Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lynnl
    replied
    I don't know if Ardox refers to a specific brand or design of spiral nails (that word was unfamiliar to me). But my experience with spiral nails is not all that favorable. They seem to have a tendency to gradually back out over time. I'm referring to such as deck rails, fencing, etc. I've assumed due to normal expansion/contraction of the wood; or maybe freeze/thaw cycles, tho we don't have a lot of that around these parts.

Leave a comment:

• A.K. Boomer
    replied
    Originally posted by Jon Heron View Post

I dont believe screws meet the building code for structural framing. Screws are brittle and will break off with sheer forces.
    https://www.rona.ca/en/product/duche...22503-02665207
    Cheers,
    Jon
    I believe your correct - but still believe they have their place, and they can even be stronger in certain circumstances like direct pull they will most likely even out-due an ardox nail, but shear force? nope like you said too brittle,

I redid my basement with screws due to nothing being structural just wanted precision build to hang some rock on and also capable of taking things apart in fact not one split piece of lumber cuz I pre-drilled... always hated that about framing --- tell me that's strong when you see half a 2X4 end missing with bent over nails...

So yeah - know where to use them and where to not... unless they have some kinda special design for framing then wise to stay clear --- although decking screws have been used for structural decking for decades... in fact might just be that your not allowed to use nails...
    Last edited by A.K. Boomer; 12-16-2021, 09:49 AM.

Leave a comment:

• wmgeorge
    replied
    Originally posted by RB211 View Post

This summer I did some construction with an air framing gun and I was totally not impressed with the holding power of the nails. For my own units I am using high quality screws.
    All I can say is this, when I built my garage/shop 22 years ago I used a nail gun and coated nails. Plus hurricane braces on the roof. It stood up to last August 2020 record setting 100- 110 mph winds. We lost power for 3 or 4 days and thousands of trees destroyed in Iowa but my garage still stood.

Leave a comment:

• Jon Heron
    replied

Well to be more accurate, are Ardox nails used in general construction? The one reference I looked up suggested for log homes and were quite expensive.
    They also don’t look like you can use them in a nail gun defeating their main attraction. Perhaps versions do exist, I simply didn’t look very hard.
    I dont believe screws meet the building code for structural framing. Screws are brittle and will break off with sheer forces.
    https://www.rona.ca/en/product/duche...22503-02665207
    Cheers,
    Jon

Leave a comment:

• wmgeorge
    replied
    The devastation in Kentucky and Tennessee was terrible, it looked like nothing was left.

We had a very bad storm come through here yesterday and last night, not much damage here but going to check the damage reports this morning on the news.

Leave a comment:

• genea
    replied
    In some of the recent videos people have stated that windows blew out or that houses exploded. I used to live in southern Michigan and I remember that they used to recommend that you open all your windows and doors to help equalize internal and external pressures to reduce the possibility of these blowouts happening. I don't know how effective it is. Is this still recommended?

Leave a comment:

• RB211
    replied
    Originally posted by lynnl View Post
    I haven't shot any coated nails, but the ring shanked ones I've shot (Paslode airless) pulled out surprisingly easy.
    This summer I did some construction with an air framing gun and I was totally not impressed with the holding power of the nails. For my own units I am using high quality screws.

Leave a comment:

• RB211
    replied
    Originally posted by Jon Heron View Post

This is inaccurate, a screw does not hold a candle to an ardox nail. Not even a contest with strength and holding power.
    Cheers,
    Jon
    Well to be more accurate, are Ardox nails used in general construction? The one reference I looked up suggested for log homes and were quite expensive.
    They also don’t look like you can use them in a nail gun defeating their main attraction. Perhaps versions do exist, I simply didn’t look very hard.

Leave a comment:

• Jon Heron
    replied
    Nails need to go away, very least a good wood screw.
    This is inaccurate, a screw does not hold a candle to an ardox nail. Not even a contest with strength and holding power.
    Cheers,
    Jon

Leave a comment:

• wierdscience
    replied
    Let this photo from the Joplin Mo twister sink in, then talk to me about nails, screws and wafer board.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Joplin.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	1975004

Leave a comment:

• A.K. Boomer
    replied
    Just ever so remotely related --- we had the worst windstorm blow through today that I can remember in a long long time (Colorado)

got to use the new DeWalts on my fencing --- buddy had a window blow out in his shop, pelted him with glass,,, ended up with somebody's yard furniture in my yard - crazy thing is i have a 6ft tall privacy fence all around mine,,, seen a deflated plastic santa blowing down the road... POS Volvo out front had it's gas lid open and was flapping around...

took the pea shooter out and it was a slalom course going down 5th st - dodging in and out of tree branches --- thankfully none of the POS elms surrounding me came through my freakin roof......

no TV tonight - something got knocked out... but overall a pretty pleasant day in comparison to what some poor soles are having to endure....

Leave a comment:

• lynnl
    replied
    I haven't shot any coated nails, but the ring shanked ones I've shot (Paslode airless) pulled out surprisingly easy.

Leave a comment:

• RB211
    replied
    Originally posted by wmgeorge View Post
    Nail gun nails are coated, at least the ones I used anyway and a bugger to pull out. You can buy ringed nails also. Can you imagine the extra hours or days if they used screws?
    Sure but if you’re building your own stuff you won’t care as much

Leave a comment:

• wmgeorge
    replied
    Nail gun nails are coated, at least the ones I used anyway and a bugger to pull out. You can buy ringed nails also. Can you imagine the extra hours or days if they used screws?

Leave a comment:

• reggie_obe
    replied
    Nails need to go away, very least a good wood screw.
    Screw are better unless used ala the This Old House guys who frequently drove them into end grain.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X