Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wanna see what's inside a POS Milwaukee drill chuck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like the same chuck on my Milwaukee 14.4 volt drill. Had it since the early or mid 90's and never had a problem. I did clean and oil it once. Did you have a habit of over tightening it?

JL................

Comment

Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post

Milwaukee has been made in China for quite some time now , it says so right on the box
      I'm not sure everything is. When I bought my German made drill a lot of smaller stuff was being made in china but not everything.
      Southwest Utah

Comment

I know a few upper engineering types at miltool as we call it around here. I delight in hassling them about the crap quality of their chucks. They get all defensive when I bitch about wobbly quills right out of the box. And the crunchy action when tightening the chuck. And how the chucks slip and grind away at the shanks of drill bits. Then they go through the roof when I quip they're all chinesium junk and all are owned by the same government company. Then I can hear teeth grinding when I state I might as well go buy a Harbor freight or Dewalt drill as it's the same thing Milwaukee resells in red with the same crap chuck.

edit:
        Then a final stab whereas they then switch their brain off. The LED on the base shines on the chuck, not on the area of the workload. Pull the trigger and you get a nice dark shadow where the drill is against the workload. Pure brilliance in design.
        Last edited by I make chips; 11-30-2021, 09:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post

Milwaukee has been made in China for quite some time now , it says so right on the box
          I was actually glad to see this on the DeWalt box, in fact id settle for just about any other place in the world then what you just mentioned...

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06029.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	1972570

also can attest to these two claims, Iv never owned a 1/2" drill with this much ballz, corded or cordless, I gave it the test in high gear and tried to hold back the chuck while gunning it --- I should have had a bucket of cold water ready to dunk my hand in as things heated up so quick I thought i was going to get a blister lol

Name:	DSC06028.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	1972571

Name:	DSC06027.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	1972572

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
            Looks like the same chuck on my Milwaukee 14.4 volt drill. Had it since the early or mid 90's and never had a problem. I did clean and oil it once. Did you have a habit of over tightening it?

JL................
            In construction all drills are tightened and untightened using power, all components should be able to withstand this method. Using a press fit on a plastic collar in a drill chuck is unacceptable in my book. The outer metal collar is thin and any bumps, dings or dents is going to result in it losing it press fit grip. In researching the Rohm 50 and 80 series chucks I see no plastic in their construction. This Milwaukee chuck is just cheap and not thought out, probably designed by some cubical driver, which we have all probably experienced in our trades.

Comment

Greg at the museum bought a Hitachi drill to replace his old DeWalt 18V and couldn't get on with the chuck, so we swapped chucks which were both 1/2UNF with the lefthand threaded locking screw in the middle. I have a new Japanese made all metal chuck sitting at home just in case one of my 1/2" chucks on my 18V drills give trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post

I was actually glad to see this on the DeWalt box, in fact id settle for just about any other place in the world then what you just mentioned...

also can attest to these two claims, Iv never owned a 1/2" drill with this much ballz, corded or cordless, I gave it the test in high gear and tried to hold back the chuck while gunning it --- I should have had a bucket of cold water ready to dunk my hand in as things heated up so quick I thought i was going to get a blister lol

I have a co-worker with an older version of the DeWalt drill, it came from the factory with one of the good Rohm chucks. It also has enough torque to easily sprain your wrist. The MilkWeed would break your wrist, but the chuck slips first.
                25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Originally posted by chipmaker4130 View Post

I'm not sure everything is. When I bought my German made drill a lot of smaller stuff was being made in china but not everything.
                  I dunno about the European brands ( they are probably better than the stuff sold in the US)
                  But I read the box and the instructions, and they all stated that everything was produced in China. Only the design rights and the sales were in the US (theoretically...)

Milwaukee themselves stated that they are designed in the US and built in China to US specs.
                  Box was made in China.
                  Instructions were printed in China. etc. etc. etc.

That was 3 or 4 yrs ago tho, it maybe different now.
                  Last edited by nickel-city-fab; 11-30-2021, 06:49 PM.

Comment

Milwaukee has manufacturing facilities in China, Europe and four plants in the US that have recently been expanded.
                    However their most popular products are still made in China. I have no idea how, if, or when this will change.Likely not.

Personally I have had no issues with any of the cordless or corded Milwaukee tools I have ( I don't have anything with a plastic chuck)
                    I also can't complain about the quality level that the Chinese factories have provided, of course under whatever edict the bean counters at Milwaukee HQ request them to build.

However whether it is offshore components in a Ford or a Chevy or a HF table-saw, every dollar sent overseas strengthens their economy and weakens ours. Unfortunately I don't foresee this to change. Wish it could, and I'm as guilty as the next guy. I's almost unavoidable at this point.
                    Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                    Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Originally posted by Willy View Post
                      However whether it is offshore components in a Ford or a Chevy or a HF table-saw, every dollar sent overseas strengthens their economy and weakens ours. Unfortunately I don't foresee this to change. Wish it could, and I'm as guilty as the next guy. I's almost unavoidable at this point.
                      Same here, the only reason I have any Milwaukee tools is because they were gifts. I try to keep ALL of my money in the USA even if I have to save fro months, or buy used. I can't afford to keep making Wall St and the Chinese rich, but I can give a working class guy a job. Sort of like me, just one working stiff helping out another.

Comment

The no name, OEM chuck was just too big so I got a Rohm 1/2" chuck for my big drill press and I use it there all the time. No problems. It is a key style, not key-less.

Since when was Milwaukee a "higher end drill"? This seems to show the total opposite is the case. Not only plastic but I have aluminum foil that is thicker than that outer shell. I mean, how cheap can you get?
                        Paul A.
                        SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
                        You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
                          The no name, OEM chuck was just too big so I got a Rohm 1/2" chuck for my big drill press and I use it there all the time. No problems. It is a key style, not key-less.

Since when was Milwaukee a "higher end drill"? This seems to show the total opposite is the case. Not only plastic but I have aluminum foil that is thicker than that outer shell. I mean, how cheap can you get?
                          Well they were 'high end' back in the Hole Hawg and Hole Shooter days of cords. Maybe not so much today but is there a higher end cordless drill besides maybe a 400 buck Hilti? Maybe Bosch? As someone mentioned I am tied to the battery because others don't offer near the amount of different tools. But other than the cheap chuck I have had zero problems with their corded or cordless tools and I read if you send the drill in they will replace the chuck for free, but who has that time and probably the same chuck!

Comment

Originally posted by vectorwarbirds View Post

In construction all drills are tightened and untightened using power, all components should be able to withstand this method. Using a press fit on a plastic collar in a drill chuck is unacceptable in my book. The outer metal collar is thin and any bumps, dings or dents is going to result in it losing it press fit grip. In researching the Rohm 50 and 80 series chucks I see no plastic in their construction. This Milwaukee chuck is just cheap and not thought out, probably designed by some cubical driver, which we have all probably experienced in our trades.
                            Some of these chucks can NOT be tightened correctly under power. You can get the bit in decently quick under power but that's NOT fully tight in the chuck. You'll know you have one of these chucks if you tighten it by hand and it clicks like a ratchet. Tightening these by holding the outer ring of the chuck while you run the drill with the trigger will NOT get these tight. Amongst these type are the Rohm chucks mentioned earlier with the hex front. If you are not ratcheting them down by hand you are not using them correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by eKretz View Post

Some of these chucks can NOT be tightened correctly under power. You can get the bit in decently quick under power but that's NOT fully tight in the chuck. You'll know you have one of these chucks if you tighten it by hand and it clicks like a ratchet. Tightening these by holding the outer ring of the chuck while you run the drill with the trigger will NOT get these tight. Amongst these type are the Rohm chucks mentioned earlier with the hex front. If you are not ratcheting them down by hand you are not using them correctly.
                              Tightens the same under power but getting proper torque for tightening is much harder.
                              Most cordless drills nowadays have more than enough power but the problem is control... metal sleeved rohm chuck is super fast way to remove calluses

Inspired by this thread I ordered Rohm Supra SK E chuck to try. https://www.suncoasttools.com/crm/It...dorNumber=ROHM
                              Self-tightening with locking ring for reverse use. Will report in a week or two how this performs.
                              Price was lot cheaper as Bosch spare part

Comment

Originally posted by MattiJ View Post

Tightens the same under power but getting proper torque for tightening is much harder.
                                Most cordless drills nowadays have more than enough power but the problem is control... metal sleeved rohm chuck is super fast way to remove calluses

Inspired by this thread I ordered Rohm Supra SK E chuck to try. https://www.suncoasttools.com/crm/It...dorNumber=ROHM
                                Self-tightening with locking ring for reverse use. Will report in a week or two how this performs.
                                Price was lot cheaper as Bosch spare part
                                Will be interesting to hear your report, I did note this in the specs:
                                • No throughhole: chucks must be tightened onto the spindle with high torque

Comment

Working...
                                X