Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has This Taken The Place Of Paint Stripper ??

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    I had briefly looked into laser cleaners at the last place I worked for cleaning rolls. It wasn’t really my project and the company ended up going with a chemical based cleaner.

    I was hoping to get a company in for a demo. I think for their application the laser cleaner would have been excellent and much better than the system they ended up going with.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
      I've seen vid's like this before. Looks like it's right out of Star Trek.

      JL..............
      It's beyond my judgement call, things are getting harder and harder to figure out,,, That vid does have an animated quality to it for sure but hard to say as it would be a freaky thing to watch anyways,

      Used to be for news Id just tell people "they aren't putting words in peoples mouths and making them talk yet" ---------------- Well - that ship has sailed quite a while ago so who know's what who's really saying anymore...

      Comment


      • #18
        These types of machines have been around for quite some time and the last ones I checked on at the time where 1000w-2000w units that at the time were in the neighborhood of $80-120,000 dollars.
        The enormous advantages these units possess in so many fields has led to an overwhelming demand for them to the point that their price has dropped dramatically.

        One can now buy small portable (all the way down to 50w) machines for a whole lot less than just a couple of years ago.

        Below a link from Alliexpress:



        They'll be on the HF shelves soon.
        Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
        Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

        Location: British Columbia

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Willy View Post
          These types of machines have been around for quite some time and the last ones I checked on at the time where 1000w-2000w units that at the time were in the neighborhood of $80-120,000 dollars.
          The enormous advantages these units possess in so many fields has led to an overwhelming demand for them to the point that their price has dropped dramatically.

          One can now buy small portable (all the way down to 50w) machines for a whole lot less than just a couple of years ago.

          Below a link from Alliexpress:



          They'll be on the HF shelves soon.
          Something has to give here since the conventional chemical stripper no longer works because they removed the methylene chloride.
          Can you imagine sand blasting an entire aircraft?

          JL...................

          Comment


          • #20
            Dry ice blasting is the method of choice for airplanes. There is no infiltration of the blasting media. The only clean-up is was ever coating you are removing. When the ice hits the surface it returns to it's gaseous state. Dry ice is jjust CO². We used it when we had an environmentally sensitive location. We bought dry ice by the truck load sometimes.
            Location: The Black Forest in Germany

            How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Black Forest View Post
              Dry ice blasting is the method of choice for airplanes. There is no infiltration of the blasting media. The only clean-up is was ever coating you are removing. When the ice hits the surface it returns to it's gaseous state. Dry ice is jjust CO². We used it when we had an environmentally sensitive location. We bought dry ice by the truck load sometimes.
              I've seen that used to remove paint built up over the years on the support beams in old mill buildings that are being renovated into apartments and condos. End result is clean, dry wood with a bit of three dimensional texture added to the grain. Impressive results.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Black Forest View Post
                Dry ice blasting is the method of choice for airplanes. There is no infiltration of the blasting media. The only clean-up is was ever coating you are removing. When the ice hits the surface it returns to it's gaseous state. Dry ice is jjust CO². We used it when we had an environmentally sensitive location. We bought dry ice by the truck load sometimes.
                I've heard of this method but what special equipment is needed to pulverize the ice into particles small enough to be use as blast media ? Probably almost as far out of the average persons price range as the laser stripper. Those small particles of dry ice would have to be kept pretty cold right up until they hit the part.

                JL..............

                Comment


                • #23
                  For a while I had a recurring job making blasting nozzles for a dry ice blasting company. Neat business, they would buy dry ice in pellets 1/8 inch in diameter, feed them into a hopper with a large rotating cylinder (12 inch dia IIRC) with pockets to receive the round pellets, blast them with air from a LARGE compressor, and direct them with hoses into the nozzle and onto the area to be cleaned. I personally watched them clean extraction ducts above Navy ship hot oil cooking units the ducts had a layer of congealed grease 2 to 3 inches thick. The CO2 would strike the grease, the cold would make the grease a hard solid and the impact of the pellets would knock the grease loose, the air would carry the grease through the duct to the ships hull, where it would be trapped by a large cloth filter. They had to put Co2 meters along the duct to warn of leaks.
                  Neat business. https://www.emsice.com/
                  Steve

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
                    I've heard of this method but what special equipment is needed to pulverize the ice into particles small enough to be use as blast media ? Probably almost as far out of the average persons price range as the laser stripper. Those small particles of dry ice would have to be kept pretty cold right up until they hit the part.

                    JL..............
                    You buy them as pellets. They get fed into a hopper.
                    Location: The Black Forest in Germany

                    How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Black Forest View Post

                      You buy them as pellets. They get fed into a hopper.
                      Yes, understood but they have to be kept frozen during shipping and in the hopper at what ever temperature is needed to keep them from turning into a gas. So, that's going to require some special refrigeration equipment. Small pellets will disappear pretty fast as compared to a big chunk of dry ice.

                      JL............

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        No doubt the laser method will be required by law, eventually, with other methods "too dangerous". Special training, and high prices from specialist companies will likely follow..... Such is OSHA, who clearly have too much time on their hands.
                        CNC machines only go through the motions.

                        Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
                        Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
                        Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
                        I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
                        Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                          No doubt the laser method will be required by law, eventually, with other methods "too dangerous". Special training, and high prices from specialist companies will likely follow..... Such is OSHA, who clearly have too much time on their hands.
                          Perhaps they would end up being regulated after they hit the consumer market. The one video showed the used passing it over his hand and it did nothing. I wouldn't want to look into it.

                          JL..................

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by Doc Nickel View Post
                            The cheapest laser system like that starts at $50K, with the more common ones $80 to $100K, so no, it's not going to take the place of a can of paint stripper anytime soon.

                            Doc.
                            Laser system, yes. You can buy a 100 or 150W laser diode array for like $1/W on the surplus market, though 😁
                            -paul

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              That looks totally real using a diode in the 100W+ range with some beam redirection. The artifacting is video crud.

                              It likely /would not/ be safe to have a laser like that out in the open. You could get reflections that could light stuff on fire or blow out eyeballs.

                              Not to mention the fumes generated, depending on coating and substrate material...
                              -paul

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                So is there ANYTHING locally available that will strip powder coat? It seems the situation has gotten crazy with all the actually effective strippers off the market.
                                Location: Jersey City NJ USA

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X