Power feed for my Sheldon/Vernon horizontal mill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power feed for my Sheldon/Vernon horizontal mill

My Sheldon mill came with mechanical power feed: a 3-step pulley on the back end of the spindle drove a shaft running along the right side of the mill. That shaft drove a worm that could be engaged with a worm gear on the feed screw. That worm & its carrier made the conversion to DC motor drive really easy. The mechanical drive:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Sheldon_No0_Mill_1.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	1975118 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2698.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	1975120
    The carrier (1) pivots on a stud (4) in the knee. I took off the pulleys, shafting, & their mounts, keeping just the worm & its carrier. I milled the bottom of the carrier flat & parallel to the worm's shaft & tapped 2 holes:

Name:	IMG_2696.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	1975119
    I took a small 24v motor from an electric scooter (I think), made a bracket to hold it and made slotted gears:

Name:	IMG_2038.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	1975121 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2033.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	1975122

(5 upload limit reached - continued)

Name:	IMG_2700.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	1975125

I love the simplicity of it:

Name:	IMG_2689.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	1975126 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2702.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	1975127

I got a 24v controller for it & put it in a box:

Name:	IMG_2685.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	1975128
    I calibrated the controller's pot in IPM. There's a toggle switch for direction and a momentary switch for rapid override. The rapid override uses 48v on the 24v motor to move things along. I picked 2 IPM for the lowest feed & I'm thinking that lower might have been better. Time will tell.

Using the original worm made things really simple & easy. Another advantage is that the original feed had a kick-out that disengaged the feed when tripped. This still works with the DC conversion.

Comment

Nice looking conversion!

Sid

Comment

Wow, thats pretty slick, Bob. As you may know, I have the same mill. Thanks for posting!
        I cut it off twice; it's still too short
        Oregon, USA

Comment

Thank you - I've been trying to figure out how to make a power feed for my RF40 type mill, this has given me some new (and better) ideas. I have several potentially suitable motors, but have been stumbling over the best way to connect one while still allowing manual feeding.
          "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

Comment

Working...
          X