ID:	1971557 Click image for larger version

Name:	6F32A37A-DF78-416B-ADD4-81A8B6E0F88E.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	1971559 Click image for larger version

Name:	2E8DB1BE-22E1-4745-BC5D-B578AB77FBAE.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	1971560 For those stating they just roll with it. Here’s what I started with. Anyone on here stating they would rather have the before than the after is lying.

Comment

Originally posted by oxford View Post
      .................................................. .. For those stating they just roll with it. Here’s what I started with. Anyone on here stating they would rather have the before than the after is lying.
      It's not a case of "rather have". I would have thought that was somewhat obvious.

It's a case of return on time/money invested. "I" might opt not to bother doing a fancy paint job on a repaired machine...... But if "you" offered to do a quality job of it, for free, I'd take you up on it.

See the difference?

Keep eye on ball.
      Hashim Khan

Everything not impossible is compulsory

Comment

Originally posted by Tundra Twin Track View Post
        I haven’t painted every Machine in my shop,but when I got this Doall it was rough looking so gave it complete facelift.I repowered with 1 ph motor and it still cuts very accurate,it was Powdercoated and it’s 72nd Birthday coming up in Jan lol!🙂 Click image for larger version

Name:	A1BE95DB-150B-43BD-9001-A315C5DB6E08.png
Views:	252
Size:	2.37 MB
ID:	1971552 Click image for larger version

Name:	9C85A781-0B27-4205-A911-2888762AECE3.png
Views:	243
Size:	3.87 MB
ID:	1971553
        That looks really nice. You won't have to worry about scratching that finish.

JL..............

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Nickel View Post
          All of the machines I've "restored" have been working machines. I didn't clean and repaint for YouTube clicks or internet cred. I rebuilt them because the rusty old junker was all I could afford- or often, even just find.

Over the years I've rebuilt a Nichols horizontal mill because I wanted the extra capability- or easier capability, if you prefer- of a horizontal spindle. I rebuilt my big Springfield because I needed a larger lathe with more horsepower. I rebuilt the little Hardinge because that particular beater was the only one in a price range I could afford. I rebuilt the Exacto mill because, well, it was free and would have been scrapped had I not.

The Nichols is quiet, powerful, reliable and accurate, and over the years I've collected a pretty good selection of tools for it. It's quite handy. The Springfield may be the second most accurate lathe I have, only after the CNC, It, too, is smooth, powerful and reliable. The little Hardinge has proven amazingly useful.

I suppose I could have simply repaired each of these machines, and left them cosmetically as-received. But if the part was being dismantled for cleaning and repairs anyway, clean paint doesn't take a great deal more effort.

My almost fully rebuilt turret lathe (I didn't get into the headstock.)
          The little Hardinge.
          The big Springfield, that was rebuilt to the point of sending the bed off to be ground.

Yes, there's a lot of guys on YT that just hit everything with a power wire brush, mask and spray paint. Those guys are just doing it for the views and clicks. I built mine to use and make money on. There's a difference.

Doc.
          I liked the pace of your vids, didn't dwell too much on any one thing. Short enough to stay focused.

And you ended up with some nice machines.
          John Titor, when are you.

Comment

Yep, a large variety of responses. So, why not mine.

I bought my SB lathe about 15 years ago and it was, of course, second hand. And the paint did show the years. After cleaning it up and getting it running, I decided to paint it. I bought a can of gray and started with the easiest piece to remove, the banjo. That got painted and it looks nice. Then I started using it.

Somehow, it has managed to keep working for all of those 15 years with no further painting. And I don't feel any strong urges to do so.
            Paul A.
            SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
            You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

I'm envious of the attention to detail and ability to take stuff to the next level you guys possess. I get things to about 90% and usable, then just drive on and start using it. I never seem to find the time to finish painting stuff, and really make it look nice. I'm trying to turn over a new leaf....but old habits are hard to change. Next project I finish I promise to paint it .

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Dubeau View Post
                I'm envious of the attention to detail and ability to take stuff to the next level you guys possess. I get things to about 90% and usable, then just drive on and start using it. I never seem to find the time to finish painting stuff, and really make it look nice. I'm trying to turn over a new leaf....but old habits are hard to change. Next project I finish I promise to paint it .
                I was at that 90% done with the Wadkin Transformation,but got it done eventually Big Project and I do enjoy the designing side of it. Click image for larger version

Name:	8B4FA97D-33AE-4937-8645-1EAD7A74F7CF.png
Views:	127
Size:	2.75 MB
ID:	1971589 Click image for larger version

Name:	8D0613DF-95A7-4A1E-9BD0-624BA3FD834A.png
Views:	117
Size:	3.54 MB
ID:	1971590

Comment

edit
                  Last edited by Jonesy; 11-27-2021, 06:01 AM.

Comment

Here are a few pics of my latest restoration. My Di Acro 24" finger brake. Last winter I did all the cleanup and machining of the fingers. I posted pics of all that.
                    This past summer I stripped the stand and the main casting.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20211123-185634.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	260.7 KB
ID:	1971610

These are the parts that I painted yellow. Some parts are for the brake and the smaller parts are for the 12" slip roll.
                    I matched the colors as close to the originals as I could.

Name:	IMG-20211123-145700.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	201.4 KB
ID:	1971611

This is the slip roll, still under construction.

Name:	IMG-20211123-145731.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	246.2 KB
ID:	1971612

This is what the base of the slip roll looked like when I got it. The brake was in the same condition.

Name:	IMG-20210728-113133.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	234.2 KB
ID:	1971613

Some parts after painting.

Name:	IMG-20211106-190113.jpg
Size:	288.6 KB
ID:	1971614

JL.....................

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
                      Here are a few pics of my latest restoration. My Di Acro 24" finger brake. Last winter I did all the cleanup and machining of the fingers. I posted pics of all that.
                      This past summer I stripped the stand and the main casting.

Name:	IMG-20211123-185634.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	260.7 KB
ID:	1971610

These are the parts that I painted yellow. Some parts are for the brake and the smaller parts are for the 12" slip roll.
                      I matched the colors as close to the originals as I could.

Name:	IMG-20211123-145700.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	201.4 KB
ID:	1971611

This is the slip roll, still under construction.

Name:	IMG-20211123-145731.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	246.2 KB
ID:	1971612

This is what the base of the slip roll looked like when I got it. The brake was in the same condition.

Name:	IMG-20210728-113133.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	234.2 KB
ID:	1971613

Some parts after painting.

Name:	IMG-20211106-190113.jpg
Size:	288.6 KB
ID:	1971614

JL.....................
                      Very nice JoeLee,did the Razor Blade Trick work!

Comment

Very nice JoeLee,did the Razor Blade Trick work!
                        Yes, the razor blade trick works great. Raises the drive screw with out damaging the tag. All you need is enough to be able to grab it with small Vise Grips.

JL....

Comment

I was at that 90% done with the Wadkin Transformation,but got it done eventually Big Project and I do enjoy the designing side of it.
                          Every time you post a pic of that machine it makes me smile. Well done!. I think that would be a great addition to any shop.

You have more empty floor space in that picture than I have total in my entire shop. lol

Joe, you did very well with the restoration of that brake, better than new actually. I had to move mine the other day, and I thought of your restoration. I'd just like to get mine to the operation stage. I could have used it a couple times in the last few weeks.

Comment

When buying used machines I most often will pass on any machine that has been repainted. I want to see the original paint to give me an idea of the life the machine has led. And I don't want to pay for someone's labor spent disguising a machine's condition.
                            12" x 35" Logan 2557V lathe
                            Index "Super 55" mill
                            18" Vectrax vertical bandsaw
                            7" x 10" Vectrax mitering bandsaw
                            24" State disc sander

Comment

I spent a long time going though my 10ee and use it a decent amount. It’s not a garage queen.

Name:	81D3C4E1-A0BC-4E3B-A6E5-B4331A51AD22.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	3.62 MB
ID:	1971848

Comment

Some of my restorations. Ask yourself, which would you prefer to be presented with when you open the workshop door?

Colchester Bantam

Name:	bantambefore.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	179.4 KB
ID:	1971853 Click image for larger version

Name:	bantamafter.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	411.2 KB
ID:	1971850

South Bend lathe. This one was scraped and had the bed ground.

Name:	Sb10L before.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	1971851 Click image for larger version

Name:	SB10L after.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	1971852

Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
                                Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
                                Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

Working...
                                X