Adding a tach to a continental aircraft engine with slick mag's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chipmaker4130 View Post

The shielding is for RFI suppression because of the nav and comm equipment on board. I suppose there may be a way to replace the rated wires with a conventional automotive type, although the terminations are, as I recall, quite different. It's been 45yrs since I got out of A&P school and I never worked as an aircraft mechanic so my memories are likely suspect.
    Yes I realize the shielding was originally intended to suppress RFI for the nav and comm equipment but would think in doing so the inductive properties would be lost insofar as being able to trigger that type of tach, never had the opportunity to try it. You likely are better versed in this regard than I.

The wires could be changed of course but the the plugs would need to be changed as well due to the terminations on both the plugs and wires then not matching as you say.

I think one of the keys to make this all work, (and their are several options) is to have a readout that is weather-proof.
    One of the primary reasons I included the type that I did as these units are aimed at a segment of the market catering to outdoor power equipment that is routinely exposed to the elements.

Personally I prefer a large analog tach as this type of instrument is very easy to read at a glance, however most that I see are meant for interior mounting, shielded from the elements so keep this in mind when selecting a readout. Analog or digital.
    Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
    Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

The key is whether the return current can flow on the shield. It can if the shield is grounded at both ends. In that case there is no "net" current to sense.
      CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

in doing so the inductive properties would be lost insofar as being able to trigger that type of tach
        They will work, you just have to put the coil under the shield which is not that difficult.
        Good to know they hold up well in the weather. I put one on my dirt bike but kept it up under the edge of the tank, the battery only lasted a couple of years though and its a sealed unit.
        Cheers,
        Jon

Comment

Jon you can get ones that have a replaceable battery sealed by an O-ring.
          Good point about tucking the coil of wire under the shielding.
          Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
          Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Well, that’s a blast from the past. I worked in the factory for a short stint making camshafts for those. The cams for the ultralight engines were hollow. I can vaguely remember drill through them with a looong drill.
            -Roland
            Golf Course Mechanic

Bedminster NJ

Comment

Working...
            X