Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT- To All Who Post on HSM - Assistance to our Continued Forum Use IMHO

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Cenedd View Post
    Hi guys. At the risk of chiming in when I should probably know better and keep my mouth shut, there's another thing the mega threads are good for. Whilst I agree that some content has been hidden and some could better be it's own thread, I'm subscribed to those threads - and did read through them all slowly for interest partly for machining and partly as Baz said for the non-machining stuff. Every day or so I get an email notification and catch up on something that's going on. There is a social element to it but also a continuity element - I don't regularly have much time to go looking for new threads but a post in a mega thread will often pull me back in. If it then links to a project thread, I might well subscribe to that and once in a while have something worth adding.
    Some things are too small for their own "Look, I made a thingy" thread and would, I suspect get some equivalent of "Yeah? Big whoop!". These sort of threads do provide that and sometimes it sparks interest beyond "Oh, nice". At that point it might be best broken off into a separate thread...but somebody would have to proactively do that task and instead it often runs on.

    TLDR: Mega threads have some value. The social element, advertising (by means of email notification) a new project thread worth checking out, small posts that get more interest than anticipated.

    Can't see a problem splitting off to a new one yearly though. Wouldn't have a problem with someone moderating them to split off chunks into separate threads if necessary - the question would be, who has time and would be accepted?
    heh.....

    What you really are saying, even if you don't quite realize it, is that "the mega thread has become the forum".

    Instead of checking the forum, you check the mega thread.

    So, in a sense, you are totally agreeing with, and providing an example of, the very reason why some of us don;t like them.


    As for the "no big whoop" projects, I totally agree. If they could be restricted to that, they would be totally fine with me. That's sort of difficult, and nobody at VP has time for it.

    Perhaps there SHOULD be one....Just ONE, that is titled "What tiny project did you do today?"

    CNC machines only go through the motions

    Comment


    • I wasn't disagreeing with you Jerry, nor saying that said threads MUST be kept; just explaining what value I find in them. I'm easy with whatever gets decided but I suspect George knows that whatever is done (and I'm including "nothing" as a choice here), you won't please everyone.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Cenedd View Post
        I wasn't disagreeing with you Jerry, nor saying that said threads MUST be kept; just explaining what value I find in them. I'm easy with whatever gets decided but I suspect George knows that whatever is done (and I'm including "nothing" as a choice here), you won't please everyone.
        I know, I'm actually "kinda" agreeing with YOU!

        The "no big whoop" point is a very good one.

        But, it WAS amusing to realize just how the post could be interpreted!
        CNC machines only go through the motions

        Comment


        • Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
          But, it WAS amusing to realize just how the post could be interpreted!
          That is always the problem with casual text-based communication - mainly forums but also chat, SMS etc. It's so easy to read something into the way someone's written something, get all huffy about it and it just escalates from there. Well, since we both agree we should stop fighting and have a socially distanced beer. 4,000 miles should be enough for this new variant, right?!

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Cenedd View Post

            That is always the problem with casual text-based communication - mainly forums but also chat, SMS etc. It's so easy to read something into the way someone's written something, get all huffy about it and it just escalates from there. Well, since we both agree we should stop fighting and have a socially distanced beer. 4,000 miles should be enough for this new variant, right?!
            I already did.... there was no fight!
            CNC machines only go through the motions

            Comment


            • Bah. I was hoping for a challenge for pistols at dawn.

              -js
              There are no stupid questions. But there are lots of stupid answers. This is the internet.

              Location: SF Bay Area

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Jim Stewart View Post
                Bah. I was hoping for a challenge for pistols at dawn.

                -js
                International over-reaction....... read the original post of the sub-thread...... where I agree with one of the points (which I had actually made myself in at least one prior post). Should be obvious that there are not even any squirt guns.................
                CNC machines only go through the motions

                Comment


                • Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                  Should be obvious that there are not even any squirt guns.................
                  Hey, you leave our squirt guns out of this..... that's the highest we're allowed to escalate things this side of the pond!

                  Comment


                  • Much of the Mega Thread content is similar to the FacePlant members that constantly post their location or what their eating, etc.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post
                      Much of the Mega Thread content is similar to the FacePlant members that constantly post their location or what their eating, etc.
                      Hey, I found a shoe. Ill put it on JR

                      Found this nice cheeseburger joint here in Southern California!! (my house ) JR

                      Click image for larger version

Name:	burger.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	2.49 MB
ID:	1974904

                      Comment


                      • If anything this thread has highlighted the fact that many of use this board in different ways, and for different purposes. Some even for machining related activities and discussions .

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X