Black diamond drill grinder collets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black diamond drill grinder collets?

I got a Black Diamond 1a drill grinder for free from a previous employer when they were doing a plant clean up. I don’t have any collets for it, worse part is the collets for that grinder were around at some point before I got the grinder but nowhere to be found when I got it.

Anyone familiar with these and have a suggestion for some kind of drill bit holding to make this usable? I doubt I will ever find a set of Black Diamond collets for a price I want to pay. I would be looking to at least do 1/16”-1/2” in 1/64” increments. Anything in between, letters or numbers or larger than 1/2” would be a plus.

I do have one of the master “cam” holders that could be modified if need be.

Originally posted by oxford View Post
    I got a Black Diamond 1a drill grinder for free from a previous employer when they were doing a plant clean up..
    You guys always get the best luck. Black Diamond? Top notch!! Collets, good luck.

If I can help I will. JR

Comment

I got a Black Diamond at the junk yard with a broken handle for $249. However the cabinet underneath had every collet!

Comment

Try to post a WTB ad on Practical Machinist. I recently bought a few missing collets there. Finding a full set would be more difficult, of course.

How about DIY? The winter is going to be long, anyway...
        Mike
        WI/IL border, USA

Comment

So I took another look at this 1a grinder. It states capacity of #60 - 11/32” and could maybe do 3/8”’before the holder is maxed out so the hopes for up to 1/2” and larger isn’t looking good without a bunch of modifications.

This one uses a 3/8” master collet and then split bushings go in that to hold the drills.

I have used a newer Black Diamond grinder at the last place I worked, I don’t know the model. That one used a 9/16” 3c collet for the master and had bushings up to 1/2”. You could grind larger than 1/2” up to the max size 3c collet you could get. We didn’t have any but I would grind 9/16” drills in the master collet.

So if I wanted to use this as is I am looking for split type bushings with a 3/8” OD and 1/64” - 11/32”. #1-60 would also be nice. I would maybe be able to get some kind of pin vise to work for the smaller drills.

Comment

The master collets are not 3C. They are close, but not the same. I have a surplus to my needs Black Diamond BW-80 just listed for sale at PM with collets 1/16"-1/2" by 1/64"s, letter A-Z and #1-30. The larger models have a 1⅛" OD drill holder, with which you can grind up to a 47/64" drill with the proper collet. The smaller models use a smaller OD drill holder and can only do up to ½" drills IIRC.

The bushings are pretty simple, you could probably just make them, but it would be a little time consuming.

Comment

The 1a is my go to for a home shop machinist type. Good luck getting the collet. They gone. JR

"I got a Black Diamond 1a drill grinder "
              '

Comment

The factory bushings from Black Diamond were lapped to size. Sure you can make your own but can you match their workmanship?

Comment

There are currently 18 listings for bags of Black Diamond drill collets on eBay. The lots include letter, number and fractional collets. They're all auctions with ZERO bids and starting prices of either $50.00 or $100.00 per lot. The seller has a 100% positive feedback with 1219 sales. It might be worth your time to check them out and ask some questions.

I attempted to purchase some collets from the new owner of Black Diamond a few years ago. At the time they were $40.00 each and the company had little interest in selling them. I ended up making half a dozen for my machine. It was a bit time consuming, but at the time it was about the only alternative.

Comment

Originally posted by projectnut View Post
                    There are currently 18 listings for bags of Black Diamond drill collets on eBay. The lots include letter, number and fractional collets. They're all auctions with ZERO bids and starting prices of either $50.00 or $100.00 per lot. The seller has a 100% positive feedback with 1219 sales. It might be worth your time to check them out and ask some questions.
                    I have seen those listings already. I wouldn’t mind buying but those ziplock bags full seem like a real crap shoot. I didn’t contact the seller but with the way they are packaged I didn’t think they were wanting to put a whole lot of effort into measuring or sorting anything.

I see some collets/bushings in the bags but I’m not positive everything in those bags are for the Black Diamond. I am kind of curious where they got all this stuff from, some of the listings have sorted bagged bushings with quite a few of the same size in each bag.

That is one of those I wish you could go and dig through the stuff in person.

Comment

It looks like they've gone into detail as far as showing what's in the packages. This listing has each bag individually marked as to it's content. The measurements are metric, but the bushings/collets are fractional. For instance the bag marked 4.16 (MM) is 5/32". The bag marked 7.05 (MM) is 9/32". To me they would be a great buy should you get them anywhere the initial asking price.

BLACK DIAMOND DRILL GRINDER COLLETS NUMBER LETTER & FRACTION MACHINIST GRINDING | eBay
                      Last edited by projectnut; 12-07-2021, 03:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by projectnut View Post
                        It looks like they've gone into detail as far as showing what's in the packages. This listing with has each bag individually marked as to it's content. . To me they would be a great buy should you get them anywhere the initial asking price.
                        120 bushings seems to make a full set. How many lots at $100- will you have to purchase to make a full set? That's if the assortments available even cover the full range.
                        What does Black Diamond want for a replacement set?

Comment

Q?
                          Can an ER40 collet holder (straight shank)
                          be modified to convert the collet system to
                          ER collets? This what I would explore.

-Doozer
                          DZER

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post
                            Q?
                            Can an ER40 collet holder (straight shank)
                            be modified to convert the collet system to
                            ER collets? This what I would explore.

-Doozer
                            I have thought about the ER style collet route. To use one I think it would need the master holder redesigned or at least in my case the larger style holders and then use an ER with a nut small enough to pass through the sleeve the holder fits in.

Comment

They are more expensive, but they do make ER50 collets too.

-D
                              Last edited by Doozer; 12-07-2021, 03:14 PM.
                              DZER

Comment

Working...
                              X