Hendey 12x30 inspection, disassembly and cleaning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mattthemuppet View Post

. . . Trying to make someone look stupid doesn't make you look smart.

Two sayings that would be worth remembering next time you post
    Right back at you. Bented's comment was filled with alternate interpretations, yours not so much.

Comment

Originally posted by skipd1 View Post
      I had an easy time removing the taper pins on the lead screw, so I decided to pull off the QCGB as well as the lead screw and mounts. I also removed the auto stop rod, handles and mounts.
      Are you going to fix that broken "front tooth" on the QCGB?

Comment

.... My next task was to flush out both the 3 speed and QCGB in the same manner as with the headstock. The Jacobs QCGB was really dirty and had a lot of swarf in the bottom of the case. The 3 speed gearbox next to it was relatively clean.
        What is a Jacobs box?

-D
        DZER

Comment

You're just being a pain.
          I took it as a good natured tease. After 5 years plus, I have a disassembled lathe and am using the lathe that I got so that I could make the parts I needed for the one that is still in pieces.
          "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

Comment

I had an easy time removing the taper pins on the lead screw, so I decided to pull off the QCGB as well as the lead screw and mounts. I also removed the auto stop rod, handles and mounts.

Not sure that I will post my progress any more as there has been no participation or comments for my last two updates.

Maybe I posted this project on the wrong forum.😥

Skipd1
            Nice work so far.
            The 14" Hendey tiebar I cleaaned up only saw attention to worn and out of adjustment areas. It did get a flushing of the spindle bearing galleys and new seals in the DriveAll gearbox. Beyond that, it was never intended to be a working machine and aside for a few demonstrations, it sat on display in the Ag. Museum.

Keep posting your progress.

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post

What is a Jacobs box?

-D
              Hendey-Norton QCGB...........

Comment

Originally posted by Fasttrack View Post

Are you going to fix that broken "front tooth" on the QCGB?
                I don't think so. It would require me to completely dissamble the QCGB and braze that tooth. It dosen't impede the operation of that gear position as the locking hole above is what holds the gear mesh.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the comments I'll have more pics tomorrow with the lift off of the Headstock

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post

What is a Jacobs box?

-D
                    Sorry I meant Norton, don't know why I thought jacobs???

Comment

Thanks everyone for the comments I'll have more pics tomorrow with the lift off of the Headstock
                      Please!
                      It's the kind of rehab/repair follow-along that would sell issues if written up for the magazine.

Comment

Maybe I posted this project on the wrong forum.😥

Skipd1
                        Hey man. Try not to feel that way. I've been there. Sucks being infront of an empty crowd. But you're not. You're doing a good job and we don't have a lot to say. This forum, like all, only speaks up when you start screwing up.

I'll try to comment more.

Good job on getting the taper pins out, I had to drill a plenty!

Cheers.
                        21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
                        1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

I'm with the metal butcher, Keep the progress coming as many of us have been or are in your shoes right now. I too will try and comment more but I'm in your shoes right now with 3 of my own machines tore down in various stages of refurbishing/rebuilding. Plus a customers Kondia mill head rebuild will be coming in the shop for a fast turnaround. Sometimes it's lonely out in front of the pack but hang in there.

With regard to the Norton gear box. Try not to do anything to it you don't have to do. I posted the rebuild of a Sheldon double tumbler Norton gear box a while back. I had a spare one year newer to rob parts from. I quoted $250 for the job and what a big mistake. It took me 22 hours.

Ron

Comment

I spend a minimum of 40 hours on my Sidney box counting disassembly and reassembly. Press fits everywhere. Has more change levers vs the Hendey which just put more gears in a line. Still, it was necessary.
                            21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
                            1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

it is interesting to see your progress. I wonder how you have learned about this lathe? Have you had a similar model apart before, found some manuals or internet source? Or just a matter of digging into it with wrenches and figure it out as you go?
                              I have certainly found some good information on projects I have done but it seems like there is a balance where sometimes it is best to get off the couch, dig into it, get your hands dirty and figure it out as you go.

Comment

Luck was on my side...
                                I did not have to take all the gears out of my Hendey QC box
                                to clean it. It has bearings, not bushings, and everything looked
                                just fine. I did use a bunch of lacquer thinner and a long brush
                                to get in there and clean all the grease. My Hendey is a T&G
                                lathe, and it uses grease to lubricate everything. Not my cup
                                of tea, but it protected everything from the elements, as before
                                I got the lathe, it sat outside for 4 or 5 years. Moving forward
                                having totally cleaned up the lathe from all the old grease, I am
                                using thick STP oil, like that so named, "motor honey" thick oil
                                in a grease gun pump affair, to pump into the Zerk fittings.
                                Good luck on your Hendey.

--Doozer
                                DZER

Comment

Working...
                                X