 parts, 4 tool changes on one end and 3 on the other end.

12,000 parts per order, if you had to clamp the first 36,000 parts down on the table with clamps one at a time you would be a shriveled up old Doozer before you were finished.

Comment

Originally posted by Bented View Post

You are a doozie (-:

We do a recurring job in 1 1/2" aluminum rounds 1 5/8" long, soft jaws with pockets milled in place.
                      3 vices on the table holding 6 parts, 4 tool changes on one end and 3 on the other end.

12,000 parts per order, if you had to clamp the first 36,000 parts down on the table with clamps one at a time you would be a shriveled up old Doozer before you were finished.
                      Use a locating fixture and toggle clamps to speed setup time if possible.
                      Not everyone has or can afford three or five matched or similar enough vises in a non-commercial environment.

Comment

My response was humor.

I quote an esteemed member.

"A vise is a luxury item that is usually not needed.
                        It is for lazy setups. Vises are for soft bellys)

"Not everyone has or can afford three or five matched or similar enough vises in a non-commercial environment)

Matched vices are not required.
                        Last edited by Bented; 11-20-2021, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post

Use a locating fixture and toggle clamps to speed setup time if possible.
                          Not everyone has or can afford three or five matched or similar enough vises in a non-commercial environment.
                          I don’t think a non-commercial environment is going to take on a 12,000 piece parts order either.

Comment

Originally posted by Bented View Post
                            My response was humor.

I quote an esteemed member.

"A vise is a luxury item that is usually not needed.
                            It is for lazy setups. Vises are for soft bellys)

"Not everyone has or can afford three or five matched or similar enough vises in a non-commercial environment)

Matched vices are not required.
                            Im betting vises will actually be a safe topic today, but of course the attention will be on something else for the shock value of it all, It's kinda like going to the zoo --- there's always that one monkey throwing his own poop around and at the glass then looking to see what kind of reaction he's going to get... yeah, it's kinda like that...

Comment

Hi
                              I am thinking of using standard CNC chuck soft jaws like these ones.
                              When they are sold without the vice, they are cheaper than the cost of the metal to make them.
                              Maybe mill off the serrations and add Tee clamps.

I see a bit of discussion about table flex. Vices flex as well. They introduce a whole range of possible errors.
                              If I was aiming for least error, I would clamp directly to the table in a way that would minimise flex.

Comment

Working...
                              X