Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT: Pop Up Blocker That Stops Pop Ups About The Blocker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Pop Up Blocker That Stops Pop Ups About The Blocker?

Another post lead me to a site that resists pop up blockers. When I followed the link, I got to the site but there was a Pop Up that urged me to turn my Pop Up Blocker off. I hate that.

I understand that these sites need to pay for themselves and many of them are actually there to make a profit. So be it. I have no problems with that. But there is sufficient space on the pages themselves for ads. They are placed everywhere: top, bottom, both sides, and even withing the text or other message on the page. Those are there and they are seen. But the reader can easily go past them if desired. For instance, I will never buy woman's boots. So there is no reason for me to actually read an ad for them. No matter how many pop up ads try to force me to look at them.

OK, rant over. What I want to know is do any of the pop up blockers block those messages that urge you to accept pop ups? I mean, what good is a pop up blocker if it can not stop that pop up? If it can not stop ALL pop ups?
    Paul A.
    SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
    You will find that it has discrete steps.

I've had great luck with Firefox using the adblock-plus plug-in. It greatly cleans up the web surfing experience in a seamless way. This setup blocks basically everything, making for a very clean experience. I disable it on this site so that I get the ads here, to help support this site.
    25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
      Another post lead me to a site that resists pop up blockers. When I followed the link, I got to the site but there was a Pop Up that urged me to turn my Pop Up Blocker off. I hate that.

I understand that these sites need to pay for themselves and many of them are actually there to make a profit. So be it. I have no problems with that. But there is sufficient space on the pages themselves for ads. They are placed everywhere: top, bottom, both sides, and even withing the text or other message on the page. Those are there and they are seen. But the reader can easily go past them if desired. For instance, I will never buy woman's boots. So there is no reason for me to actually read an ad for them. No matter how many pop up ads try to force me to look at them.

OK, rant over. What I want to know is do any of the pop up blockers block those messages that urge you to accept pop ups? I mean, what good is a pop up blocker if it can not stop that pop up? If it can not stop ALL pop ups?
      Not all popups are ads. Sometimes when you click on a link on a page, It will open up a small window that is actually a popup with some information that you really want. If you don't enable popups for that site, you will never see that information.

An example may be on a courrier or web store where a popup will open for you to enter a shipping address. If you don't allow a popup for that site, you will not be able to complete the transaction. The web page will give you the warning you are concerned with. It can tell if you have popups enabled. Not all web sites are good so you have to use some discretion.
      Youngwhisk
      Last edited by Youngwhisk; 11-21-2021, 11:03 PM.

Comment

"OT: Pop Up Blocker That Stops Pop Ups About The Blocker?"

Hahaaa! That is hilarious. JR

Comment

So, pop ups are NEEDED to conduct a purchase on line?

Funny, I pay almost all my monthly bills ON LINE with my pop up blocker in full force. Nothing pops up. AND EVERY BILL GETS PAID. I buy from many on line places with NO POP UPS. No need to turn the blocker off. And every item arrives.

Somehow I do not believe that the web programmers of those on line stores are ignorant of the techniques that all the people who I pay monthly and purchase from use.

I am sorry, but I see a pattern here. They use the pop up at checkout so you will turn your blocker off. And then 99% of those purchasers will not turn it back on. Next time you visit you get all the pop ups. For them it is a win, win, WIN! Not so much for you.

And don't think advertisers don't work like that. I have worked for an ad agency. I sat in on the meetings. Actually they are a lot worse than that. A lot worse!

Originally posted by Youngwhisk View Post

Not all popups are ads. Sometimes when you click on a link on a page, It will open up a small window that is actually a popup with some information that you really want. If you don't enable popups for that site, you will never see that information.

An example may be on a courrier or web store where a popup will open for you to enter a shipping address. If you don't allow a popup for that site, you will not be able to complete the transaction. The web page will give you the warning you are concerned with. It can tell if you have popups enabled. Not all web sites are good so you have to use some discretion.
          Paul A.
          SE Texas

Comment

My Opinion? Phut that chit!

That was my opinion.

I have 6 PC boxes running right now. Good PCs. I have everything blocked. Just the way it is. JR

Comment

So, pop ups are NEEDED to conduct a purchase on line?

Funny, I pay almost all my monthly bills ON LINE with my pop up blocker in full force. Nothing pops up. AND EVERY BILL GETS PAID. I buy from many on line places with NO POP UPS. No need to turn the blocker off. And every item arrives.

Somehow I do not believe that the web programmers of those on line stores are ignorant of the techniques that all the people who I pay monthly and purchase from use.

I am sorry, but I see a pattern here. They use the pop up at checkout so you will turn your blocker off. And then 99% of those purchasers will not turn it back on. Next time you visit you get all the pop ups. For them it is a win, win, WIN! Not so much for you.

And don't think advertisers don't work like that. I have worked for an ad agency. I sat in on the meetings. Actually they are a lot worse than that. A lot worse!

I am just telling you what I have experienced. Certainly most websites don't require popups. However some do. They let you know about it by the warning you are receiving. It is your choice to accept them or not. Your popup blocker probably offers the option of only allowing the one popup to appear for that single occasion, or always from that website or never. I am not trying to inluence you.

Comment

I was just grouching. Don't take me too seriously about this.
                Paul A.
                SE Texas

Comment

I was just grouching. Don't take me too seriously about this.
                  Actually I agree -- and I do my share of grouching too. Sites that don't work because you need to allow unrestricted access to your computer, don't get any business from me.
                  25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

You could also try to disable JavaScript for that site and that may stop the ads with your ad blocker.
                    John From Slinger, Wisconsin

Comment

Try Brave browser, thank me later.
                      You will never see another add again, including on youtube. It has a switch at the top called Brave shields up or down, you can switch it off is the site requires a pop up for purchasing or whatever. It is fantastic.
                      Cheers,
                      Jon

Comment

Originally posted by Old School View Post
                        You could also try to disable JavaScript for that site and that may stop the ads with your ad blocker.
                        "speaking" of Java Script, I somehow deleted it during a "ransomware" fiasco and now all, or a lot of things don't work. Like the pictures from the F1 site and many of the little "buttons" from Ancestry. Is there some way I can re-install it??? Windows 7 is my op-sys. and I prefer my SeaMonkey browser. Ideas???
                        ...lew...

Comment

Originally posted by Old School View Post
                          If you use Frefox you could add Noscript to it, that selectively disables Java scrips
                          The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Lew Hartswick View Post

"speaking" of Java Script, I somehow deleted it during a "ransomware" fiasco and now all, or a lot of things don't work. Like the pictures from the F1 site and many of the little "buttons" from Ancestry. Is there some way I can re-install it??? Windows 7 is my op-sys. and I prefer my SeaMonkey browser. Ideas???
                            ...lew...
                            JavaScript is different from Java. It is something that is enabled or disabled in your browser, not something deleted or uninstalled.
                            • Mozilla Suite/SeaMonkey: "Edit -> Preferences -> Advanced -> Scripts & Plug-ins -> Enable JavaScript for -> Navigator" (JavaScript is disabled by default for the "Mail & Newsgroups" component , for security reasons.)
                            http://kb.mozillazine.org/JavaScript

HTH
                            It's all mind over matter.
                            If you don't mind, it don't matter.

Comment

The best I ever did with computers was switch to Linux.

Comment

Working...
                              X