Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No-name brand wedge tool posts - how bad are they?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had a piston style holder and when I realized it didn't actually repeat well and sometimes moved under load I got rid of it and got a wedge style. On my little 9 x 12 lathe that I converted to CNC I have a Tormach wedge style 0XA size tool post set and it is very nicely made.

Comment

Originally posted by sarge41 View Post

........................ When was the last time you bought a set of square headed sockets.
      Sarge41
      You don't need 'em. See the post before yours.

Keep eye on ball.
      Hashim Khan

Everything not impossible is compulsory

Birds are NOT real, they are spying on you

Comment

Originally posted by aribert View Post

Has anyone had a bad experience with a no-name wedge tool holder? I'd like an Aloris or similar but can't justify it unless buying used.
        Ill say no over here. I have all the off shore units. They, In my box.

Are you saying you are better than the tool you are using?

That is what you need to know? My tools are better than me. Plain and simple. So? Catch up to your tools.... JR

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post

You don't need 'em. See the post before yours.
          I saw it. I still say that anything like Allen headed screws or hex headed screws are the best thing to happen to square heads. We are in the 21st century.
          Sarge41

Comment

Originally posted by sarge41 View Post

I saw it. I still say that anything like Allen headed screws or hex headed screws are the best thing to happen to square heads. We are in the 21st century.
            Sarge41
            You are welcome to your opinion.

But the wrench is not the issue. You got lots of wrenches to fit them.

Keep eye on ball.
            Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by Randy View Post
              A lot of talk about replacing the set screws. Do any of you use square head set screws? They're often seen on 4-way TPs, especially older ones. I chose them for my shop-built QCTP because I never have to clean chips out of sockets. They can be gotten with dog points, but my local hardware store has only cup points, so I machine dog points on to them. They're very hard, tough to machine (though not a problem) and don't mushroom in use. I have a small lathe, and 1/4-20 screws are the appropriate size, so the wrench was easy. Just glue a T-handle hex wrench and a 1/4" drive socket together. A wrench would be more challenging for metric screws. I like them. Something to consider.
              I have thought about it, for that very reason, the "lucky" chips that somehow land in the hex socket and fit like they are pressed in. Only drawback I found was the cost, I haven't found a good source for square headed setscrews in metric. I also looked at 12 point bolts, but those are spendy in the $2-3 each range.

I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

I bought a wedge bxa no name off ebay for 250$ and overall im pretty impressed with it.

I made about 6 more tool holders for it from cast iron, easy to machine and i cut the dove tail on my taig using a 3/8 x 3/4 60 degree dovetail cutter. Dont reef on the handle lol, but you dont need to.

The geometry of the wedge holder is self stabilizing, one issue i could see between a high quality tool holder and a cheap one, is the squareness and stiffness of the thumbscrew that sets the tool height. The wedge pulls the holder down as it tightens, but not by much.

If you are chasing tenths for repeatability between tool changes, maybe you can afford a 1000$ tool holder.

Comment

Originally posted by aribert View Post
                  Has anyone had a bad experience with a no-name wedge tool holder? I'd like an Aloris or similar but can't justify it unless buying used.
                  I didnt say it right. I meant to say I dont have or have not had any issues with the no-name wedge holders. And I do have those in my line up and use them as much as the Dorian or Aloris. BXA for my size (still looking someone, for the larger "DXA" which is a C size, just not CXA).

I find them heads and shoulders much easier to use then a Lantern post so any of them is a benefit for me.

As far as a comparison between a No name brand that is still a comparison that I cant see any diff in. I have Phase II tool blocks, they are not "no name" anymore but used to be. They are also very nice tool blocks, IMO. JR

Comment

I have seen import toolposts in 2 extremes.
                    Either the holders do not fit at all and will not drop on
                    or they fit too loose. By too loose I mean the handle
                    comes around quite far before it locks the holder.
                    I am using an genuine Aloris toolholder
                    as my control or base of comparison, and trying to fit it on
                    some import toolposts I have come across.
                    That being said, I believe piston type toolposts are a bit
                    more forgiving as far as the toolholder can vary in side
                    and the handle will lock up at a more consistent position,
                    for what that is worth.

--Doozer
                    DZER

Comment

Reading all the responses makes me utter meh.
                      I prefer this ultra precise and repeatable holder from yes,, Pakistan which by the way is pretty cheap.

Actually only having a wimpy south bend 9 inch a Boxstar AXA from CDCO works fine for me.

Attached Files

Comment

End of the argument, the only thing the toolholder HAS to do is hold the tool solidly. All the rest is gravy. Looks like the pictured one is getting it done, whatever else you say about it.

Keep eye on ball.
                        Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by I make chips View Post
                          Reading all the responses makes me utter meh.
                          I prefer this ultra precise and repeatable holder from yes,, Pakistan which by the way is pretty cheap.

Actually only having a wimpy south bend 9 inch a Boxstar AXA from CDCO works fine for me.
                          Yeah, thanks. I all most drowned in my sudds, thanks. Funny as all get out. JR

I have been a proponent for the AXA size from day one. They can be over worked folks. An AXA will work with a 12-14" lathe. jr

Comment

Working...
                          X