OT farm pond repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT farm pond repair

Mining activity fractured the bottom of a pond on a property I have draining it. I had to dig out the muck from the bottom, haul around 1000 tons of clay from another part of the property to line the bottom of the pond. Pipe in a spring that still works to start filling it. The project took a while since I did everything myself. We have not had much rain or snow so filling is going slow. Should take around one million gallons.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pond digging muck.jpg
Views:	597
Size:	278.4 KB
ID:	1976368 Click image for larger version

Name:	pond digging muck 3.jpg
Views:	565
Size:	254.3 KB
ID:	1976369 Click image for larger version

Name:	pond haul in clay.jpg
Views:	572
Size:	205.0 KB
ID:	1976370 Click image for larger version

Name:	pond clay lining west end.jpg
Views:	565
Size:	216.7 KB
ID:	1976371 Click image for larger version

Name:	pond filling 12 22 2021 ice.jpg
Views:	573
Size:	215.0 KB
ID:	1976372

Nice work RR now go get some R&R, how have you been feeling? must have gotten most of your strength back im assuming ?

Comment

Thanks for asking. Some days could barely drag through it. To add insult to injury, my wife talked me in to the booster. It was by a different manufacturer (Moderna). It was not nearly as bad as the first two shots; maybe half strength? I did not want to get it but if you were married ..............
      I hope you have recouped, at least some by now.
      Last edited by Ridgerunner; 12-23-2021, 10:02 PM.

Comment

Good to hear - im doing much better also in fact back to about 97% barely a hitch --- no way I can get boosted I wish I could but no way after what i went through...

keep keeping on im very glad to see your up and around and getting so much done!

Comment

At least you had the clay around the property. Friend of mine has a pond a bit over 1 1/2 or 2 acres. He's had to put quite a bit of bentonite into it, and there is still a leak somewhere.
          CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

I talked to a hydrologist before I started and he felt bentonite would not work in this case. Many years ago when I first put in the pond there was a small leak around the outflow pipe. I used some bentonite there and it fixed that.

Comment

Talking of farm ponds, if you want a laugh see if you can find the recording of " **** Shower over Cheshire" by Blaster Bates. I saw him in person about 1970 and found his stories hilarious.
              Regards David Powell.

Comment

Originally posted by David Powell View Post
                Talking of farm ponds, if you want a laugh see if you can find the recording of " **** Shower over Cheshire" by Blaster Bates. I saw him in person about 1970 and found his stories hilarious.
                Regards David Powell.
                found this but its not in english. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOwven0Rt94
                san jose, ca. usa

Comment

When drilling on the oil rig we had to wet drill allot and built a pond to feed the rigs pressure head, We used bentonite for the mix to keep the water in the pond,,, it made for one slippery deck...

Comment

The mining company drilled three ten inch water wells on the property to replace stream water lost. One of the wells was a dry hole. At first they said they would use it for a monitor well but discovered it had methane gas in it. They told me to stay away from it for a few days before they came back in and dumped bentonite down the well to seal it. The casing was then cut off and the ground graded.

Comment

Originally posted by Ridgerunner View Post
                      Thanks for asking. Some days could barely drag through it. To add insult to injury, my wife talked me in to the booster. It was by a different manufacturer (Moderna). It was not nearly as bad as the first two shots; maybe half strength? I did not want to get it but if you were married ..............
                      You have a good wife.

Comment

Just curious...if it is a mine subsidence issue, is there a chance it might happen again?

Great job by the way. Wish I had your equipment, although with only 8 acres I really don't need more than I have equipment wise...

Comment

Originally posted by Ridgerunner View Post
                          The boosters in the US, Phizer and Moderna are half dose.

Comment

Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post

The boosters in the US, Phizer and Moderna are half dose.
                            Had all three. Dose two of Pfizer was the one that made me feel crummy for 3 days. No problem, I knew it was working. Booster did not do anything (it was Moderna). Maybe I just got a dose of salt water left over from the double blind testing, or it was just the tracking chip and nothing more.

The folks who HAD Covid before the vaccines (and survived it) said the dose made them think they had Covid again. Don't know what to think about the mild booster.
                            CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

That is some nice work you did on the tank. I hope it holds water for you. Having built a lot of tanks for our cattle I know how frustrating it came be if they are not sound.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Working...
                              X