No announcement yet.

restoring and painting air cooled engine cylinders and other engine components

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^. Dry ice will just turn into CO2 gas and leave nothing stuck or hidden in places to do harm. Also, as said above, if this engine is ever going to see air service again, check with an A&P mechanic for what can and can not be done and/or used.
    Robin

Happily working on my second million Gave up on the first

Comment

Originally posted by rdfeil View Post
      THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^. Dry ice will just turn into CO2 gas and leave nothing stuck or hidden in places to do harm. Also, as said above, if this engine is ever going to see air service again, check with an A&P mechanic for what can and can not be done and/or used.
      Good idea! I have a customer that sells dry ice blasters for HV maintenance. Going to give him a ring tomorrow!
      Otherwise I am just going to wire brush it for now and call it good enough.
      Cheers,
      Jon

Comment

The reason you see black cylinders ( and heads ) is that black dissipates more heat than any other color ( Radiant !) hands down !
        I amazes me to see air compressors or other machines with fins for cooling and they are green,blue, or silver ..
        So if color is required, use black, or black, or just black

Rich
        Green Bay, WI

Comment

So true, the color black does have an uncanny ability to to both transmit and absorb infrared energy, no argument there, black is thermal radiation's friend.

One has to ask the question though as to why almost all air cooled aircraft engines, while often wearing black cylinders, will more than likely use as cast and unfinished aluminum cylinder heads. The greatest amount of heat on any valve-in-head internal combustion engine originates from the cylinder head, not the cylinder.
          Large radial engines usually incorporate the cylinder and head as one unit and most are in the white also.

I'm thinking that the greatest amount of heat is transmitted through convection and not radiation and the paint acts like somewhat of a barrier.

Click image for larger version  Name:	QBU3VBS6Q7meJOw2w2R4yx5JFVGdW4-KLpc3YJsN4teejslnEI4RV2HGVgg_5la1-rBOEqF0JgQ8Hsp2eDUbY3uYS4_WEgahWSyMgp3VPDtjKw0y8qbFHJS5Qpdbx5GFkJKo_ERGJpV9ILMzfvYLg2QQuQ0cEz1qG9vo1Ph-lE84EzQJ5gcum5NlTEqO-KQ5Y2Qrzx7C-yogN3Bro1EL2cLocaTTx1W-EodyEkK-o2K1A8MfCLWEPuWDq2qrsCY Views:	13 Size:	74.4 KB ID:	1971602

Click image for larger version  Name:	TSIO-520-R.jpg Views:	12 Size:	642.5 KB ID:	1971603
          Last edited by Willy; 11-23-2021, 08:20 PM.
          Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
          Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

The cylinder and head on mine are one piece too, Willy. I wonder if they dont paint the head portion just because nothing lasts with the heat, like exhausts.
            Cheers,
            Jon

Comment

I see my customer even offers a service for aviation!
              https://www.coldjet.com/dry-ice-blas...pace-aviation/
              Cheers,
              Jon

Comment

Originally posted by Willy View Post

I'm thinking that the greatest amount of heat is transmitted through convection and not radiation and the paint acts like somewhat of a barrier.

Yep, inside the cowling, there is noplace for heat to radiate TO. It's all ram air forced convection, which is far more effective anyhow. It's the same with electronics and heatsinks.

Keep eye on ball.
                Hashim Khan

Everything not impossible is compulsory

Comment

You have kids right? This sounds like a case for child labour If there ever was one . Small hands, small wire brush, and some leftover halloween candy....

Comment

Dan, I like the way you think!!
                    Cheers,
                    jon

Comment

Working...
                    X