• Show
Clear All

• You own a Hendey.
    You can start referring to the QCGB
    as the Norton box.

-Doozer
    DZER

Comment

• Finished up installing the cover for the drive clutch and brake. You have to pull the end cap casting off to change belts, not the best design but it's not that difficult to pull off.
      I decided that I want to install the carriage and apron before I mount the Norton gear box. Besides there's issues with the two control shafts that don't need to be installed before the apron, they just get in the way.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2787.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	786.7 KB
ID:	1994343 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2785.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	733.3 KB
ID:	1994344

I also decided to scrape the top of the carriage where the compound sits for better oil retention. I also scraped the mating surface of the compound slide as well.

Name:	IMG_2780.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	903.6 KB
ID:	1994346 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2783.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	1994345 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2781.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	469.0 KB
ID:	1994347

I also made the felt wipers for the carriage. I read somewhere that rubber wipers are also very effective and some advised using both felt and rubber. So I made both and installed them on the carriage. We'll see how effective they are.

Comment

• Pretty green.
        I regret painting my Hendey generic smoke grey.

-D
        DZER

Comment

• Thanks Doozer I appreciate your comments

Comment

• Installed the apron to the carriage. Lots of fiddley stuff to get it lined up. I filled up the apron reservoir and tested the pump before I bolted them together. The pump works fine. I had to make some rubber gaskets so the pump would allow it to pressurize the carriage compound V ways. Oil flows up into the carriage and out on to the compound V ways, it's a pretty slick system.

Name:	IMG_2788.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	752.6 KB
ID:	1994508 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2789.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	709.3 KB
ID:	1994509

Comment

• Originally posted by Doozer View Post
              Pretty green.
              I regret painting my Hendey generic smoke grey.

-D
              +1

What is that shade called? I like it!

Comment

• Originally posted by skipd1 View Post
                Finished up installing the cover for the drive clutch and brake. You have to pull the end cap casting off to change belts, not the best design but it's not that difficult to pull off.
                I decided that I want to install the carriage and apron before I mount the Norton gear box. Besides there's issues with the two control shafts that don't need to be installed before the apron, they just get in the way.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2787.jpg Views:	62 Size:	786.7 KB ID:	1994343 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2785.jpg Views:	63 Size:	733.3 KB ID:	1994344

I also decided to scrape the top of the carriage where the compound sits for better oil retention. I also scraped the mating surface of the compound slide as well.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2780.jpg Views:	61 Size:	903.6 KB ID:	1994346 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2783.jpg Views:	61 Size:	1.07 MB ID:	1994345 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2781.jpg Views:	62 Size:	469.0 KB ID:	1994347

I also made the felt wipers for the carriage. I read somewhere that rubber wipers are also very effective and some advised using both felt and rubber. So I made both and installed them on the carriage. We'll see how effective they are.
                Wow, super work!

They went with a lot of belts on these lathes so they don't wear out. I bet a new set goes 40 years or better.

Cool on the scraping. I didn't know you did that. It's something I need to get into some day.

Felt is good. Rubber is arguably better in some areas. Brass is arguably better in others. If I had my ultimate way wiper, it would be like Axleson, angled to push chips off, then a brass scraper, then rubber, then felt. With good oil, it simply wouldn't wear. Too much oil film. I truely think that lathes get worn out due to grit and lack of lubrication. The contact area to pressure is nearly zero compared to say a wrist pin. What you did will work super if your ways are in good shape. On my Sidney I used felt only. That's how it was setup, and the ways are badly scored, so rubber would do little. On dad's Lagun, the ways are in very good shape, so I used only rubber. The felt would only really re-distribute oil, which the rubber does a good job of.

Ex: felt with no rubber used on cast iron requires semi-frequent cleaning to maintain effectiveness. But rubber does not. But rubber doesn't "self-heal" once there is a nick in it. Your setup, the rubber wipes the majority and the felt will wipe the fines that get under. I suspect you will see nearly zero wear ever if you keep it well oiled. Kudos on the job well done there.

Originally posted by skipd1 View Post

Installed the apron to the carriage. Lots of fiddley stuff to get it lined up. I filled up the apron reservoir and tested the pump before I bolted them together. The pump works fine. I had to make some rubber gaskets so the pump would allow it to pressurize the carriage compound V ways. Oil flows up into the carriage and out on to the compound V ways, it's a pretty slick system.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2788.jpg Views:	22 Size:	752.6 KB ID:	1994508 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2789.jpg Views:	22 Size:	709.3 KB ID:	1994509
                Very nice. Where was the rubber used? I'm curious as I didn't need any gaskets on mine. Flows on the the cross-slide ways or all the way up into the compound? Either way it's a slick setup, but an auto-oiled compound would be amazing.
                21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
                1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

• Originally posted by SVS View Post

+1

What is that shade called? I like it!
                  Its Sherwin Williams All Surface Enamel in "Secret Garden" color

Comment

• I have that same lathe that I've been "restoring" for the last 5 or 6 years, and by that I mean I stupidly decided to repaint it and everything has been taken apart this whole time and I don't have room to work on it. You've done a wonderful job on yours. Really beautiful work!
                    Stuart de Haro

Comment

• Control shafts for drive clutch/brake, and the leadscrew reverse finished. Lots of fiddley adjustments and alignment to get these handles working in the correct positions.

Name:	IMG_2790.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	671.3 KB
ID:	1995141 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2796.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	655.2 KB
ID:	1995142

Name:	IMG_2792.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	609.5 KB
ID:	1995143

I'm going to have to power up the motor and check these adjustments pretty soon, but for now I think it's time to finish the cross slide and compound with the taper attachment.

Comment

• Cool factoid about Hendey is they’ll cut a 45* champher by pulling both feeds at once. The literature mentions combining this feature with the taper attachment to cut a wider than usual range of tapers.

I THINK that’s rare among other brands?

Comment

Cool factoid about Hendey is they’ll cut a 45* champher by pulling both feeds at once. The literature mentions combining this feature with the taper attachment to cut a wider than usual range of tapers.

I THINK that’s rare among other brands?
                          I don’t know exactly how common that feature was but, it was available from other high quality manufacturers. Pratt and Whitney definitely offered it.

Comment

• Tried my Sidney today to be sure…it does not, pretty sure my former Monarch CBB didn’t either. (To be clear-On the front side of the work.)

Comment

Tried my Sidney today to be sure…it does not, pretty sure my former Monarch CBB didn’t either. (To be clear-On the front side of the work.)
                              Sidneys are unusual do to the feeding direction. It will do it, you just need to be on the back side of the work.
                              21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
                              1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

• Finished installing the cross slide and compound with the taper attachment. It took me a while to completely understand how the taper attachment works as I have never used or had one myself.
                                The gibs for the taper attachment, cross slide and compound were in really good condition and all the sliding V ways work nice and smooth. It was a relief as before I stripped it down most of the sliding ways were very sticky.

Name:	IMG_2803.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	823.9 KB
ID:	1995617 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2802.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	809.8 KB
ID:	1995620

Name:	IMG_2804.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	788.1 KB
ID:	1995618 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2801.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	794.5 KB
ID:	1995619

Name:	IMG_2805.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	716.6 KB
ID:	1995621

I need to make another oval washer for the adjustment knob on the back side of the taper attachment and a thicker washer for the binding clamp. I think there is supposed to be a casting that clamps to the ways from a long threaded stud on the back, but I believe their not necessary for the taper attachment to work properly.
                                I am somewhat disappointed in the rough condition of the compound as its been mangled to the point its difficult to read the degree scale. Its difficult to believe that an operator can be that rough on a machine. If that's the worst thing that happened to this machine in almost 85 years I'm okay with that!

Comment

Working...
                                X