OT- To All Who Post on HSM - Assistance to our Continued Forum Use IMHO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bented View Post
    All of my picture files are hosted by a third party.
    This is anti-hobbyist, you actually have to pay money for it (-:
    Not everywhere...... Imgur is no cost..

Remember, if you are not paying for the product, then you ARE the product. They make money off what is posted in other ways than just charging you.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Everything not impossible is compulsory

Birds are NOT real, they are spying on you

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
      I think it's this business of re-posting a pic right under the same pic in your reply, it really is irritating, I can see dragging it to the next page so everyone knows what it's bout - that's normal --- but twice in a row - and then three or four? why

we've all made "mistakes" like this, but some just don't seem to get that it's irritating and also make a habit of it.... enough...
      "The next page" may be different for different people. It depends on your choice in your profile. e.g. I have mine set to 30 posts per page, you may have 15, or 60, or ??.

In general I wholeheartedly agree the continued re-posting of pictures and long texts is annoying and serves no useful purpose. I usually try to clip out blocks of text irrelevant to my comments, unless the entire quote is small.

But there are exceptions. For example: some picture or sketch with multiple features you might want to reference and comment on, by having them close at hand it avoids (both the poster and subsequent reader) having to scroll up and down to match the comments to the pictorial features. ...but that's in a slim minority of cases!
      Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

This isn't 20 years ago. Server space/web hosting costs currently range from cheap to dirt cheap to free.
        There are costs associated with maintaining a website but server space is the least of them.
        Gary

Appearance is Everything...

Comment

Originally posted by goose View Post
          This isn't 20 years ago. Server space/web hosting costs currently range from cheap to dirt cheap to free.
          There are costs associated with maintaining a website but server space is the least of them.
          I never thought about re-posting pictures in quotes but I have to agree multi terabyte servers are relatively inexpensive compared to what they were ten years ago. But I'm all for it if it can help in any way.
          However there are pros to re-posting pics in quotes.

JL.............

Comment

Speaking of common courtesy, I'd like to take this opportunity to once again suggest that the "What did you machine today?" and "what did you do today?" threads be locked and stickied, Both of them are a decade or more old and thousands of posts long, meaning that only a comparative handful of regulars use or even view it, and I'll bet a week's paycheck that NO new reader gets past the first dozen or so pages.

What DO those new readers see? Not machining content, that's for sure. As I was typing this, I went back ten pages- more than any new reader is going to bother with- and found a whopping six posts that actually had machining content.

Six.

(Brian's horizontal engine, Macona's new laser, Sid's belt sander, BCRider's lathe accessories, TrueTemper's shaft coupler, and Stepside's "fun with annular cutters".)

Personally, I'm a heavy enthusiast and longtime member, and I'm losing interest in coming here- because no one actually shows projects anymore. It all gets entombed in those antique, unsearchable, impenetrable sub-threads.

I'm not asking for them to be deleted or removed. I'm suggesting that they be locked, and stickied where they can be read at leisure by those that are interested, and then those of you that are actually posting picture of projects, do so in the open forum as usual, which is, after all, the whole reason for this board in the first place.

Doc.
            Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

^^here^^
              Mike
              WI/IL border, USA

Comment

This plan is not at all new. Been years people have been saying that. And it is true...

I've been her a LONG time, and I am slowing my reading here... just fewer and fewer things I even want to read. Those do NOT include the "shop made tools", nor the others mentioned.

Keep eye on ball.
                Hashim Khan

Everything not impossible is compulsory

Birds are NOT real, they are spying on you

Comment

I have been reducing my pictures to 800 pixels wide for some time. The older versions of the BB software did not reduce the size and a photo that was 2000, 3000, or even more pixels wide would be saved full size and it would also be displayed that size. The result was posts that were wider than anybody's screens and you had to scroll horizontally back and forth both to see the photos and to even read each and every line of the text which that software would also display at the full width of the picture. At that time the only way to prevent that was to reduce the size of the photo before uploading it.

Later versions of the vBulletin software solved that problem by reducing the picture size when it was uploaded. I believe that still is the case but I do not know the exact width that they have chosen and it is likely larger then 800 pixels.

I still try to reduce the size of any photos that I upload. And I still use that 800 pixel width. I use the Microsoft Paint program to do this and I also often use it to trim the vertical size to eliminate any unnecessary area. This is often done with drawings that I make to post. On the other hand, some photos and drawings will have a vertical format and I do not limit the vertical size to 600 pixels. I have posted drawings and photos with around 1000 vertical pixels and these do require the screen to be scrolled on many desktop monitors. I do not know how they fare on those tiny cell phone screens.

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                  Yes, almost certainly only a reference to the file is required.

The more important part of the matter is the file size to begin with. As I mentioned, it is rarely necessary to have better than 800 x 600 resolution in a picture. Higher resolution may or may not be at the root of slow display, but it most certainly affects space on the server.

It would be good if we all made sure that we do not post pics on the site pics area which are overly large, and especially not full resolution pics from smartphones etc, which are often huge.

I suggest standardly using 800 x 600, which is all I ever post, and which seems to work just fine.
                  Paul A.
                  SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
                  You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Nickel View Post

What DO those new readers see? Not machining content, that's for sure. As I was typing this, I went back ten pages- more than any new reader is going to bother with- and found a whopping six posts that actually had machining content.
                    You mean original threads I suspect, i post machining content in existing threads regularly as you know.
                    However I do not start new threads about machine work, when having done so in the past it has inevitably led to complaints.

Comment

Speaking of common courtesy, I'd like to take this opportunity to once again suggest that the "What did you machine today?" and "what did you do today?" threads be locked and stickied, Both of them are a decade or more old and thousands of posts long, meaning that only a comparative handful of regulars use or even view it, and I'll bet a week's paycheck that NO new reader gets past the first dozen or so pages.

Doc.
                      I get it and agree, The thing is, it is a Resource. I guess you guys didnt get to the library huh? Best place ever! No really. And the two lil titles. The ones you dont like? I think they should stay. Thats all..

"What did you machine today?" and "what did you do today?"

JR

Comment

Originally posted by Bented View Post
                        You mean original threads I suspect
                        -Precisely. If I ever want to read up on an older project I recall reading about, an individual thread can generally be found easily and quickly. A single post in any of those threads is virtually impossible to find, even if you know the poster's name, and worse, any series of photos, from an ongoing project, is scattered over dozens of pages, with literally hundreds of other posts, photos and other things in between.

What gets me is, this forum is intended for people to post projects and chat about machine tools, and those that post such things presumably want other people to see and comment upon them. That's literally the whole point of the board.

Instead, most of the actual machining content, photos of actual parts and projects, are stuck into a couple essentially-unsearchable sub-threads, where by previous conversations about them has shown, only a few of the regulars here actually read them.

The other part of the issue I have, is it undoubtedly turns away new readers. And that's not just my opinion, I've heard it from a few people on other boards, too. They come over here, look around, and don't see anyone actually working on a project. There's no creations or in-progress photos to be seen. It's all just grumpy old men talking about issues with UPS, trailer leaf springs, hanging shop gloves on a chuck key and using a toaster oven to powdercoat.

Where are the shiny new parts? Where are the chips? Where's the shot of a part in a chuck? Where's the shot of the part being fitted? There aren't any. They're all in a decade-old thread with seven thousand posts in it. That's like somebody handing you a 7,000 page novel- you're not even going to start on it, because there's no way to get through it.

So what do those new readers do? Go to Facebook. Facebook practically forces those photos on you- anything they can do to keep your dopamine levels up and your eyeballs locked into Facebook.

We should not be driving those readers away. We drive them away- or give them no reason to return, which is the same thing- and they find their interests and entertainment elsewhere.

Personally, I've built a ton of parts this past year, and installed no less than three new machines. But I usually don't bother posting about them here because no one else is.

I get it and agree, The thing is, it is a Resource. I guess you guys didnt get to the library huh
                        -No, it is in no way a 'resource'. To be a proper resource, the material is sorted and organized so a person can find it. Those threads are not resources, they're piles. We've taken all those useful library books and tossed them in a big heap- the information is still there, sure, but there's no way to locate the bit you might want.

Yes, a person can read through those threads if they have an idle moment, just as there are people who will grab random library books to read. But anyone looking for a specific book? Nope. They're gonna go elsewhere and find what they're looking for.

And once they've left, why should they come back?

Doc.
                        Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

-No, it is in no way a 'resource'. To be a proper resource, the material is sorted and organized so a person can find it. Those threads are not resources, they're piles.
                          Doc.
                          Disagree with that. Search man search. Used the forum search or google advance and restrict it to this site. I'm always finding answers via old, decades or more, posts in the various machining forums. Its a wealth of information. Just a new way of coming at vs the old annual indices, union lists, etc
                          in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

[snip]
                            Personally, I've built a ton of parts this past year, and installed no less than three new machines. But I usually don't bother posting about them here because no one else is.

[snip]
                            Are you ****tin' me? You go on and on complaining about members not posting projects and then admit that you don't either. And try to justify it? Hypocrisy supreme!

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post

Disagree with that. Search man search. Used the forum search or google advance and restrict it to this site. I'm always finding answers via old, decades or more, posts in the various machining forums. Its a wealth of information. Just a new way of coming at vs the old annual indices, union lists, etc
                              Be honest, the in-build search is feeble at best.

Comment

This entire forum isn’t hosted by George, it’s 100% on vBulletin. It’s why we have it so easy uploading pictures. I don’t know what their agreement is or if they even charge extra beyond a certain limit? Storage is cheap.

Comment

Working...
                                X