Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has This Taken The Place Of Paint Stripper ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has This Taken The Place Of Paint Stripper ??

Since paint stripper no longer works any more I'm wonder how practical this is. Anyone have any experience with this?

JL..................

I'll let the others chime in --- I don't know if this video is for real - there's some things that don't look quite right to me.

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
      I'll let the others chime in --- I don't know if this video is for real - there's some things that don't look quite right to me.
      Can’t say for sure if that exact video is real or not but laser technology for cleaning is out there and very similar to that video.

I don’t know if the technology is cheap enough for home users yet or not but yes, one day it will replace “paint stripper”

Comment

Originally posted by oxford View Post

Can’t say for sure if that exact video is real or not but laser technology for cleaning is out there and very similar to that video.

I don’t know if the technology is cheap enough for home users yet or not but yes, one day it will replace “paint stripper”
        I can believe that - there's just some weirdness to the vid like the black paint "re-appears" in the later part of the drum turning. and then the weird "shapeshifter" finish that also appears --- it's just one strange looking vid that's for sure...

Comment

The cheapest laser system like that starts at $50K, with the more common ones $80 to $100K, so no, it's not going to take the place of a can of paint stripper anytime soon.

Doc.
          Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

Its real and for some time now. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACGS...el=WonderWorld

Comment

I can believe that - there's just some weirdness to the vid like the black paint "re-appears" in the later part of the drum turning. and then the weird "shapeshifter" finish that also appears --- it's just one strange looking vid that's for sure...
              Found this video out there of a Russian built hand held laser stripper:

Gotta think it's a bit pricey for my budget, although it does appear to work well.

Comment

I get adds all the time on my Facebook page for laser rust removal systems. Once I clicked on the add to get more info. The price was only 20.37€. So obviously a scam.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

I spoke to a U.K. firm who makes a fibre laser version to see if it could shift white effervescence off new brick, they said yes but had never tried then told me how much,! They were using it to get the BL and assorted graphiti off the Houses of Parliament with some success and soot cleaning on St. Paul’s cathedral
                  ( the unit was the size of a medium genset plus costs the same as a house)
                  mark

Comment

I know its a pain, but the best way to get that white efflourescence off brickwork is to wire brush it DRY. Lots of folks power wash it off, but this is a mistake. Efflourescence is soluble salts from the bricks coming out on to the surface. and power washing just puts them back into solution, so they soak back into the bricks again, to reappear again later.
                    'It may not always be the best policy to do what is best technically, but those responsible for policy can never form a right judgement without knowledge of what is right technically' - 'Dutch' Kindelberger

Comment

I've seen vid's like this before. Looks like it's right out of Star Trek.

JL..............

Comment

I think what that black paint is that your referring to is actually magic / Sharpie marker in which ti may have bled through the paint and stained the metal. Apparently the laser doesn't remove such a stain. Just my assessment.

JL....................

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Nickel View Post
                          The cheapest laser system like that starts at $50K, with the more common ones $80 to $100K, so no, it's not going to take the place of a can of paint stripper anytime soon.

Doc.
                          Anything has to be better than the now worthless paint thinner and what I had to go through this past summer trying to strip some pieces. Ended up having to sand blast and that ain't no joy either.

With one of those laser strippers could have stripped this stand in a matter of minutes with out even getting my hands dirty.

JL................

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20210624-131919.jpg
Views:	732
Size:	460.0 KB
ID:	1974109

Comment

Originally posted by Richard P Wilson View Post
                            I know its a pain, but the best way to get that white efflourescence off brickwork is to wire brush it DRY. Lots of folks power wash it off, but this is a mistake. Efflourescence is soluble salts from the bricks coming out on to the surface. and power washing just puts them back into solution, so they soak back into the bricks again, to reappear again later.
                            Muriatic acid works pretty good for that if you can still buy the real stuff and not the watered down dish washing detergent version that does nothing.

JL..............

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
                              I think what that black paint is that your referring to is actually magic / Sharpie marker in which ti may have bled through the paint and stained the metal. Apparently the laser doesn't remove such a stain. Just my assessment.

JL....................
                              I've noticed this in other videos but it does seem to remove it in a second or third pass.

Comment

Working...
                              X