Let's bash This Old Tony!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OMG - Tony!

It is like pealing the curtain back from the wizard of oz...

I have a couple question...

1) Did you ever figure out why you kept destroying ball screws on the maho?

b) Does the Ethercat setup allow you to see following error? (commanded position vs encoder(actual))? If so - how low were you able to get following error?

Thanks - Love your videos and always get excited when one pops up.

sam

Comment

• Originally posted by Tony View Post
      Mr Forest: all good!
      A.K. yep, just regular old nail clippers. I need them sharp though. If a pair bends my nail I get the heebie jeebies for a week. One of these days I'll figure out a jig to freshen them up on the surface grinder

DOC and McGyver: started with a nikon d300s, upgraded last year to a d500. I can't really tell the difference to be honest. At least not for video. In fact, they're terrible video cameras compared to what you can get but I like Nikon and I use the 500 mostly for photos. I got a used micro 4/3s (GX9) for Christmas! still feeling it out but I love the small size.

Software is Premiere Elements. I'm a release or two behind the latest but it was $100 when I got it and maybe $50 or so if you want to upgrade every year. I tried a demo version of real Premiere (Pro) but it was too much for me. I like putting video together but you need a PHD to run that software.

I shoot 1080 and 24fps. I like the look. One or two small LED panels since my shop is a black hole. They're not even real video lights they're big box store recessed panels propped up on broom sticks or whatever is nearby.

Lighting is my enemy. Some have concluded that its an artistic choice on my part, the constrasty lighting... and although, yes, I like that look and have grown into it, the fact of the matter is.. the age old battle... not enough light in the shop.

Doc: for the 'special FX' its usually one maybe two 'standard' editing tools layered on top of each other. this is where 24 fps comes in handy because I don't need any of my effects to last very long (frame wise). If memory serves, that particular subscribe on the bandsaw was:

1. small image of "subscribe" text, tried to match the machine font, with a black background
      2. animate that little image so it rotates generally around the same axis of rotation as the selector on the bandsaw
      3. crop that whole animated image so you only see it when it swings "past the window" in the selector.

I'm sure if you look close you'd see the speed its moving at probably doesn't match the speed i'm turning the selector. or at least its not consistent.

Some of the fancier software has 'tracking' but thats more time and effort than I'm willing to put into a dumb joke, I think.

-Tony
      I really appreciated your contribution to Wintergatan and MMX

Comment

• OH Crap. Now we might never get him to shut up! I don't post YouTube videos for strangers to watch just the guys on here or some such thing. I do make videos of our horses and daughter riding. I use Grass Valley's Edius X, DaVinci Resolve Studio and HKvisdom's editing and titling program. After Effects, Ilustrator, Lightwave, to name a few.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

• Originally posted by Tony View Post
          started with a nikon d300s, upgraded last year to a d500. I can't really tell the difference to be honest. At least not for video. In fact, they're terrible video cameras compared to what you can get but I like Nikon and I use the 500 mostly for photos. I got a used micro 4/3s (GX9) for Christmas! still feeling it out but I love the small size.
          -I've been using a Rebel T5i, roughly equivalent, I think. Only real issue is the autofocus "hunts", which I think is kind of a problem of all DSLRs used for video. (At least stationary video.)

I also found out that my add-on mic (a cheap $10 thing off eBay ) can actually "hear" the so-called 'ultrasonic' focusing motors that Canon uses.

Lighting is my enemy. Some have concluded that its an artistic choice on my part[...]
          -Reasonings aside, I like it. There is a bit of "artsy" flair to it and gives your videos a unique look. I'd say keep it, if you have the choice.

Doc: for the 'special FX' its usually one maybe two 'standard' editing tools[...]
          -Personally, I've barely scratched the surface with editing. I'm lucky to successfully apply a caption. Your stuff sure gives me inspiration, though, especially the practical effects- karate chopping the steel and such. (And, you deserve an Oscar, or even at least a Felix, for that bit with the cat and the missing bolts. )

Some of the fancier software has 'tracking' but thats more time and effort than I'm willing to put into a dumb joke, I think.
          -I disagree. I mean time, maybe, but the "dumb jokes" are a big draw for your videos. Don't get me wrong, I like the actual information, even if it's just watching how you go about making something rather than anything explicitly described in the video. But the added humor- and good humor- puts it over the top.

Doc.
          Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

• Originally posted by Black Forest View Post
            I use Grass Valley's Edius X, DaVinci Resolve Studio and HKvisdom's editing and titling program. After Effects, Ilustrator, Lightwave, to name a few.
            -Just out of curiosity, why so many? Is it just that you have them, or does one do something better than the others, or do you mostly use one, and then import it to one of the others for a specific effect?

Personally, I got turned on to Pinnacle. I have no idea if it's the "best" or can do everything I might want it to, but it ad good reviews and was cheap.

It was fairly easy to get into for basic editing, but as above, I've barely scratched the surface when it comes to any kind of effects. I'm not even sure what it can or can't do...

Doc.

Comment

• BF: fat chance, HA!

Skunk: the ballscrew saga was a slight misalignment at the fixed bearing mount. Not a big deal when the machine was in its usual work area, but as soon as I got to far extent on Y axis, where nut was closest to fixed bearing, I think I was squashing the balls. Then they'd just tear themselves up over time. And yes I can monitor following error. I can do that both in the Kingstar software that's running the show and the Leadshine software on the drives. The leadshine software kind of stinks but I trust the numbers more. However, it only runs on Win7 or older so it was a constant hassle of disconnecting and working between two computers. I finally gave up chasing all the settings out (there are so many and they're so intimately interconnected) that I just had to step back and take a more practical approach.

I tuned the machine based on a milled 3" diameter circle (bore). Even with my best guess settings I kept machining ovals under load. When I got that 3" to within about 0.001"-0.002" roundness i stopped there and just figured if I needed anything better I'd use a boring head. Always meant to get back into the tuning but we're still in the flirting, getting to know each other phase.

Doc: I don't know about the rebel but the nikons are horrendous for video autofocus. I manual focus everything. You'll notice my videos go from static scene to static scene and sometimes I miss the focus. Or its so thin (because of low light) that I move out of it while I'm running my mouth. You can really see it when I have something textured on the bench, like scotchbrite. The depth of field is razor thin and my hands keep moving in and out of it.

I tried DaVinci resolve, seems great and the price is perfect, but, again, was just too much. I suppose I'm just used to what I "grew up on".

Comment

• Just out of curiosity, have you looked into the Centroid Acorn setup for the DIY CNC conversions? It's a port of Centroids pro-grade software, and pretty full-featured. I was/am a total CNC noob, and it's worked out fairly well for me.

(Cue Skunkworks coming in and telling us how much better, more amazing and emotionally fulfilling LinuxCNC is. )

Doc.

Comment

• The depth of field is razor thin and my hands keep moving in and out of it.
                  -Interesting. That was actually part of the reason I thought you were doing the "spot lighting" thing.

As you probably know, the depth of focus/depth of field has a lot to do with the aperture, or F-stop, of the lens- something most typical video cameras or palm-corders don't have any manual control over. The DSLR lens has a physical iris, and the more said iris is closed, the wider your depth of focus. But, consequently also the more light is needed to get a decent exposure.

I kind of thought you were using fairly intense, close-up lighting in order to close the aperture/F-stop, which would give you a greater DOF, but also tends to have the side effect of darkening/dimming things in the less-well-lit background.

I honestly never really noticed any focus issues. (I suppose, at least not any particularly egregious ones. )

Oh, and a free gag for you: "Sponsor" stickers on your sleeves, like a NASCAR driver.

Doc.

Comment

• I really have no clue what you're talking about..... What is this Linuxcnc you talk about?

Originally posted by Doc Nickel View Post

(Cue Skunkworks coming in and telling us how much better, more amazing and emotionally fulfilling LinuxCNC is. )

Doc.

Comment

Working...
                    X