Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Navy Caps. My Uncle's (Kearsarge) and mine. You have any Ship's Caps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• flathead4
    replied
    I still have mine. I had to dust them off for the picture and the elastic is shot. My wife wonders why I keep old stuff like this but she never throws it out. If she decides to start throwing out old stuff, I'd probably be the first. Yes sorry for your loss. Funny how everyone who served seems to have a connection.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	cgn-35hat.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	241.2 KB
ID:	1973303

Leave a comment:

• Len
    replied
    I can't find mine!
    USS Cleveland LPD7.
    53 years ago.
    Where does time go?

Leave a comment:

• Cheap Jon
    replied
    I was at the Toledo RC show some years back, there was a model of the USS Indianapolis there was an elderly gentleman standing by it with a USS Indianapolis cap on. He was crying, this shows you how strong the memories are and how important things like caps and models can be to the people who lived them or had a friend that did. I graduated in1964, I worked with a guy who wore sailor hat and light blue work shirt every day, some people would make fun of him, I got to know him and he told me how he jumped off of the flight deck of the USS Lexington in WW 2. The only hat I have has NRA on it. I salute those that served.

Jon
    SW Mi

Leave a comment:

• Richard P Wilson
    replied
    In the UK, judges put on a black cap when they were going to sentence the prisoner to hang---.

Leave a comment:

• Black Forest
    replied
    I have a solid black cap no printing. Make of that what you will.

Leave a comment:

• MichaelP
    replied
    Originally posted by JRouche View Post

See My Uncle Donny died aug last year and its still hanging on me is all. And I dont have many folks to bounce this stuff off of.
    I'm sorry for your loss, JR.

Leave a comment:

• JRouche
    replied
    Originally posted by MichaelP View Post
    I'm trying to find any connection between those caps and machining.subjects, yet fail miserably.
    But I have some caps and Monarch too.
    Thats legitimate. Yes Sir.

See My Uncle Donny died aug last year and its still hanging on me is all. And I dont have many folks to bounce this stuff off of. I figured go to my best friends. Hahaa. Chit you not.

Yeah, I am still sad. So yeah, ball caps JR

P.S. The ship my Dad was on was the Yorktown CVS-10. I had to call my Mom for that one. How should I know? I wasnt even around yet ha. JR
    Last edited by JRouche; 12-05-2021, 01:22 AM.

Leave a comment:

• JRouche
    replied
    Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
    Not with me, he won't!

I was in the Army in Vietnam. I had a "short-timer's" cap. It was red and I put my rank insignia on it and wore it around the company area for two or three weeks while waiting to go. Battalion commander was a real starch-shirt, but even he did not say anything about it.

My wife threw it out along with the rest of my cap collection while I was at work. Go figure!

Yeah, you got to watch out for the wives, they will try to thow all of our stuff out. Including our lathes, mills, drill presses, grinders, welders and all the Machine Shop Related stuff

I loved your story!! Short timers Cap LOL!!! You pulled that off well!! JR

And I was only a Second Class Petty, real petty, Officer E-5.. Not E-7 JR

Click image for larger version

Name:	20211204_184103.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	1.80 MB
ID:	1973135

Leave a comment:

• JRouche
    replied
    Originally posted by old mart View Post
    JR will be in deep trouble for forgetting to put "OT" in the title.
    Hey? Lemme tell you, I was the first one to kick me in the azz for forgetting to do that. I normally do for the sole purpose of respecting others here that might not want to read the thread. Sorry. I did screw the proverble pooch JR

Leave a comment:

• Paul Alciatore
    replied
    Not with me, he won't!

I was in the Army in Vietnam. I had a "short-timer's" cap. It was red and I put my rank insignia on it and wore it around the company area for two or three weeks while waiting to go. Battalion commander was a real starch-shirt, but even he did not say anything about it.

My wife threw it out along with the rest of my cap collection while I was at work. Go figure!

Originally posted by old mart View Post

Leave a comment:

• old mart
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Richard P Wilson
    replied
    Oh, CAPS! When I first read it I thought it was CATS!

Leave a comment:

• MichaelP
    replied
    I'm trying to find any connection between those caps and machining.subjects, yet fail miserably.
    But I have some caps and Monarch too.
    Last edited by MichaelP; 12-04-2021, 10:22 AM.

Leave a comment:

• vectorwarbirds
    replied
    Would be interesting to know where these caps were made? I ask because my Monarch came out of the closing New Era factory in NY.

Leave a comment:

• JRouche
    replied
    P/S: I failed to mention that these are keepsake type Ships Caps, Our working lids were broke in and rough. I have those also. JR

Leave a comment:

Working...
X