Tornadoes thread, apology.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tornadoes thread, apology.

I’m sorry, I was way off base, that storm truly was a monster. It left a 200 mile long path of destruction. Very, very rare. Sorry to all that were affected.

Its AGW, your a denier!!
    lol
    Horrible event, your points on media bias were not wrong though...
    Cheers,
    Jon

Comment

My aunt and uncle had their house severely damaged, and the 2-car garage completely flattened, with their cars inside. Definitely no joke. Heartbreaking for those affected.

Comment

Probably the one weather event that gets me worried, just for the near unpredictabilty of them.
        I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

I cried when I saw itIt hurt me.

I have dreamed up plans to get Nashville on board a raise money to house these people. My plan is a lil outside.

These folks need housing! Their stuff is gone. If you know a hillbily singer have her or him show up. There are people in need. JR

Comment

RB211 . It always takes a bigger man to apologize. I shouldnt have brought an off topic subject up but was worried many here may have been affected and was concerned. You wonder if you cant construct buildings differently to prevent damage and loss of life.

Comment

As far as construction methods that help resist tornado damage - the overwhelming majority of the photos I saw that showed undamaged structures were brick houses.

Comment

Brian Block is in Kentucky.
                Luckily his barn shop has that bridge crane structure holding the barn up.
                But he was constantly having wind blow his roof tin off.
                I wonder how he is doing? He posted no videos since the event.

-Doozer
                DZER

Comment

Originally posted by eKretz View Post
                  As far as construction methods that help resist tornado damage - the overwhelming majority of the photos I saw that showed undamaged structures were brick houses.
                  On the subject of construction methods.... there is a huge testing facility not far from me (South Carolina) that tests how various construction methods stand up to extreme wind, rain etc. Its basically a HUGE wind tunnel and they build structures in it to destroy. Its backed by the insurance industry. Pretty neat facility. Its pretty amazing how various construction methods can make such a big difference.

https://ibhs.org/wind/fortified-roof-2019/

Bottom of the page in the above link shows the test building and the wall of huge fans. Pretty impressive.

Here is a video showing
                  the wind tunnel in action and a house being destroyed while another survives.
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbZIvaM35h8
                  Last edited by Sparky_NY; 12-13-2021, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Mayfield has been in the news every day, even as far away as the UK. I noticed just how concentrated the destruction was along a narror track. The lucky people were only 50 yards from the centreline.

Comment

The weak spot is the roof, once it goes then the walls are next. When I built my shop they made me put hurricane braces? on to tie the roof to the sidewalls. The older methods just used nails. This was a metal brace the tied to the roof and then nailed with heavy special nails to the walls.
                      Retired - Journeyman Refrigeration Pipefitter - Master Electrician

Comment

Nails need to go away, very least a good wood screw.

Comment

Originally posted by RB211 View Post
                          Nails need to go away, very least a good wood screw.
                          Screw are better unless used ala the This Old House guys who frequently drove them into end grain.

Comment

Nail gun nails are coated, at least the ones I used anyway and a bugger to pull out. You can buy ringed nails also. Can you imagine the extra hours or days if they used screws?
                            Retired - Journeyman Refrigeration Pipefitter - Master Electrician

Comment

Originally posted by wmgeorge View Post
                              Nail gun nails are coated, at least the ones I used anyway and a bugger to pull out. You can buy ringed nails also. Can you imagine the extra hours or days if they used screws?
                              Sure but if you’re building your own stuff you won’t care as much

Comment

Working...
                              X