Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• skipd1
    replied
    I completed the fabrication of the back splash for the Hendey. It was more work than I thought, but turned out well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2869.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	575.1 KB
ID:	2000140 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2868.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	596.4 KB
ID:	2000141

Name:	IMG_2870.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	462.1 KB
ID:	2000142

Leave a comment:

• skipd1
    replied
    I was lucky enough to find and original Steady Rest for this Hendey12x30. Its in great condition.

Name:	IMG_2874.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	775.7 KB
ID:	2000138

I have been looking for a while and this is the only one I have located. I plan to repaint it to match the lathe

Leave a comment:

• skipd1
    replied
    No I didn't. I thought it maybe was from the leadscrew reverse gear setup, but after pulling off the headstock (not an easy task) and inspecting it I indeed had correctly assembled all the correct parts including the locking ring. For the life of me I can't locate where this split ring goes. I now have the lathe back together and running and it seems to run nicely. I have a little gear noise but I haven't put any lube on any of the spur gears yet.

Here is a picture of the lock ring on the left and the ring on the right was the correct lock ring that was installed in the leadscrew reverse shaft.

Name:	IMG_2834 (003).jpg
Views:	83
Size:	325.9 KB
ID:	1998738
    Nobody seems to know where it goes on this machine.

Leave a comment:

• oxford
    replied
    Maybe I missed it but did you ever figure out where the “extra” retainer came from?

Leave a comment:

• skipd1
    replied
    Originally posted by Bented View Post
    Completely disassemble it, painstakingly strip all paint, clean and paint the parts then reassemble.

Before you know it 5 years will have passed and you will have a working lathe that looks new.

At this stage do not use it as a machine tool, it will become dirty, discolored and the paint so lovingly applied will be scratched.
    Leave it sit unused so that it may be admired in its glorious perfection.

Buy another lathe for actual use.
    Looks like I'm a little ahead of schedule!!

Leave a comment:

• JRouche
    replied
    Originally posted by skipd1 View Post
    Installed the tailstock today. Not the most intuitive setup to reinstall after I had it apart for almost 4 months. Got lucky and was able to install on the ways as I didn't want to setup the engine crane.
    Quite happy with the way it now moves on the ways and clamps down with the way wipers and oilers for it.

Name:	67260856810__FD30DF94-ADDD-4219-B86C-0B9C33FF8953.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	742.8 KB
ID:	1998269
    WoW!! You do really nice work.. I like that green also. So much grey in my small shop it feels like Im in the Navy ... Great job... JR

Leave a comment:

• RB140
    replied
    Such a beautiful machine and fantastic restore
    Now you going to get it dirty ? Oh my what a shame ​​​​​​

Leave a comment:

• skipd1
    replied
    Well the beast is alive and it does make chips. This is the first experience I have with this much power and negative tooling. I am pleased with the finish considering it's
    mild steel and sticky at that. I plan to test both WNMG and CNMG style inserts. I have also sources some of both for aluminum as I have good success on softer steels. I thought I would like to use 20mm or 3/4" tooling but honestly 5/8" is probably just fine as I don't plan to try to hog off lots of material.

Name:	IMG_2848.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	655.3 KB
ID:	1998390

Leave a comment:

• SVS
    replied
    It’s dumb, but my single most missed feature of the Hendey I owned is the lever lock tailstock.

I wish Sidney had infringed on that patent.

Leave a comment:

• lynnl
    replied
    I really like that green color. Not too prissy, like some.

Leave a comment:

• skipd1
    replied
    Installed the tailstock today. Not the most intuitive setup to reinstall after I had it apart for almost 4 months. Got lucky and was able to install on the ways as I didn't want to setup the engine crane.
    Quite happy with the way it now moves on the ways and clamps down with the way wipers and oilers for it.

Name:	67260856810__FD30DF94-ADDD-4219-B86C-0B9C33FF8953.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	742.8 KB
ID:	1998269

Name:	IMG_2843.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	843.1 KB
ID:	1998270

Name:	IMG_2844.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	1,020.6 KB
ID:	1998271

Leave a comment:

• skipd1
    replied

Here is a video of my test of the carriage travel on a test bar. It's not the straightest but it does give a good indication of the carriage travel accuracy. I'm pleased with it.

Leave a comment:

• mattthemuppet
    replied
    very nice! I have done the same mod to both of the lathes I've owned and it makes a big difference in how easily the tailstock moves down the bed. I can only imagine it being even more of a plus when it weighs 60lbs!

Leave a comment:

• skipd1
    replied
    I wasn't impressed with the tailstock base as it had no protection from swarf and grit on the ways and no way to get lubrication under it. As it weighs almost 60 libs I decided to make some accommodations for lubrication and way wipers.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2829.jpg Views:	0 Size:	552.9 KB ID:	1997938 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2827.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.09 MB ID:	1997939

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2839.jpg Views:	0 Size:	597.6 KB ID:	1997940 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2840.jpg Views:	0 Size:	554.9 KB ID:	1997935

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2841.jpg Views:	0 Size:	551.1 KB ID:	1997936

Hopefully with this modification, the base of the tailstock should stay a little cleaner and better lubricated.

Leave a comment:

• skipd1
    replied
    Well I pulled off the headstock and looked at the leadscrew reverse gears and it has the correct locking ring so that process was for not. I did discover that the bevel gears have a lot of movement on the shaft and I made a 0.030 washer to shim the almost 0.060 lateral movement.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X