Webb Space Telescope

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JRouche View Post
    Dont getme going on this. Because I am torn.

I heard they spent 6 billion dollars on this telescope.

I said to my wife, hey Bronwyn, dont you think 6B would feed the world. She never answers me. Nurse, be careful if you find one. hahaaaa. Love my wife, Bronwyn.

I think 6 billion dollars could feed many people. And the sci guy says but?? Naw. 6 Billion dollrs for one scope doing one thing? No. JR
    10 Billon actually. Which works out to about 5 days of medicaid/medicare. We spend over 2 billion a day on that.

Comment

Originally posted by Joel View Post
      One astronomer said that if it were on the earth, it could see something as small as a bumblebee on the moon.
      Well there goes what little privacy we have left. I'm sure the govt. will be secretly using it for other purposes than were being told.

JL...............

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
        Well there goes what little privacy we have left. I'm sure the govt. will be secretly using it for other purposes than were being told.

JL...............
        Atmospheric distortion fixes a lot of that threat........ not all, but..........
        4357 2773 5150 9120 9135 8645 1007 1190 2133 9120 5942

Keep eye on ball.
        Hashim Khan

Everything not impossible is compulsory

"There's no pleasing these serpents"......Lewis Carroll

Comment

Originally posted by macona View Post
          No, not even close.
          I am no optics expert, so I Googled in search of some context (and I did meant to put the word 'see' in quotations). I suspect it was an imperfectly worded description of John Mather's assertion.

https://futurism.com/the-telescope-t...lmost-complete

What's the dimmest magnitude object that Webb can detect?
          You can explore what #JWST will see using this exposure time calculator: http://jwstetc.stsci.edu/etc/ #JWST can see the heat signature of a bumblebee at the distance of the Moon.
          https://jwst.nasa.gov/content/about/...weetChat2.html

Comment

There is a thing, Sometimes called "Veiling glare" or the "cosmic background" that may set a limit on just "how far back" observation may take us.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=zoom+view+...%3DsYIxx4dULGw

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post

JL...............
              the earth is too hot....

Comment

A view of Earth will be blocked by the sun shield,. The telescope can only look outward, away from the direction of the sun.
                Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

Originally posted by aostling View Post
                  I got up early today, and witnessed the perfect launch of the James Webb Space Telescope. I'll be checking the progress of its voyage to the L2 insertion point, here:

https://webb.nasa.gov/content/webbLa...ereIsWebb.html

The JWST will be able to answer questions we don't even know how to ask yet.
                  I think I read they are going to put it at just about one million miles out eventually. I think I read its orbit is around that number. It has to be far enough out to clear the debris field. And to be honest, 1M miles is not that far. JR

I watched it also. The rocket engines on that payload means she is being fired way out there.

I cnt wait till they fire some guys to the moon again. Very exciting, JR Various ways of orbiting a craft.

They pop them all the time here in Santa Barbra ( I watch them. Vandenburg). In Florida. and one other place. Why?

Why those two spots? Russia has Kasitan, China has South America, Chile I think.

I am all for it. People that have the balls to do this? I commend you Ladies and Gents.

I am too afraid. ( I am only afraid of high places) JR

I think nk a normal orbit is easy. To put a sat up or below, Ina polar orbit is i different. Very difficult... J R

I almost see them all. And they are all south shots. Big ones too, Its pretty cool. Who knew. Id be watching rocket stuffs from my house. Not me... JR
                  Last edited by JRouche; 12-27-2021, 04:18 AM.

Comment

The first image has just arrived from the telescope: https://www.sickipedia.net/pics/ua7oa8qeu9xlu
                    All of the gear, no idea...

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Carlstedt View Post

can you imagine ? Queen Isabella gave old Chris 6 Billion to build 3 boats Nina,Pinta,and Santa Maria ( they sound like girls names !) ---and he expects to use it to sail off the edge of the world.
                      A lot of peasants could be fed for that ..can you imagine ?
                      Rich

A basic instinct in man is to
                      "Go where no one has gone before"
                      Right!!!!

Those three Junkets

Dont ever talk to a Sailor about them Ships please. JR

Comment

Originally posted by JRouche View Post

They pop them all the time here in Santa Barbra ( I watch them. Vandenburg). In Florida. and one other place. Why?

Why those two spots? Russia has Kasitan, China has South America, Chile I think.

[/I]
                        Vandenberg launches south vs cape Canaveral where they launch east. Launching south allows for high inclination orbits. In the US we dont like to launch over land in case stuff falls. Thats also why the spacex facility in Texas is where it is at, the fllght path takes it over water.

Comment

Originally posted by aostling View Post

Mikey, thanks for the informative link.

I am wondering about the shape of the concave primary mirror. Spherical seems most likely as it would be easier to grind and measure. If so, is the convex secondary mirror aspherical to minimize aberrations?
                          The primary mirror is about 21.5 ft in diameter. The secondary mirror is supported by three 25-foot-long struts, that extend from the primary mirror. It is safe to assume the primary mirror focal distance is about the same as its diameter. So the ratio of focal distance/diameter=1. There is a rule that spherical shape is only good for ratios above 10, otherwise the image quality suffers. For smaller ratios a parabolic shape is used. It is more difficult to make and measure, but who cares about that in the unique Webb project. I was talking about a single mirror, but have no idea how they shaped 18 individual segments. It is possible they all have the same spherical shape, but aligned later to form a giant parabolic surface.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian B View Post
                            The first image has just arrived from the telescope: https://www.sickipedia.net/pics/ua7oa8qeu9xlu
                            I laughed so hard I called the wife, She couldn't see as funny. Some folks just have a different sense of humor. :-)
                            ...lew...

Comment

There are now two competing threads on this. Which will prevail?
                              Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

Originally posted by darryl View Post
                                . . . High hopes for that telescope.
                                After posting here you apparently forgot that you did, and started a new thread with an almost identical title. A majority of astronomers are not happy with the official name. NASA now likes to call it the Webb Space Telescope (hence the title of this thread), as opposed to James Webb Space Telescope (the title of your new thread). Perhaps in time we will forget that administrator, and think of some other Mr Webb.

Clifton, perhaps?

Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

Working...
                                X