Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pre heating cast iron workpiece before welding.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre heating cast iron workpiece before welding.

The trick is you need cowdung..
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mi_NSFq0r8I
    Gotta love how the store next door is cooking Naan .

Now that was cool.. Pops took stick welding to an all time high.

Thanks. JR

Comment

Originally posted by plunger View Post
      The trick is you need cowdung.. Gotta love how the store next door is cooking Naan .
      No schitt?

Comment

The old calcium carbide acetylene reactor. Wonder what they used for oxygen. Compressed air maybe
        Helder Ferreira
        Setubal, Portugal

Comment

Originally posted by Noitoen View Post
          The old calcium carbide acetylene reactor. Wonder what they used for oxygen. Compressed air maybe
          I didnt understand the acetylene reactor. Could you explain it please. I just thought his nozzle is getting to hot ,thats why he dips it in water.

Comment

Calcium carbide and water releases acetylene gas. After he puts the carbide in the reactor he seals it tight so that it builds up some pressure. There's an oxygen tank in the shop, if you follow the yellow hoses you'll spot it.
            Here in coal country all of the old miners had carbide lanterns from the mines, after they switched to electric lamps on their helmets.

Jerry

Comment

Originally posted by plunger View Post

I didnt understand the acetylene reactor. Could you explain it please. I just thought his nozzle is getting to hot ,thats why he dips it in water.
              In the comment they mentioned " generating their own acetylene by dripping water on calcium chloride"

The end result of this engine block was impressive! This is the type of videos which motivates me to try and sometimes don't give up.

Thanks for posting

Comment

Miners used them in the old days

Helder Ferreira
                Setubal, Portugal

Comment

You can also produce oxygen with hydrogen peroxide

Helder Ferreira
                  Setubal, Portugal

Comment

Originally posted by Noitoen View Post
                    Miners used them in the old days
                    Miners continues to use carbide lamps up through the 1950's.

Comment

carbide cannons were a thing when I was younger. You were only supposed to put in 1 scoop of carbide but of course we had to put in more and wait for the gas to build up...

Comment

'Brasso' for cleaning brass came in a metal tin with a screw on lid. The foolhardy amongst us would put some carbide in the tin, add water, screw the top on and (quickly) hurl it into the river. wait a few seconds and 'Boom'.Then you could scoop up the fish that floated to the surface.
                        'It may not always be the best policy to do what is best technically, but those responsible for policy can never form a right judgement without knowledge of what is right technically' - 'Dutch' Kindelberger

Comment

I wonder if burning cow pies is considered carbon neutral?
                          Sole proprietor of Acme Buggy Whips Ltd.
                          Specialty products for beating dead horses.

Comment

Originally posted by Beazld View Post
                            I wonder if burning cow pies is considered carbon neutral?
                            Surely. Other than the cow farts, of course................
                            CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

There was a trout pond always well stocked however every so often there was a little “ poaching”, large screw top pop bottle, 1/3 gravel 1/3 carbide few drips of water good shake lob in pond and wait, it sunk then the pressure built up, blew the bottle water rushes in and meets carbide, followed by dull thud and fish float up, trout for dinner, the carbide came from the local union carbide ( somewhat infamous) but as a kid The oxy company BOC was just that, oxy only everyone had their own carbide acetylene generator, some oldies called them kipps generators after the lab version.
                              carbide gets used a lot to de sulphur steel too, 30 ton silos ( dry nitrogen purged!) useful stuff
                              mark
                              did not see Richards “brass o” post, nice to know I wasn’t the only pyromaniac, our boys pop bottles were our go to
                              mark
                              ipads aren’t all they’re cracked out to be I’m finding
                              Last edited by boslab; 12-21-2021, 03:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X