No announcement yet.

Hendey 12x30 inspection, disassembly and cleaning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The apron turned out to be a pretty big project. I was quite impressed with the complexity and quality of its components. I has a lot of lubrication points and lines with a small pump that is activated with the use of the apron hand wheel and an eccentric shaft. It pumps oil up to the top of the apron to a small reservoir and also pumps up to the carriage to lubricate it as well. I used a shaft through the worm gears in the apron to lift the apron off the carriage. I fabricated a bracket that mounts to the top of the apron and attached it to an engine stand for easy access to the apron and helps with removing the back half also. I figured it would work well in installing all the components when cleaned up.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2672.jpg Views:	0 Size:	737.8 KB ID:	1986691 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2680.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1,005.6 KB ID:	1986692 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_21688.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	1,005.3 KB
ID:	1986694

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2697.jpg Views:	0 Size:	604.5 KB ID:	1986690 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2699.jpg Views:	0 Size:	987.8 KB ID:	1986693
    I'll post some pics when I put the apron back together.

Next is to attack the carriage and get that cleaned up and oil passages cleaned.

Comment

Originally posted by The Metal Butcher View Post
      Whoa! Can I get you to do my paint work!? Good lord...

Any filler on that tailstock?
      Yes but not much actually. The castings on some of the components aren't too bad. I used Bondo filler for the first coat and then spotting putty if necessary.
      I planned to brush most of the paint originally. I used Sherwin Williams all surface oil enamel for metal and had a local auto paint store put the paint in rattle cans. This proved to be a great convenience and the parts were much easier to paint and have look good. I plan to brush the paint and primer on the main machine casting and head stock, but a lot of the components got painted with spray cans. I also used a high quality etching primer prior to the top coats. I also was surprised as to how the paint went on with spray cans, I had no issues with any runs at all. Maybe its the paint quality here!!

Comment

Originally posted by skipd1 View Post

Not sure that I will post my progress any more as there has been no participation or comments for my last two updates.

Maybe I posted this project on the wrong forum.😥

Skipd1
        Nope. It's common to not have many comments from the viewers. If you want to gauge interest, look at the view count. It can give a completely different impression of the interest level. So far there are 1270 views, which is not bad. People are definitely looking, which means they are interested.

It's looking good.
        4357 2773 5647 3671 3645 0087 1276

CNC machines only go through the motions

"There's no pleasing these serpents"......Lewis Carroll

Comment

Originally posted by skipd1 View Post
          I used Sherwin Williams all surface oil enamel for metal and had a local auto paint store put the paint in rattle cans.
          That worked really well! Did the paint store have to thin it way down? Rattle can paint is usually very thin. Or is the can itself different & allows thicker paint?

Comment

Great idea! I wonder if our local auto paint store could do that. Definitely going to check it out.
            “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

They did have to thin the paint down. The SW paint was pretty thick and I think they thinned it 25%. I just went down and got 2 more cans made up. If you bring your own paint its $12/can. They charge $22 to match anything with their paint.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2706.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	1986915

Comment

I pulled off the carriage and cleaned up the V ways and oil ports. Lots of access to oil ports on this part. The ways seem quite clean for the age of the machine and obviously they got lubricated.

Name:	IMG_2702.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	1987024 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2704.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	1987025 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2705.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	1987026

Comment

That looks pretty nice actually. Looks like you got a great machine, I'm sure many here will be envious when you are done.
                  21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
                  1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

I spent quite a lot of time stoning and cleaning the bed ways to get all the nicks and dings off before I try to refit the carriage back. It's amazing how well the PFG stones work to find any discrepancies in a machined surface. There were quit a few spots close to the chuck that needed attention.

Name:	IMG_2707.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	728.6 KB
ID:	1987088 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2708.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	717.4 KB
ID:	1987089

Name:	IMG_2709.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	657.7 KB
ID:	1987090 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2710.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	808.0 KB
ID:	1987091

Comment

Name:	FA9F65BE-C644-419E-BA8D-369AF069DB9F.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	2.86 MB
ID:	1987118

It’s amazing how much chip wash and dropped object wear the tailstock ways take near the chuck.

My Sidney has it too. It’s more striking with tool steel carriage ways for contrast. (Especially in real life…)

Comment

Got most of the handles cleaned, painted and polished. I also found replacement plastic knobs with the same thread pitch from McMaster-Carr.

Name:	IMG_2711.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	1987314

Comment

Wowsers, that's going to be good enough to eat off by the time you're done, beautiful work!

Comment

Originally posted by SVS View Post

Name:	FA9F65BE-C644-419E-BA8D-369AF069DB9F.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	2.86 MB
ID:	1987118

It’s amazing how much chip wash and dropped object wear the tailstock ways take near the chuck.

My Sidney has it too. It’s more striking with tool steel carriage ways for contrast. (Especially in real life…)
                            Hell, I wish mine looked as good as yours!

Name:	tailstock ways.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	277.1 KB
ID:	1987718

Not sure how folks are so rough on them.
                            21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
                            1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

Fantastic restore I believe if you are going to do something do it right the first time no matter how long or how much work is involved it will pay off in the end keep the pic coming I sure am enjoying them just wish I lived close to your location I would love to be able to help with this project I could learn a lot from your ventures once again nice job

Comment

Thanks RB140, I wish you were here to help as well 😀

Comment

Working...
                                X