Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wanna see what's inside a POS Milwaukee drill chuck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vectorwarbirds View Post
    "Installing Bits Always remove the battery before inserting or removing bits. "
    Remove the battery? ---------- then how am I going to tighten the chuck? lol

Comment

I just re-checked my old DeWalt hammer drill with the Jacobs chuck ---- it does have the click-back increment, it's just all so sloppy worn out that you barely feel it in comparison to the new one....

Comment

Milwaukee is moving into the years ago abandoned Delphi / Packard Electric building in Clinton Ms. Maybe this bodes well for the red tools. a couple of years ago I used my daughters Dewalt drill and was so impressed with it, I ordered one for myself. Hers is 18V with a metal chuck. The one that I got is 20V, but has the plastic chuck. Fingers crossed.
        “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

Here are the manual instructions for the Milwaukee, I see nothing about one click back on any of their chucks, is this just some internet BS? Also note we should all be removing the battery to change bits! Fat F**king Chance Bozo!😄
          Like I said, manuals written by lawyers!
          If it ratchets when tightening it's a locking chuck.

If it hadn't of been in the manual for my Bosch's Rohm chuck I wouldn't have know either. This gross oversight is likely the reason so many are unaware of this since neither your Milwaukee or AK's DeWalt manual mentions this.
          Good grief, what a sad state of affairs, more concerned about removing the battery than proper use of the tool!

Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
          Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Originally posted by Willy View Post

If it hadn't of been in the manual for my Bosch's Rohm chuck I wouldn't have know either. This gross oversight is likely the reason so many are unaware of this since neither your Milwaukee or AK's DeWalt manual mentions this.
            Good grief, what a sad state of affairs, more concerned about removing the battery than proper use of the tool!
            Willy - I have a broken DeWalt chuck that I know was a click type, it spit out one of its jaws a long time ago but I always save parts,,, I might have to tear into it and go over the fine details as to just how and why this mechanism works... if I get bored and have the time I will post what it's all about...

I will add this about the "feature" if it is a locking mechanism it's easily unlocked when using the drill (as a drill) and bumping the grip casing on something, it will go back to the original position and we all know casings get "bumped" while using I mean look at even the steel ones they are beat to crap and the plastic ones are unrecognizable lol
            Last edited by A.K. Boomer; 12-02-2021, 12:23 PM.

Comment

Thank you, would be interesting to see the results of the autopsy.
              Inquiring minds need to know.

Comment

come to think of it - Vectors already got one apart, im thinking it would take meticulous cleaning to see the details but sounds doable...

Comment

I wonder if this is actually meant for Rohm Supra SK style chucks?
                  Supra SK has separate locking ring

OK, here is actual manual from Rohm extra rv 80
                  https://eshop247.roehm.biz/DE-en/doc...download/65468
                  I don't see anything that says that the chuck should be loosened before drilling.
                  Last edited by MattiJ; 12-02-2021, 02:11 PM.

Comment

The vid in Willy's post #42 is very convincing --- except for when your wanting the meat and potatoes part of how he arrived at the conclusion and the answer is " I had no idea about this till someone told me about it last week"

I don't know either - it's all inconclusive until we tear one apart or hear it from the chuck manufacturers...

Comment

Well I am calling bulls**t until its a proven fact. It goes against all previous chuck operations, keyed or not, is completely unintuitive and is not in any of the chuck operation manuals I can find. A friend heard it from a friend who pulled it out of his a**. If its not in writing its BS in my book.

Comment

I don't know Willy --- im looking at it as if it were true and they didn't mention it then that's leaving the flood gates open for lawsuits,,, so maybe manuals NOT written by lawyers if that's the case and they should have been if the chuck needs to be clicked back for locking purposes --- I mean can you imagine the repercussions ?

"I was using my drill as a drill when the bit then wobbled and I lost my balance on the latter --- I had no idea at the time that the bit came loose, when your bracing for the torsion and then all the sudden it's gone it can take you by surprise,,, - I fell on my Wife - my high school sweetheart - Im a little overweight - I killed her almost instantly, im now a quad from breaking my C1 in the fall so I have to have constant assistance - my life is ruined all because the drill company did not mention the locking feature of the chuck they are built with, oh yeah - my dog just died also... "

Comment

I found a very good and detailed explanation of what is described by Bosch as an autolock feature that my particular drill came with on it's Rohm all metal chuck. Not sure of the exact model of chuck it has as I'm too busy at the moment to look it up.
                          However the link below goes into great detail complete with lots of illustrations to help visualize the internal workings, so no need to dissect the internals of your own chucks. LOL
                          I have not had time to do more than just have a cursory quick peek, I'll leave that for when I get back in the house as I'm up to my armpits in alligators at the shop at present.
                          Hope this link is a good one to help shed light on this elusive "feature".

I'm thinking this feature is found on a lot of chucks as it does seem to cross many flavors of drills.

https://patents.google.com/patent/US7757374

Keyless chuck with automatic and manual locking

Abstract

A keyless chuck having both an automatic locking feature and a manual locking feature. The automatic locking feature provides for automatic locking of the chuck in a tightened state when a predetermined tightening torque has been exceeded. The chuck can be utilized with only the automatic locking feature engaged. If desired, a manual locking feature can also be engaged wherein rotation of the outer sleeve relative to the body is prevented. A retaining feature can be employed to inhibit the movement of the manual locking feature between a locked and unlocked position. The retaining feature thereby avoids accidental engaging or disengaging of the manual locking feature.

Comment

Well I am calling bulls**t until its a proven fact. It goes against all previous chuck operations, keyed or not, is completely unintuitive and is not in any of the chuck operation manuals I can find. A friend heard it from a friend who pulled it out of his a**. If its not in writing its BS in my book.
                            Tell this to Makita as the video I left previously comes from Mother Makita herself.

Comment

Tell this to Makita as the video I left previously comes from Mother Makita herself.
                              This has become quite the rabbit hole eh! Missed that vid but check where that video comes from - Makita Australia. Read the comments and they pretty much all concur that the info is wrong and it does not work. The comment guys say the guy in the video is just a rep. I found and read the Makita manual, it says nothing about a click back. It also seems in the video that the chuck keeps ratcheting past the point of when the chuck is tight, maybe so you can't overtighten. I am going to check that on my next visit to Home Dopey.
                              From the manual: Maybe a different chuck tho.
                              "Turn the sleeve counterclockwise to open the chuck jaws. Place the driver bit/drill bit in the chuck as far as it will go. Turn the sleeve clockwise to tighten the chuck. To remove the driver bit/drill bit, turn the sleeve counterclockwise."

Comment

Rabbit hole indeed.
                                Who'da thunk that after all these years of tool experience we are all debating on how to use a chuck. LOL

For what it's worth though my, autolock chuck as been doing what it should without fail...even before I was indoctrinated on the "correct" way.

Comment

Working...
                                X