No announcement yet.

Hendey 12x30 inspection, disassembly and cleaning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finished up all the needle scaling on the main lathe castings and headstock. Not a lot of fun but felt great to have that portion of the refurb behind me. It was definitely finished with the War going on as there is not filler or any attempt to clean up the castings. I will put the first coat of primer on and see what I want to fill after. I also think I will leave the rolled edge of the chip tray polished up as any impact on those edges if painted will suffer quickly. Now lots of shop towels and Naphtha to prep for primer.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2717.jpg Views:	0 Size:	822.0 KB ID:	1988295 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2714.jpg Views:	0 Size:	778.2 KB ID:	1988294

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2715.jpg Views:	0 Size:	875.1 KB ID:	1988296 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2716.jpg Views:	0 Size:	731.2 KB ID:	1988297

Comment

Worked on cleaning up the various and many brass name and info plates. Some were so covered with layers of paint that I didn't even know they were there. I tried to be patient and took quite a little time in cleaning some of them. The lube plate for the apron and the Hendey name plate I cleaned up, painted the background in black and scraped the raised lettering with a razor knife.
      The main heavy plate that shows the feeds and speeds on the quick change gear box I pretty much left alone and It had nice patina.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2719.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	1989507

Next is to start to assemble the apron and get it ready for installation.

Comment

I dropped the apron down off of the carriage and mounted on a jig to hold it on my engine stand. I learned this trick from someone on the practical machinist forum, which actually turned out to be a great method of positioning the apron during reassembly as well.

Name:	IMG_2666.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	787.7 KB
ID:	1990306 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2721.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	785.9 KB
ID:	1990309

I then started with the disassembly and cleaning of the components. The apron was surprisingly clean of swarf. I removed the swarf cover, split the back half off and took some pics to remember how to reassemble later.
        My parts washer was just large enough to clean all the larger castings.

Name:	IMG_2674.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	812.5 KB
ID:	1990307 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2680.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	1,005.6 KB
ID:	1990308

Comment

Originally posted by skipd1 View Post
          I dropped the apron down off of the carriage and mounted on a jig to hold it on my engine stand.
          Nice job on that. I have a 2” receiver hitch under the one work table. I made up a holder to fit into that to hold the head of my mill when I had it off, engine stand would have worked just as well.

Comment

After cleanup it filled and painted both castings, cleaned and polished the handles in preparation for assembly

Name:	IMG_2697.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	604.5 KB
ID:	1990444 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2699.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	987.8 KB
ID:	1990445
            After painting I started to install the components back into the main apron casting.

Name:	IMG_2726.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	1990447 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2725.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	768.5 KB
ID:	1990446

I didn't know there was a difference in the worm gears and quite a difficult time until I figured that out.

Comment

Very nicely done. You're doing a fine job, keep it up. When I did the apron on my 14 X 40 Saimp it was quite the challenge working on it on the bench then flipping it over for this and that. I can see the fixture on the engine stand would be much handier, well done.
              Ron

Comment

Thanks Ron, I appreciate your comments👍
                Last edited by skipd1; 03-07-2022, 05:40 PM.

Comment

Love the engine stand adaptation.
                  Pretty cool.

I will be taking the apron apart on
                  my Hendey T&G pretty soon.
                  This is helpful.

-Doozer
                  DZER

Comment

Apron is finished and ready to go back on the lathe when its ready.

Name:	IMG_2749.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	624.4 KB
ID:	1990652

Comment

• You do very nice work.
                      “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

• The main lathe casting, and headstock are all cleaned up and primed. I plan to a little more spot filling on the front of the headstock before final coats of finish paint. I will brush and roll on all the large sections of the casting but I will spray the headstock. Its nice to have a clean machine ready for finishing.
                        On the chip pan I polished the rolled edge as I feel the paint will only chip off and its a high wear area. I will prime and paint the chip pan last.

Name:	IMG_2753.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	1.89 MB
ID:	1990986

Comment

• What type of coating will you use in the chip pan that will resist oil and scrapes?

Comment

• skipd, yer gonna need sunglasses to run that machine.

Comment

• Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post
                              What type of coating will you use in the chip pan that will resist oil and scrapes?
                              Nothin' except powder coat it. Maybe I'm weird, but I like seeing the wear marks, so I just let it wear.
                              21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
                              1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

• Originally posted by The Metal Butcher View Post

Nothin' except powder coat it. Maybe I'm weird, but I like seeing the wear marks, so I just let it wear.
                                Spray in bed liner material would work, but wouldn't be very smooth. We had equipment carts powder coated, found the finish anything but abrasion resistant.

Comment

Working...
                                X