No announcement yet.

To paint or not to paint.? that is the question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eagle Surface grinder. Scraped all over.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Eagle Grinder before.jpg Views:	0 Size:	543.9 KB ID:	1971856 Click image for larger version  Name:	Eagle grinder finished 2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	184.7 KB ID:	1971855

Wellsaw 4" mechanical saw. Even this was scraped.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Wellsaw 01.jpg Views:	0 Size:	222.3 KB ID:	1971858 Click image for larger version  Name:	Wellsaw 21.jpg Views:	0 Size:	142.5 KB ID:	1971857

And here's my latest project, just bought yesterday. D'ya think I want to keep it looking like this after all the scraping, cleaning and servicing? Nope.

Click image for larger version

Name:	FN22_1.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	423.1 KB
ID:	1971859
    Last edited by Peter.; 11-25-2021, 03:16 AM.
    Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
    Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
    Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

Originally posted by David Powell View Post
      I have repaired a few battered machines, done my best to bring them back to working order, but , so far , have simply cleaned them and left them in appearance as purchased.
      I am becoming quite keen on restoring older machinery but wonder whether it is better to repaint, or if the appearance is reasonable, to simply leave the paint alone.
      All comments are welcome. Regards David Powell.
      Haa, I have used some of your methods (yeah, you gotta name) for cleaning old machinines without having to do a "rebuild".

Which in my opinion is not something being done anymore.

Hey, protect the machine from any rust, the sliding surfaces and everything else will follow. Make it work is my deal. Then move on, my biggest problem. Anyway.

Yeah David, I like your work. JR

Comment

What is known as 'the oily rag treatment' for vintage cars is popular here in the UK. The mechanical parts are fully restored, but the bodywork is given a wipe over with an oily rag to give a sheen to the paint, but otherwise left 'as found'. Similar for machine tools, I suppose
        'It may not always be the best policy to do what is best technically, but those responsible for policy can never form a right judgement without knowledge of what is right technically' - 'Dutch' Kindelberger

Comment

Doc, I also have a Nichols. A 1941 version. It's a bit clapped on the x axis with a shimmed and broken gib but still works sorta ok.

Attached Files

Comment

Nice. Yep, as these things were production mills, usually operated with "fast action" levers just cranking the table past the cutter in the X axis (and occasionally the Y) the tables almost always have considerable wear.

In the middle third of the travel of mine, you could rock the table visibly- like over an eighth of an inch at the ends.

The rest of the machine was in great shape, but that table kept it from being truly useful. A few years back I sent the table, saddle and some parts from a couple other machines, off to be reground, the whole saga of which was a fiasco and expensive, but in the end worth it.

I had to make a new gib for the saddle- they had to grind like forty thou off- and because the thing's not screw-adjustable, there was a lot of fiddling, and I eventually had to shim it a touch, but now the table is as tight and stable as new.

I see you've got one thing I've been strongly considering doing with mine- sticking a power feed on the right-hand end of the table...

Doc.
            Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

Working...
            X