No announcement yet.

Brakes on each axis on my mill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice looking mill. I've never heard of that make before. Where is it made? I thought you were a manual machinist type guy. I have a Sharp 5 HP mill with a 12 X 60 table that is begging to be converted to CNC. I'll be keeping track of your progress.

Comment

Originally posted by Toolguy View Post
      All the steppers I've ever heard running had that zinging robot sound every time they moved. That would make me crazy(er). Have they made the new ones quieter? Servos are normally very quiet.
      Yes and no. Yes you can get something running steppers to not make that dial-up noise that youre used to, but funnily enough its not actually the steppers that have become quieter, its the drivers that make that happen, least for smaller stepper motor/driver combos. I dont know if the same tech is available for larger steppers, but i know that for the size used on 3d printers and the like, simply swapping to a TMC driver is enough to eliminate noise from the stepper. I would assume that the same tech is available for larger stepper motors, but i dont have any personal experience there

Comment

Originally posted by nc5a View Post
        Nice looking mill. I've never heard of that make before. Where is it made? I thought you were a manual machinist type guy. I have a Sharp 5 HP mill with a 12 X 60 table that is begging to be converted to CNC. I'll be keeping track of your progress.
        I am a manual kind of guy but this mill has from the factory everything needed to be a CNC except the controller. To convert it to true CNC all I would need to do is mount encoders on the existing DC servos and buy the Centroid DCallin1 controller board. I could even utilize the glass scales connected to the controller to make sure my encoders and glass scales were in accordance with each other to double check for accuracy. The Centroid DCallin1 has 3 drives included with the board that would control my motors. It is still up in the air as to which route I take. I want to CNC this mill in order to use it to make parts to build a big CNC router. One day soon I will just decide and do it.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by Black Forest View Post

I wanted to use Clearpaths but they don't make a size 42. They skipped that size because they didn't have much call for them. Mine has brakes on all three axis.
          You could just make adapter plates to mount 34s, they will probably out-power the steppers.

Even closed loop steppers still have the same issues normal steppers have, they can loose lock, the closed loop should shut everything down when that happens but it just won't happen with a servo. There are also resonance issues with steppers too.

And like you say, sticking encoders on the dc motors will do the trick too. Dynamotion makes a DC servo driver board that attaches to their KFLOP controller which is what I have been using on my CNCs. The router/laser cutter I am reworking together is using a KFLOP.

Comment

New magnetic rotary encoders is a matter of sticking a magnet to the motor shaft and the encoder board next to it. It's the type of encoder used in closed loop steppers.
            Helder Ferreira
            Setubal, Portugal

Comment

Working...
            X