Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Busy Bee Tools Toronto just lost a sale, a potential big sale and a regular customer.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Busy Bee Tools Toronto just lost a sale, a potential big sale and a regular customer.

I decided to buy a new machine vice for one of my little mills. I went to the Great Gulf drive store. Looked at the vices, which were on show, chose the one I wanted( 139 $ on sale) pointed to it, told the salesman I would buy one. He went away for a minute or so, returned, asked which vice I wanted. I again pointed. he said' 'We are out of stock". I said, " Can you sell me this one" while I rested my hand on it He said" NO."I replied, " Well you just lost a sale" and walked out.
    I did not add that I was seriously considering buying a new MIll ( CX 603, over $ 6000) to replace my well worn 25 yr old one( The biggest I reckon I can fit in my present basement). Had I been well treated I might well have bought today as a Christmas present for myself. I will now look elsewhere at alternatives and alternative suppliers.
    While the business is only a short drive from my home this experience leaves a sour taste of stupidity and I will become reluctant to even consider buying anything from them in future.
    Regards David Powell.

Typical of dealing with sales people in society today.
    You did right, because voting with your dollar is the
    only leverage we have left.

-D
    DZER

Comment

He was no salesman. A real salesman would have come back with a different vise and then try to steer you into buying it.

Comment

I agree BUT you should let the owner or manager know what you experienced otherwise one bad egg can ruin another company. The salesman was an poor one and did not have the company and customers best interest in mind and as we all know he should have sold you the floor model instantly. Let them know.

Comment

What a shame. Big businesses hire people requiring a CV with a degree of some kind. Many can't relate to anyone on any level. Give me a good communicator with a drive to help people, and they will excel to top performance.

All he would have had to do, since they were out of stock, is ask if there was a specific use in mind, perhaps they carried a good alternative or can find the one you wanted at a warehouse or other store. And, a little conversation might have brought out the fact that you were also in the market for a new mill.

But all that takes a little thought, effort, and a bit of initiative, all of which have been lost in our current crop of workers. Had he been paid on commission, he'd have stuck with you until you were satisfied.

Just a shame, you are right not to reward poor behavior, but let the store know in a polite way how they lost the sale. This guy does not belong in sales of any kind.
          S E Michigan

Comment

I’m going to look at it another way.
            Did you give him a chance to counter?
            Did you ask when they might be back in stock?
            I often find that with a little bit of shmoosing, the person will come about to your side.
            Honey vs vinegar.
            He had no idea that you might be in the market for another mill and ready to drop some real coin.

I realize we are dealing with a new breed of animal. But, you can adapt and overcome. Your still the old breed, I assume?

Sid

Comment

Maybe he has been instructed not to sell the floor samples?

I agree he should really be more professional. I probably would have walked out exactly as you did.

Comment

Originally posted by gmax137 View Post
                Maybe he has been instructed not to sell the floor samples?

I agree he should really be more professional. I probably would have walked out exactly as you did.
                Could be a store policy.
                If we sell the display model, customer is going to want a discount and then we have to unpack another stock item for display.
                In some stores, display models are not part of the inventory.

Comment

Well am the Old Breed for sure. In the retail/service business for 50 years, motorcycles, cars, airplanes, new homes and a couple more. I was taught 'the customer is always right, sell them anything they want, go out of your way to provide exceptional customer service and work out any problem with the customer in mind, never service a customer on the phone if one is standing in your business. Never failed me in 50 years, customer word of mouth brought people from far and wide. Yea I am from the past not this future. Anything in my business was for sale, even if I didn't sell those products. Once a guy wanted to buy my in service air compressor, I called the distrubutor for a price and sold him mine. Days gone my friends.

Comment

I do find you get treated with contempt by some places, hard to stomach I know but I’ve come to accept it as part of being old, sorry your experience was so bad, it’s not nice, some days I can take it others I just walk out ( to the mrs annoyance whe is as stubborn as Ali bolts in copper)
                    mark

Comment

Contact corporate office and tell them what happened and also about your intended purchase.
                      They may make it right for you!

Comment

Originally posted by vectorwarbirds View Post
                        I agree BUT you should let the owner or manager know what you experienced otherwise one bad egg can ruin another company. The salesman was an poor one and did not have the company and customers best interest in mind and as we all know he should have sold you the floor model instantly. Let them know.
                        Now, I do not necessarily agree with the idea of downing the place on the basis of what was described. But, I was not there, and there are many ways of saying no. Maybe the salesfool was nasty, I do not know.

However, my policy is NOT to ever let the company know about my bad experience. Not if it is bad enough that I will not go back there.

If it is something minor, yes, I may. But if I feel I have just been seriously dissed and mistreated, then I really don't care if they fail. I refuse to give them help. Why should I give them the help that they refused to give me?

Coals of fire? Nah, these guys have fireproof heads, they will just say "thanks, chump" and move on with their day.

It's not like I can make them bankrupt. They will have a time of declining sales if they keep it up, and plenty of opportunity to reform. If they notice, and if they care. If those are a "no", then they are already doomed and my actions are only a small part of the wave that will sink them.

I am in favor of economic darwinism for stores that do not treat customers right.
                        CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post
                          . . .Could be a store policy. . .
                          'Busy Bee' sounds like the Canadian equivalent of Harbor Freight. HF does indeed have a NATIONAL policy of not selling display items. I've tried, bribed, cajoled, and they just said NO!

Southwest Utah

Comment

The Canadian equivalent of Harbor Freight is Princess Auto. They began imany years ago in Winnipeg and have an excellent reputation for service. I have never asked them to sell me a display item so cannot comment there. I have had some cheap and nasty stuff from them, some jolly good tools and supplies and have returned the odd defective item but have ALWAYS been treated with kindness and courtesy, even when they have not been able to help.
                            Regards David Powell.

Comment

If you just want to vent, that's understandable.

If you want things to improve, notify management.

Comment

Working...
                              X