Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone watch Ca Lem make his own 6 jaw chuck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sarge41
    replied
    Originally posted by J Tiers View Post

fixed it for you
    Thanks, Jerry, I need all the help I can get.

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    replied
    Originally posted by sarge41 View Post
    I agree with Mcgyver, they are most useful if you are working with thin walled tubing. ........................
    Sarge41
    fixed it for you

Leave a comment:

• macona
    replied
    I mean I never use my 3 jaw. The only time I use my 3 is to grab stuff that has an OD bigger than my 6 jaw can hold.

Leave a comment:

• Len
    replied
    So...the benefit would be not needing a 3 jaw ever again, no?

Leave a comment:

• sarge41
    replied
    I agree with Mcgyver, they are useful only if you are working with thin walled tubing. I have a mint condition Ingersol chuck and rarely ever use it.

Sarge41

Leave a comment:

• IanPendle
    replied
    Originally posted by buffdan View Post
    He is amazing, very skilled and at a young age. Does anyone know where he lives?
    Yes, he's Vietnamese. I think that he's older than he actually looks (which does not detract from his skills). He's also a talented graphical designer but has stated in the past that he has eyesight problems if using a computer all the time. A very, very impressive individual and apparently fearless in tackling projects of all kinds and complexity.

Leave a comment:

• macona
    replied
    Originally posted by oxford View Post

Honest question, what would make a 6 jaw more precise than a 3 jaw if the manufacture of the vise was equal?

I would think the 6 jaw would have the tendency to be less precise if 2 opposing jaws contacted and allowed rocking on solid material.
    My jaws have all been ground in place on the lathe and I usually get very consistent grip. 6 jaws give nice even force around the part, basically as close as you can get to a collet without using a collet or a pot chuck. At least with mine once I adjust the chuck it is very accurate throughout the range with little runout.

You can also take out every other jaw and use it as a 3 jaw too.

The only bad thing about a 6 is the minimum diameter you can hold is larger than what you would have with a 3. Mine will hold down to about 1/4". For anything less Ill grab a 5C or 2J collet. I have a monarch 8" three jaw but only use it when I need to grab something large, stock 4 jaw too.

Leave a comment:

• oxford
    replied
    Originally posted by macona View Post
    Forrest Addy was big about saving 6 jaws for that super precise stuff.
    Honest question, what would make a 6 jaw more precise than a 3 jaw if the manufacture of the vise was equal?

I would think the 6 jaw would have the tendency to be less precise if 2 opposing jaws contacted and allowed rocking on solid material.

Leave a comment:

• Dan Dubeau
    replied
    I think most projects like this on youtube are done FOR youtube. They don't math out in the traditional sense. More of an impressive display of skills and techniques. Truthfully I'd rather watch 30 minutes of that, than anything found on mainstream tv these days. It's also refreshing to read the comments on some of these videos from people outside the manufacturing community that find this interesting. The more people who learn that stuff just doesn't magically grow on trees the more the trade is able to grow.

I'd also love to have a 6 jaw, but I have no interest in going through the process of making one. Certain things just make sense to buy for most people.

Leave a comment:

• Peter.
    replied
    In the vid he claims it was to be entry into a competition. Fair play to him I'm sure it would have come at or near the top if only he had finished it in time.

Either way, it was inspiring to watch the processes.

Leave a comment:

• macona
    replied
    Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post

yeah, its a great demonstration of skill and determination, but I agree. Plus, I don't think they are that useful unless you're doing a lot thin walled tubing.

In the first stage of machining, you make things to challenge yourself. As time goes by and you realize you won't live for ever (and have already acquired and made a lot of stuff) the focus shifts to making unique items. Both stages are enjoyable and whatever one you are in is the right one
    Nah, I almost exclusively use my buck adjust-tru 6 jaw. its great. Forrest Addy was big about saving 6 jaws for that super precise stuff but I will never, ever wear this chuck out in my lifetime.

Leave a comment:

• vectorwarbirds
    replied
    Originally posted by buffdan View Post
    He is amazing, very skilled and at a young age. Does anyone know where he lives?
    Vietnam

Leave a comment:

• buffdan
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Rich Carlstedt
    replied
    Originally posted by plunger View Post
    Im trying to wrap my head around how he did the scroll.
    I think the ending shot of the Table feed (ala Servo) throws you off.
    Say the scroll has a .400" pitch ( .200 land/.200 scroll groove)

He has a DC motor turning gears which turn the Rotary Indexer (Scroll Plate).
    The gears turn the index 40 turns, but then reduce that 20/1 to turn the shaft just 2 turns.
    The shaft feeds the lead screw for 2 full turns .... and the Servo drive does nothing.
    it is a head scratcher
    Rich

Leave a comment:

• Mcgyver
    replied
    Originally posted by polaraligned View Post
    Wow. I will just purchase one....I prefer to make things I can't buy.
    yeah, its a great demonstration of skill and determination, but I agree. Plus, I don't think they are that useful unless you're doing a lot thin walled tubing.

In the first stage of machining, you make things to challenge yourself. As time goes by and you realize you won't live for ever (and have already acquired and made a lot of stuff) the focus shifts to making unique items. Both stages are enjoyable and whatever one you are in is the right one

Leave a comment:

Working...
X