https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwysUlbOGZk

Leave a comment:

• lakeside53
    replied
    ya, they didn't even have slide rules!

Leave a comment:

• lynnl
    replied
    All the more amazing is that much of the orbital mechanics involved was figured out in the 1700's. ...makes me feel even more stupid!

Leave a comment:

• aostling
    replied
    Originally posted by lakeside53 View Post

So.. Goggle is my friend... this is worth watching What Makes Lagrange Points Special Locations In Space - YouTube
    I am glad you were able to answer your own question! Your link with its amazing simulation is way beyond anything I imagined.

Leave a comment:

• Randy
    replied
    Originally posted by lakeside53 View Post
    Why does it need to orbit the L2 point? [/URL]
    Quick answer at 11:58 of this video.

https://youtu.be/fqHJ05IO-cA?t=717

Last edited by Randy; 01-25-2022, 05:35 AM.

Leave a comment:

• lakeside53
    replied
    Why does it need to orbit the L2 point? What (forces) is it orbiting? Can't it "just" orbit the sun synchronously with Earth?

So.. Goggle is my friend... this is worth watching What Makes Lagrange Points Special Locations In Space - YouTube
    Last edited by lakeside53; 01-25-2022, 01:43 AM.

Leave a comment:

• aostling
    replied
    Webb is now in its "halo orbit" around the L2 point.

https://webb.nasa.gov/content/webbLa...ereIsWebb.html

Leave a comment:

• macona
    replied
    Yeah, seeing what he has done really reminds me I need to get my scope out and test the mount I made.

Leave a comment:

• aostling
    replied
    That is quite amazing. The screen resolution on my 16" MacBook Pro is 3072 x 1920, and the JWST in the final frames occupies one moving pixel. I wondered what sort of telescope was used, and found this in the comments.
    The photos were shot with a $1,799 Celestron RASA 8 telescope, a $999 ZWO ASI183MM Pro monochrome camera, a $2,268 iOptron CEM40 equatorial mount, and an Astronomik H-alpha 12nm filter

Leave a comment:

• macona
    replied
    Video of a guy catching it on his telescope:

Leave a comment:

• darryl
    replied
    Months now for it to cool down-

Leave a comment:

• macona
    replied
    It’s not that bad. At the red to NIR end of the spectrum it should have considerably better resolution than the Hubble. It’s only when you get to MWIR and LWIR that you start losing resolution.

Leave a comment:

• aostling
    replied
    The video is instructive, especially in its discussion of the simple equation equating angular resolution to λ/D. This explains why despite the larger aperture the Webb images may not be as sharp as those obtained in the visible wavelengths. It tempers my expectation of what we should soon be seeing.

Leave a comment:

• macona
    replied
    Huygens Optics did a short video on telescope resolution vs wavelength and diameter and talks about the Webb:

Leave a comment:

Working...
X