3 Ton Toe Jack Failure and Repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 Ton Toe Jack Failure and Repair

Some of you may remember this toe jack build from several years ago. It has been an indispensable part of my machine moving tool kit since day one. Unfortunately I recently lifted a 6,000 pound lathe and bent the ram. Luckily I had a chunk of 7/8" 4140 TGP on hand so I made another ram. The damage also extended to the upper part of the toe So that was repaired and beefed up at the same time. Instead of pinning the toe to the adjustment screw pad with a hardened pin I chose to not have the adjustment feature in the new ram. Now a 5/16" X 18 grade 8 flat head machine screw secures the toe to the ram.

Original build

Bent ram

New ram installed

Beefed up toe

Another view with deluxe handle storage

What keeps the toe part parallel in the frame ??
    I take it when you were about halfway up the force pulled it away from the frame causing the ram to bend.

JL.......

Comment

I like the "3000 MAX" labels but you know that won't stop you from lifting a 6K lathe in the future

Comment

Good job on the build, and nice fix. I like your new rating system too.......

Having used a tow jack quite a bit today shuffling machines around they really are indispensable.

Comment

Originally posted by nc5a View Post
          .... Luckily I had a chunk of 7/8" 4140 TGP on hand so I made another ram. ...
          Of course, doesn't everyone? 🙄

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
            What keeps the toe part parallel in the frame ??
            I take it when you were about halfway up the force pulled it away from the frame causing the ram to bend.

JL.......
            Actually the top part of the toe pinned to the adjustable pad bent/cracked which caused the ram to bend. Neither I or my brother in law saw the toe pull away from the jack frame. A rule of thumb is the toe part of a toe jack is rated at 1/2 the jack capacity. Hence the 3000 lb limit on the 3 ton hydraulic jack.

Comment

Actually the top part of the toe pinned to the adjustable pad bent/cracked which caused the ram to bend. Neither I or my brother in law saw the toe pull away from the jack frame. A rule of thumb is the toe part of a toe jack is rated at 1/2 the jack capacity. Hence the 3000 lb limit on the 3 ton hydraulic jack.
              OK, I was thinking of replacing the rounds that you have welded to the frame on either side of the sliding toe with some thick angle to act light a channel or slot for the toe to slide in. That would keep it from pulling away and reduce the side force on the ram.
              The sides of the angle would have to be milled down to fit properly and you would have to slot the bottom corners of the toe for it to clear. Just my thought.

It's sort of like a railroad jack.

JL..............

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
                OK, I was thinking of replacing the rounds that you have welded to the frame on either side of the sliding toe with some thick angle to act light a channel or slot for the toe to slide in. That would keep it from pulling away and reduce the side force on the ram.
                The sides of the angle would have to be milled down to fit properly and you would have to slot the bottom corners of the toe for it to clear. Just my thought.

It's sort of like a railroad jack.

JL..............
                In the first photo, I thought the vertical round bar was some sort of a guide for the sliding toe.

Comment

Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post

In the first photo, I thought the vertical round bar was some sort of a guide for the sliding toe.
                  That's what I assume they are also but they don't keep the sliding toe from pulling away.

JL.............

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Engelhardt View Post

Of course, doesn't everyone? 🙄
                    I don't have any 7/8...
                    *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

Seems like in the past 5 years the price of toe jacks has come down a lot.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/28386908069...kAAOSwgAdeshRB

Comment

The design would be better if there were no bending forces on the ram, just straight compression.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Edwards View Post
                          Seems like in the past 5 years the price of toe jacks has come down a lot.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/28386908069...kAAOSwgAdeshRB
                          Good point. After my shop built toe jack failed I looked to see what prices were for commercially made ones. I found a 5/2.5 ton on Amazon for a reasonable price and free delivery so picked it up. It arrived yesterday and I'll have to say it isn't too bad. Even has a swivel handle which comes in handy sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by old mart View Post
                            The design would be better if there were no bending forces on the ram, just straight compression.
                            I agree 100% but that is a more complicated design and more expensive to build. However, I could have made the toe captive with a little more effort but the side load would still have been there. Your point is valid and appreciated.

Comment

Good point. After my shop built toe jack failed I looked to see what prices were for commercially made ones. I found a 5/2.5 ton on Amazon for a reasonable price and free delivery so picked it up. It arrived yesterday and I'll have to say it isn't too bad. Even has a swivel handle which comes in handy sometimes.
                              That was the one of the first things to pop out at me when you posted your home built one. After using mine a bunch, its very rare that I had a straight shot at the back of the jack to pump it up. The swivel handle is like pants pockets. You won't want to go without it after having it.

Comment

Working...
                              X