OT: auto makers extortion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: auto makers extortion

Apparently one of the big auto makers, no names, is going to make you pay a subscription to use the key fob and heat warmers on a car that you have already paid for. You pay a monthly sum to them or they remotely shut down your ability to use these features on your car/truck. You can still use the key to enter and start your vehicle, like a caveman. This seems a lot like extortion to me. How far will it go, pay use so much a mile to drive your car or we shut it down,

Apparently there are other manufacturers that are also looking at this to generate extra revenue. Sounds like mob tactics have invaded the board room.
    The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Not sure why you wont say the name. Its BMW. https://www.forbes.com/sites/alistai...h=6524b2a43c64

This is pretty common on new CNC’s. All of my HAAS cnc mills have a bunch of options built into the machine and software that can only be turned on by purchasing them at anytime in the machines useful life. Its not a subscription like the BMW model, but there are options on the machines I own outright, that cant be used unless I pay extra for them and they give you the unlock code.

Comment

Originally posted by mochinist View Post
      Not sure why you wont say the name. Its BMW. https://www.forbes.com/sites/alistai...h=6524b2a43c64

This is pretty common on new CNC’s. All of my HAAS cnc mills have a bunch of options built into the machine and software that can only be turned on by purchasing them at anytime in the machines useful life. Its not a subscription like the BMW model, but there are options on the machines I own outright, that cant be used unless I pay extra for them and they give you the unlock code.
      Yes. It''s not uncommon to see this. Much easier to do one complete software write that has everything built in so the extra features have a better chance of working with the basic system in a relatively bug free manner.

I can see BMW incorporating this as a way to simplify their production and parts inventory on mechanical things that have electric controls, which is popular in their designs. What does not make sense is the subscription model. If you buy it once you should only pay for it once, unless they plan on offering free (with subscription) replacement parts to update a system. That said, it still sounds like purchasing a BMW is going to parallel those late night TV infomercials, the ones with the snake oil salesman shouting "but wait, there's more!".
      Last edited by tom_d; 12-11-2021, 02:43 PM.

Comment

BMW's are total crap now anyways, overpriced absolute crap and blocks that are made of silly putty and pull head studs on a regular basis, all of certain models will do it just a matter of time...

and most all of a certain era... junk

Comment

on a similar note, the bosses later model BMW had a flat tire,please pull it and put the spare on says he. OK, I look for the jack and the tire iron and the spare, none there. "if you need assistance call BMW service says the owners manual..." good luck on that if you were out in the boondocks. (the tires were replacement, not run flats)

Comment

This sort of thing has been going on for at least 30 years. Back in 1988, the company i was working for bought a new Cincinnati Milacron vertical mill (30" X 80") and the controller (850) had more features built in than was paid for. The unpaid features were "turned off" so the they were unavailable to us. We were told that if we wanted to purchase one of these , we just had to pay Cincinnati M. for the feature and they would tell us the code to turn it on. This thing about the fobs is just the auto industry taking a lesson from the machine tool manufacture's.
            Sarge41

Comment

Originally posted by jmm03 View Post
              on a similar note, the bosses later model BMW had a flat tire,please pull it and put the spare on says he. OK, I look for the jack and the tire iron and the spare, none there. "if you need assistance call BMW service says the owners manual..." good luck on that if you were out in the boondocks. (the tires were replacement, not run flats)
              BMW owners, by and large, don't know how to "do" anything.... They "pay for it to be done". So no need for such low class accessories. Just make a call.

And the mass production probably has led to a quality reduction, as well as "cost engineering", with some "thinning and lightening" of all the parts.
              CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

So how hard is it for someone to “hack” into this stuff and unlock the features?

Comment

I don't think that would fly too well the big three. BMW may be able to get away with it because most people who buy those newer cars have more money than brains.

It's almost the same as you buy a car with a radio and then pay a subscription fee to listen to stations.

I'm sure the internet will be full of all kinds of hacks to get around the subscription fee.

Just think........... you buy a new stove, it has four burners and an oven. Only one burner works if you want to use the other three or the oven you have to pay a subscription fee.

JL...............
                  Last edited by JoeLee; 12-11-2021, 06:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
                    I don't think that would fly too well the big three. BMW may be able to get away with it because most people who buy those newer cars have more money than brains.

It's almost the same as you buy a car with a radio and then pay a subscription fee to listen to stations.

I'm sure the internet will be full of all kinds of hacks to get around the subscription fee.

Just think........... you buy a new stove, it has four burners and an oven. Only one burner works if you want to use the other three or the oven you have to pay a subscription fee.

JL...............
                    If you use satellite radio (as I do) that's exactly what you do. Mine is an add-on receiver, but when you buy a new car with satellite radio that's the deal.

It's worth it to me - I can get lots more variety and it works pretty much everywhere. I usually listen to jazz...

-js
                    There are no stupid questions. But there are lots of stupid answers. This is the internet.

Comment

My car requires that I buy gasoline every other week or so, the evil auto manufacturers are colluding with the fuel manufacturers to exploit the working man.

Comment

Originally posted by Bented View Post
                        My car requires that I buy gasoline every other week or so, the evil auto manufacturers are colluding with the fuel manufacturers to exploit the working man.
                        Sounds like you need to buy an electric vehicle !

But then you'll probably need to pay a monthly subscription to start it.
                        It's like buying a vehicle and then paying rent to use it.

JL......

Comment

Tesla does just the opposite- on used Teslas, features the previous owner paid for are turned off (over the air) as soon as the factory receives notice the car has changed owners.

Comment

This doesn't surprise me. Like it or not this is the direction things are going right now. What many folks don't realize is even though you bought the car and you own it you don't "own" the software running on the computer modules. You have a license to use it. This the main motivator for the right to repair movement.
                            Mike
                            Central Ohio, USA

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post

Sounds like you need to buy an electric vehicle !

But then you'll probably need to pay a monthly subscription to start it.
                              It's like buying a vehicle and then paying rent to use it.

JL......
                              That would simply be EV manufacturers colluding with the producers of electricity, I'm waiting for a vehicle propelled buy thoughts and prayers.

Comment

Working...
                              X