Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CTD saw restoration

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Doozer View Post

    Have you ever used a high speed metal cut off saw with a carbide blade ? ? ? ? ?
    Very dangerous and extremely loud. One of the more ridiculous products I have seen.
    It is insane how a product like this even exists. I pity the fools that buy them and have
    to put up with the noise and what WILL happen if something binds the blade.
    Freaking ridiculous these saws are. It is not surprising though. Some poorly designed
    product is promoted through advertising and sold to people who are followers and don't
    know any better, that could not have an independent thought if forced at gun point.
    The saving grace with an abrasive blade at high speed, is the blade will fail if something
    binds up. On a high speed carbide steel blade, if something binds up, metal pieces are
    going to launch out in every direction. All is happy and gay until something goes wrong.
    I do not trust cutting steel on essentially what is a wood saw platform at wood saw speeds.
    You can keep those fancy new saw blades. I can see all too clearly the risks and
    inconveniences associated with using them to cut steel.

    -=---Doozer
    Translation please? Are you talking about these? Or a blade stuck in a regular woodworking chopsaw?
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-1...-203164101-_-N
    I just need one more tool,just one!

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by vectorwarbirds View Post

      Interesting you mentioned this Bob as the pulley ratio on these is 1:1 and I thought it might be interesting to configure one of the other saws with lower ratios. There is plenty of room for a larger final drive pulley with a larger belt guard. Then use a single phase (these are all 3) 1725 rpm motor instead of the 3450s on these. Having all these blades, which I believe are all for aluminum, is kinda bad suckage as I don't need anything near that number, sell them on ebay I suppose but I never seem to get around to that
      Nice job on the restoration! One place I worked had bought an Italian made Aluminum saw that was basically the same design, but with air clamping and air feed. That saw would produce parts that didn't need post processing beyond light deburring. There have been many times since that I wished we had a dedicated saw for Aluminum at work.
      I just need one more tool,just one!

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Doozer View Post

        Have you ever used a high speed metal cut off saw with a carbide blade ? ? ? ? ?
        Very dangerous and extremely loud. One of the more ridiculous products I have seen.
        It is insane how a product like this even exists. I pity the fools that buy them and have
        to put up with the noise and what WILL happen if something binds the blade.
        Freaking ridiculous these saws are. It is not surprising though. Some poorly designed
        product is promoted through advertising and sold to people who are followers and don't
        know any better, that could not have an independent thought if forced at gun point.
        The saving grace with an abrasive blade at high speed, is the blade will fail if something
        binds up. On a high speed carbide steel blade, if something binds up, metal pieces are
        going to launch out in every direction. All is happy and gay until something goes wrong.
        I do not trust cutting steel on essentially what is a wood saw platform at wood saw speeds.
        You can keep those fancy new saw blades. I can see all too clearly the risks and
        inconveniences associated with using them to cut steel.

        -=---Doozer
        This is kinda interesting Dooz, looks like an abrasive disc saw which spins pretty fast cutting a R&R track with a Cermet blade. I would try this but at a much slower speed, I mean what's the rush?

        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VF6...annel=DyecoInc

        Comment


        • #19
          Something to look into I believe....... https://www.diablotools.com/products/D1260CF

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by vectorwarbirds View Post

            This is kinda interesting Dooz, looks like an abrasive disc saw which spins pretty fast cutting a R&R track with a Cermet blade. I would try this but at a much slower speed, I mean what's the rush?

            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VF6...annel=DyecoInc
            The blades aren't designed to run much slower. I use a lot of 115mm x1mm thin abrasive cut-off wheels on the small angle grinder and now they have diamond grit disks that are able to withstand 3000 cuts on 1/2" rebar steel.
            Helder Ferreira
            Setubal, Portugal

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by vectorwarbirds View Post

              This is kinda interesting Dooz, looks like an abrasive disc saw which spins pretty fast cutting a R&R track with a Cermet blade. I would try this but at a much slower speed, I mean what's the rush?

              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VF6...annel=DyecoInc
              That's a saw intended to cut steel with a toothed blade, they run 1700-1800 rpm, the abrasive type run 3000-3600 rpm. You can tell by the guard over the blade that it's a TCT saw.
              I just need one more tool,just one!

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by wierdscience View Post

                Translation please? Are you talking about these? Or a blade stuck in a regular woodworking chopsaw?
                https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-1...-203164101-_-N
                That's a miracle saw: 4hp while only using 1800 watts!

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Noitoen View Post
                  You can get dry cut carbide tipped saw blades for steel that handle those RPM's
                  Dry cut saws run in the 1400 rpm range. While probably fine for aluminum, those blades wouldn't like 3700 rpm in steel.
                  It's all mind over matter.
                  If you don't mind, it don't matter.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Bob Engelhardt View Post

                    That's a miracle saw: 4hp while only using 1800 watts!
                    Probably measured at the blade hub, don't want to confuse consumers with all that gear ratio/inertia/rated output nonsense you know
                    I just need one more tool,just one!

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by MrWhoopee View Post

                      Dry cut saws run in the 1400 rpm range. While probably fine for aluminum, those blades wouldn't like 3700 rpm in steel.
                      In his case, since it's a belt drive, changing one pulley is easy to achieve the required speed.
                      Helder Ferreira
                      Setubal, Portugal

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        We had one similar at work that was used up to 3" diameter, mostly steel tubing. As I recall, it ran very slowly and used coolant.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by old mart View Post
                          We had one similar at work that was used up to 3" diameter, mostly steel tubing. As I recall, it ran very slowly and used coolant.
                          These are usually with sharp HSS (very fragile and expensive) blades
                          Helder Ferreira
                          Setubal, Portugal

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by Noitoen View Post

                            These are usually with sharp HSS (very fragile and expensive) blades
                            Amen to that.
                            I broke 3 of them on a Brobo cold-saw while learning to cut miters in the late 70s. I waited until I had the $130 to pay for the last one before I told Fred. He started to yell at me as he reached for the cash. I withdrew it and told him he could have the money or he could yell at me, but not both. He took the money.
                            It's all mind over matter.
                            If you don't mind, it don't matter.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Good Score and great restore job,the 8 Ball is a nice touch lol!Was curious how many HP motor and what series of V belt does it use or is it poly or cog belt.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by Tundra Twin Track View Post
                                Good Score and great restore job, the 8 Ball is a nice touch lol! Was curious how many HP motor and what series of V belt does it use or is it poly or cog belt.
                                Thanks Triple T, It uses two 2L382 V-belts. 3HP, 3 phase motor. Yea eight ball off ebay was eight bucks which was cheaper than a real handle ball plus more fun! Working on the other two as we speak.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X