No announcement yet.

Hendey 12x30 inspection, disassembly and cleaning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN5276.jpg Views:	0 Size:	595.8 KB ID:	1995646

That sure brings back memories. My 11x20 Standard Modern had an earlier life in a school resulting in war wounds!!!

I machined the compound’s top and front as shown and filled the “toothmarks” on the bottom section with JB Weld.

Have a go at cleaning up your’s.

Geoff
    Last edited by ammcoman2; 04-05-2022, 06:41 PM.

Comment

• ……..”I think there is supposed to be a casting that clamps to the ways from a long threaded stud on the back, but I believe their not necessary for the taper attachment to work properly.”…….

Clamp and stud ARE necessary. They anchor one portion of the TA to the bed so the carriage can drag the rest “up the slope” and move the cross slide.

I shudder to imagine the racket during that compound atrocity…..

Comment

• Originally posted by SVS View Post
        ……..”I think there is supposed to be a casting that clamps to the ways from a long threaded stud on the back, but I believe their not necessary for the taper attachment to work properly.”…….

Clamp and stud ARE necessary. They anchor one portion of the TA to the bed so the carriage can drag the rest “up the slope” and move the cross slide.

I shudder to imagine the racket during that compound atrocity…..
        Thanks, I just ordered the prints for the Clamp and Bracket for the taper attachment from Hendyman.

Comment

• Well I posted on this forum about a part I couldn't find a home for on this project. Well I have good news and band news. The good news is that I located where the part (split washer) actually goes. The Bad news is that I failed to install it into the feed shaft of the leadscrew reverse mechanism under the head stock. When I fired up the lathe with the quick change gear box all connected I was getting a odd clumping noise when starting. It ran fine but always had that noise at startup. After a little research I realized that I missed installing that locking ring.
          Sooooo my stupidity is paying the price. Its probably the worst place to have to go and revisit.

Comment

• Ohhhh …..Crap!

Headstock has to come off right?

Comment

• Yup

Comment

• Well I pulled off the headstock and looked at the leadscrew reverse gears and it has the correct locking ring so that process was for not. I did discover that the bevel gears have a lot of movement on the shaft and I made a 0.030 washer to shim the almost 0.060 lateral movement.

Comment

• I wasn't impressed with the tailstock base as it had no protection from swarf and grit on the ways and no way to get lubrication under it. As it weighs almost 60 libs I decided to make some accommodations for lubrication and way wipers.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2829.jpg Views:	0 Size:	552.9 KB ID:	1997938 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2827.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.09 MB ID:	1997939

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2839.jpg Views:	0 Size:	597.6 KB ID:	1997940 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2840.jpg Views:	0 Size:	554.9 KB ID:	1997935

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2841.jpg Views:	0 Size:	551.1 KB ID:	1997936

Hopefully with this modification, the base of the tailstock should stay a little cleaner and better lubricated.

Comment

• very nice! I have done the same mod to both of the lathes I've owned and it makes a big difference in how easily the tailstock moves down the bed. I can only imagine it being even more of a plus when it weighs 60lbs!

Comment

• Here is a video of my test of the carriage travel on a test bar. It's not the straightest but it does give a good indication of the carriage travel accuracy. I'm pleased with it.

Comment

• Installed the tailstock today. Not the most intuitive setup to reinstall after I had it apart for almost 4 months. Got lucky and was able to install on the ways as I didn't want to setup the engine crane.
                        Quite happy with the way it now moves on the ways and clamps down with the way wipers and oilers for it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	67260856810__FD30DF94-ADDD-4219-B86C-0B9C33FF8953.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	742.8 KB
ID:	1998269

Name:	IMG_2843.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	843.1 KB
ID:	1998270

Name:	IMG_2844.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	1,020.6 KB
ID:	1998271

Comment

• I really like that green color. Not too prissy, like some.
                          Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

• It’s dumb, but my single most missed feature of the Hendey I owned is the lever lock tailstock.

I wish Sidney had infringed on that patent.

Comment

• Well the beast is alive and it does make chips. This is the first experience I have with this much power and negative tooling. I am pleased with the finish considering it's
                              mild steel and sticky at that. I plan to test both WNMG and CNMG style inserts. I have also sources some of both for aluminum as I have good success on softer steels. I thought I would like to use 20mm or 3/4" tooling but honestly 5/8" is probably just fine as I don't plan to try to hog off lots of material.

Name:	IMG_2848.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	655.3 KB
ID:	1998390

Comment

• Such a beautiful machine and fantastic restore
                                Now you going to get it dirty ? Oh my what a shame ​​​​​​

Comment

Working...
                                X