threading on the lathe in HSM 5/6 2006

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• threading on the lathe in HSM 5/6 2006

In the current edition of the HSM there is an interesting article on threading in the lathe. One problem I have had with threading especially on projects with a fine thread is starting each successive pass at the same starting point. I was thinking of placing a mechanical stop on the lathe so I could go back to same spot each time. Has anyone ever tried this or is there a better way? Thanks Paul

Not sure what you mean....... thread dials normally work fine.....

If the machine is sloppy enough, I can see where fine threads could be a problem.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Comment

If I remember correctly spinrow has a old (pre 1900) or a 9in SB without the "optional" threading dial. Why that sticks in my head, I can't explain, because he is a "quite" poster.

I am interested in the same thing as my lathe doesn't have a treading dial, yet (project number 15,843 on my list, I think).
      Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there no sweeter words than "I told you so."

Comment

If the threads are not picking up on subsequent passes, backlash may be a problem. Make sure there is enough room before the cut starts for the lathe to make several revolutions.

If the problem is the lack of a thread dial, starting with the carriage in the same position will not always pick up the thread. The carriage and the lead screw must be in the same postion for it to pick up.

Lacking a thread dial, do not release the half nuts, but stop the lathe and reverse to return to the starting point. The advice about removing backlash applies here as well.

If you plan on doing a lot of threading, moving the threading dial project up your priority list is recommended.
        Jim H.

Comment

A mechanical stop on the lathe will not work because you must engage the half nuts at the same position with respect to the rotating lead screw, not the same position with respect to the lathe bed. There is a mistake in that article. The author states that the half nuts must be engaged at the exact same mark on the thread dial for each pass. This is not the case. For example, an even-numbered thread can be picked up at ANY mark on the dial, not just the one used for the initial pass. K. Steiner

Comment

Thread dial

here are the rules guys:
            1) Even # threads engage at any division.
            2) odd # engage at any main division ie 1,2,3,4
            3) 1/2 pitch every other main division 1&3 , 2&4 11 1/2 pipe for example
            4)other fractional pich same division each time
            5) Any multiple of the lead screw no dial needed
            so if the lead screw is a 8 pitch you can cut a 8,16.24,32,40, or48 pitch thread with no thread dial.
            Tin
            Ad maiorem dei gloriam - Ad vitam paramus

Comment

Hi Falcon,

Good info. Does it apply to all lathes (specifically the Monarch 10ee)? TIA
              Leigh
              The entire content of this post is copyright by, and is the sole property of, the author. No assignment
              of title nor right of publication shall ensue from presentation of this material on any computer site.

Comment

No thread dial

Leigh:
                Yes this is general info for all lathes. The key to threading without the dial is lead scew pitch this will vary from lathe to lathe. So you need to know the pitch of the lead screw on you particular lathe. you still need to be able to set your gears or gear box to the needed pitch.
                Here is a plug gage and back plate I just did in 1" -16 with no thread dial.

Tin Falcon

Comment

Alright - newbie question here:
                  What is a thread dial?

Comment

No thread dial? no half nuts? Are you sure you are not useing a wood lathe?

Comment

Thread dial

Fasttrack: the thread dial is the thingy on the side of the apron that goes round and round when the lead screw turns.
                      tin

Comment

Threading 101

Fasttrack :
                        sorry for the wiseguy response your lathe may not have a thread dial the original on my south bend was missing when i got the machine. this link will show photo as well as other usefull info also info on turning tapers.
                        http://www.etec.wwu.edu/faculty/McKe...&Threading.pdf

Tin Falcon

Comment

Haha - yeah no thread dial for me. I on a Smithy machine - the cheapest one as a matter of fact. Theres not a whole lot of luxuries included with this package! I've seen thread dials before on a "real" lathe but my little one doesnt have one. Threading has been an interesting expierence!

Comment

There is an old saying..."You get what you pay for" I guess in this case it fits.

Sorry for your problems,

Comment

Originally posted by IOWOLF
                              There is an old saying..."You get what you pay for" I guess in this case it fits.

Sorry for your problems,

Too true - but then i didn't expect to get any more than i paid for. I just didn't have money or room to buy anything bigger or better, so, for under a thousand dollars, and considering i'm student in highschool and living with my parents, i'm happy with it.

Comment

Working...
                              X