Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wanna see what's inside a POS Milwaukee drill chuck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jim Stewart View Post

And I remember the Tylenol bottles with cyanide - 40 years ago. That's what started the trend.

-js

Yup - what an innocent world we used to live in that way,,, it still kinda gives you the creeps because someone could just carefully undo and glue but I kinda have an added layer of protection cuz I listen for the air escaping when i tear off the seal ( Im a mile high here) also the convex shape is a giveaway it's under pressure.

Comment

Ok chuck nuts the new Rohm has arrived and instructions as as posted below, so far much better than the original POS Milwacko. As future reference I bought this on Amazon and it listed at 40 bucks but if you scroll down a bit you will sometimes see "new and used" which I took a chance on a used one from Amazon, it turned out to be a brand new chuck in a beat up box for 28 bucks, so I am doublely happy! Less money and German to boot! I'll let you know what I think after a few battles. Cheers! BTW it took a 1/2 air impact to get the old chuck off.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT6537.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	530.1 KB
ID:	1973542

Name:	PICT6539.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	527.8 KB
ID:	1973543

Name:	PICT6540.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	513.5 KB
ID:	1973544

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Stewart View Post

And I remember the Tylenol bottles with cyanide - 40 years ago. That's what started the trend.

-js
        Yeah, I remember that. I still think they over reacted. Now everything is dictated by ambulance-chasers.
        I remember when suicidal woman tried to hit the third rail in the NYC subway.
        She lived. Lawyers made the case that the transit authority didn't provide adequate protection.
        They won.
        The next day, bus fares etc all went up a dollar statewide.
        Because the MTA is statewide.
        They never came down.
        25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Originally posted by vectorwarbirds View Post
          Ok chuck nuts the new Rohm has arrived and instructions as as posted below, so far much better than the original POS Milwacko. As future reference I bought this on Amazon and it listed at 40 bucks but if you scroll down a bit you will sometimes see "new and used" which I took a chance on a used one from Amazon, it turned out to be a brand new chuck in a beat up box for 28 bucks, so I am doublely happy! Less money and German to boot! I'll let you know what I think after a few battles. Cheers! BTW it took a 1/2 air impact to get the old chuck off.

]
          Awesome! Can you post the Rohm part number? For the rest of us future reference....

Comment

Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post

Awesome! Can you post the Rohm part number? For the rest of us future reference....
            Sho'nuff Nickel City!

Keyless Drill Chuck Extra80-RV13, Röhm 1328310, 1/2"-20 Mount, 1/16"-1/2 Capacity with Retaining Ring, Trough-Hole, Metal, 13mm

Comment

Originally posted by vectorwarbirds View Post

Name:	PICT6537.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	530.1 KB
ID:	1973542

Name:	PICT6539.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	527.8 KB
ID:	1973543

Name:	PICT6540.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	513.5 KB
ID:	1973544
              Looks identical to the chuck on my DeWalt. I have never had any problem with grip on that except when that instant braking causes it to loosen. And that generally only usually happens on larger things with lots of inertia like hole saws.

Comment

Originally posted by eKretz View Post

Looks identical to the chuck on my DeWalt. I have never had any problem with grip on that except when that instant braking causes it to loosen. And that generally only usually happens on larger things with lots of inertia like hole saws.
                It looks like the one my coworker has on his DeWalt, its a darn good chuck.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	2.40 MB ID:	1973698 Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	3.15 MB ID:	1973699 Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	3.95 MB ID:	1973700
                  Damn I hate recent Makita’s!
                  only way to remove the chuck is to chop it to pieces.
                  Tried chucking an allen key and whacking it it various instruments, largish impact wrench, TIG welder to heat up the metal parts until grease on chuck catch on fire... F*ck.. just the same as previous Makita. End up chopping the chuck with angle grinder. Even then you have to grind all the way to the thread and the shaft shoulder before it releases. No sign of any locking compound, just torqued to 600 ftlbs

Oh I installed the new Rohm/Bosch Supra SK-E chuck too..
                  More grip than the Rohm Extra RV 80 tested on 6mm hardened shaft.
                  Slipped on (hard) M10 threading tap shank and looked like jaws already took small hit. (Carbide insert jaws on Extra RV would be largely ignorant of this mishap.)
                  Time will tell if I like this Supra SK-E more than carbide jaw Extra 80RV
                  You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 3 photos.
                  Last edited by MattiJ; 12-08-2021, 04:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MattiJ View Post
                    Damn I hate recent Makita’s!
                    only way to remove the chuck is to chop it to pieces.
                    1/2" air impact with large hex socket. Works like a charm

Comment

• Originally posted by vectorwarbirds View Post

Wonder how your transmission liked it lol time will tell.

Comment

• Originally posted by vectorwarbirds View Post

Did I forget to mention impact wrench?
                        It's not like my first rodeo with removing drill chucks, recent Makitas have been just downright nasty!
                        (Makita dealer said that he can't replace chucks either without breaking the drill..)

Comment

• Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post

Wonder how your transmission liked it lol time will tell.
                          Spindle lock on my Makita sounded like rock crusher and started to spin along..

Comment

• Originally posted by MattiJ View Post

Spindle lock on my Makita sounded like rock crusher and started to spin along..
                            Dang --- tightening from usage ? and years of it?

I think at that point I would have disassembled the drill to see if I could clamp the internal "business end" into the vise using some UHMW grips and then go get the get it gun....

Comment

• Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post

Dang --- tightening from usage ? and years of it?

I think at that point I would have disassembled the drill to see if I could clamp the internal "business end" into the vise using some UHMW grips and then go get the get it gun....
                              I just dismantled my Makita drill to replace the bearings. The chuck had some wobble. I also replaced my original chuck with the locking Röhm chuck. All I did was chuck up some hex stock in the original chuck and clamp that in the bench vise. Put the drill in reverse and the chuck came right off easy peasy! You Scandovians should stay away from complicated tools! I have a brand new Makita 482Z drill that I will do the same. I will make a video of how I do it. Maybe it won't work this time so you can feel better.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

• Oh the locking ring on the Röhm is not a clutch ratcheting thingy. It is to give just a little more grab to whatever is in the chuck and to stop it from loosening when in reverse. I use mine all the time for tapping. If I don't give the locking ring a twist it won't hold the taps. I have one of these chucks on a morse taper 2 shank that I use in my lathe and magnetic drill.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Working...
                                X