Dial calipers, what color face?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dial calipers, what color face?

Daughters boyfriend wants a set of dial calipers for Christmas which led to some questions about what color face.

I never used any with actual colors but I prefer a white face with black numbers over black face with white numbers.

Just curious what everyone would pick if they were buying a new set.

B&S 599 With the black face are my favorite calipers ever, bar none. IDK anymore now that they are made in China.
    21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
    1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

The dial just needs to be readable. I have white and black face both that are fine. Where I have an issue sometimes is on the beam. Faint laser etching and number placement can cause a large mis read.
      *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

White face with black numbers for me, please.
        Mike
        WI/IL border, USA

Comment

White face with black numbers for me also.
          Robin

Happily working on my second million Gave up on the first

Comment

Yellow face is not a bad one. I think one of the ones I have is like that.

Of course, "dial calipers? What century are you living in, the 12th?". Everyone knows digital are lots better.🙄
            CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

JT, you trying to start something? ha ha.

I like the white face, black markings. I don't like black face, white markings. I love my analog meter with its mirrored scale. I'm hoping to find a dial micrometer-
              I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

I mostly use black lines on a white background for calipers.
                However I always draw parts in CAD systems with white lines on a black background, it is less glaring on the old eyes if a majority of the monitor is black.

Comment

White, black nos.

Comment

Originally posted by darryl View Post
                    JT, you trying to start something? ......................
                    Poking the bear. Bented gave me the idea.

Comment

"Traditional" for all other dials.

But I will only own "digi-cals" for their durability...

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                        Of course, "dial calipers? What century are you living in, the 12th?". Everyone knows digital are lots better.🙄

I asked and he said he wanted dials. I have both and prefer to pickup the dials. The digital shine for quickly going to imperial or metric.

I will ask if you have shelved all your dial indicators for digital ones?

Comment

Metric ones are yellow with black numbers.

Actually not quite true, as I have a metric height gauge with a white dial which is metric, rather tricky to read, as its 2mm per turn, I wish it was digital.
                          Last edited by old mart; 12-12-2021, 11:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by oxford View Post

I asked and he said he wanted dials. I have both and prefer to pickup the dials. The digital shine for quickly going to imperial or metric.

I will ask if you have shelved all your dial indicators for digital ones?
                            Nope, I shelved all the digital ones for dial. Just "poking the bear".

Comment

Originally posted by old mart View Post
                              Metric ones are yellow with black numbers.

Actually not quite true, as I have a metric height gauge with a white dial which is metric, rather tricky to read, as its 2mm per turn, I wish it was digital.
                              I could see different color dials being useful if you have both imperial and metric.

Comment

Working...
                              X