No announcement yet.

Hendey 12x30 inspection, disassembly and cleaning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you like Naptha or Paint thinner (mineral spirits) for cleaning?
    Or are they so close to the same thing that it does not matter ? ?

-D
    DZER

Comment

Originally posted by oxford View Post
      How many HP is the original motor?
      The original motor is 3 hp

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post
        Do you like Naptha or Paint thinner (mineral spirits) for cleaning?
        Or are they so close to the same thing that it does not matter ? ?

-D
        I use Naphtha a lot, I have it in WD40 reusable spray bottles and in a Milwaukee ShureShot sprayer. I only use mineral spirits when I have to as it really smells bad to me. Naphtha is very low odor and leaves no residue. I believe it was the original dry cleaning fluid. Mineral spirits are used in a lot of parts cleaners and in mine as well. I've recommended it to many friends who now use it all the time as well. As they say "try it, you'll like it"

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2632.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	680.6 KB
ID:	1981466

Comment

Started to open up the sump under the tailstock. I really wasn't very well prepared for the mess that occurred. The first problem was the drain plug was so corroded that the Allen wrench broke through and the cutting oil started to drain with the remainder of the plug inside. I finally got a larger drain pan under it but oil always goes where it wants. There was so much swarf inside that I had to constantly pull it out with a hook tool to keep it flowing. About 2 gallons of the stuff drained before it started to slow down.

Name:	IMG_2636.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	956.7 KB
ID:	1981501 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2637.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	743.4 KB
ID:	1981502

The brown drain pan in the pic was almost 3/4 full before I got the larger pan under the machine. I'm going to remove the larger plate and the one on the other side and flush it out with mineral spirits. I hope this is the last of the really ugly dirty jobs cleaning up this machine!

Comment

Why am I not surprised with what's behind door #1

Name:	IMG_2638.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	1981686

Actually I don't really understand the logic for this sump setup. There is no screen to keep the swarf from entering this sump from the chip tray, and no recirculating pump in the cavity.
            There was at least 20 lbs of swarf and close to 3 gals of oil in this cavity and who knows for how long.
            I'm not sure how to deal with this when it's cleaned up for the future use. I may just close up the top chip tray entrance, because I certainly don't want to clean this out again!

Comment

Looks like lathe vomit ! ! !
              Yuck!

-D
              DZER

Comment

Finally got the sump cleaned up and plate reinstalled. I decided to close up the top with a thin 14ga circular cap that fits flush into the intake on the chip pan.

Name:	IMG_2640.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	910.7 KB
ID:	1982071

I also pulled out all the electrical components. I was surprised how much conduit, junction boxes, control and disconnect components were actually on the machine. I plan to use the old switch with the low voltage VFD controls and put a speed control potentiometer on it as well. I'm giving the magnetic control to the guy I purchased the lathe from as he has the same machine and his has problems reversing with his controller.

Name:	IMG_2639.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	792.1 KB
ID:	1982072
                Did some more paint removal in the last two days. The cheap Harbor Freight needle scaler has really gotten a workout, but it's certainly an effective, fast and dry paint removal method. I will have to go over all of it with a coarse wire wheel on an angle grinder before I start any bondo and primer.

Name:	IMG_2641.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	772.0 KB
ID:	1982073 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2642.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	925.7 KB
ID:	1982074

Getting close to removing the apron and carriage off the machine and cleaning it up. I picked up a cheap engine stand that I'm going to modify to hold the apron. I also picked up a small scissor jack to hold the apron up off the carriage for removal and installation. We'll see how well that works!

The apron, carriage and taper attachment are the last big projects.

Comment

Got a few more larger components painted or ready for paint, including the motor.

Name:	IMG_2651.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	475.0 KB
ID:	1983578 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2652.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	598.9 KB
ID:	1983579 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2650.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	796.8 KB
ID:	1983580 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2653.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	807.4 KB
ID:	1983581

Comment

I like the color, I think it’s going to look awesome when it’s done.

Comment

Originally posted by oxford View Post
                      I like the color, I think it’s going to look awesome when it’s done.
                      Thanks

Comment

I wasn't happy with the lifting method on the lathe when I put it in the garage. The seller loaded it on his trailer with his fork lift and I used the same lifting strap to off load it as well. I just didn't like lifting it with the headstock collar. Although is was the perfect balancing point for a single point lift.

Name:	IMG_4130.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	1983590 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4131.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	1983591

I decided to fab out a lifting fixture that would be under the main casting and clear of all the shift rods and lead screw issues. I built it out of 1/4" 2x2 rectangular tubing and positioned it low enough to clear the lower shift rod and outboard enough to be away from the leadscrew. It's actually on the same balance point as before. I tapped two 1/4-20 holes to hold the bracket in place. Hopefully when I move into my shop this will work better.

Name:	IMG_2657.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	809.5 KB
ID:	1983592 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2659.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	847.9 KB
ID:	1983593 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2660.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	798.8 KB
ID:	1983595
                        Attached Files

Comment

Just be careful when you lift it, you now have quite a bit of weight over top the lifting points where before on the spindle, most of it was under.

Comment

I think it will work good either way. I probably wouldn't have built that until I needed to move it again, but I applaud you for having it before you need it.
                            21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
                            1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

I pulled off the tail stock, cleaned and painted all the components and set it off for the paint to harden. Also had pretty bad gallling in the tail stock spindle taper. I used a set of MT3 reamers to clean up the taper as much as I could. I'll see how it holds when it's up and running.

Name:	image_21683.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	648.4 KB
ID:	1986674

Finished the Quick Change gear box as well.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2701.jpg Views:	0 Size:	564.7 KB ID:	1986676

Next is the apron.

Comment

Whoa! Can I get you to do my paint work!? Good lord...

Any filler on that tailstock?
                                21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
                                1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

Working...
                                X