No announcement yet.

Crankshaft repair. Truly amazing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And then the cylinder liners, note the carefully selected scrap. (has to fit through the hole)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4ZkOME1oTc
    4357 2773 5150 9120 9135 8645 1007 1190 2133 9120 5942

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Everything not impossible is compulsory

"There's no pleasing these serpents"......Lewis Carroll

Comment

• Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
      And then the cylinder liners, note the carefully selected scrap. (has to fit through the hole)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4ZkOME1oTc
      I was going to link to that one earlier when I first saw it.
      Was going to title the link as:..................Sourcing Only the Finest Alloys Available.

But hey, it fits the need and the price is right.
      Much like many on this side of the planet rummaging through Walmart.
      Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
      Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

• I love the one on making truck wheel centres. Omygod they use scrap plate from cut up ships. How many years of stress and salt corrosion did that steel endure. When it's done I bet there is 'only' 1/2 inch of runout.

Comment

• And the welding--. Most of them don't bother with a face screen when they are just tacking and even when its the full weld (like the crankshaft) its the cheapest and nastiest hand held screen.
          I don't know about you, but if I tried that I'd get 'arc eye' straight away.
          'It may not always be the best policy to do what is best technically, but those responsible for policy can never form a right judgement without knowledge of what is right technically' - 'Dutch' Kindelberger

Comment

• Originally posted by Willy View Post
            After having watched a few of those truck and tractor engine rebuild videos from that neck of the woods I have to wonder more about the longevity of of the engines life due to assembly practices than the crankshaft repair.
            It'll likely spit out a bearing shell or a head gasket long before the crank fails.
            No apparent torque sequence followed or for that matter a torque wrench being used, never mind the less than clean parts and assembly methods used. Bushings hammered in, no reamers, etc.etc.....
            It will likely grind itself to death slowly.
            A new crank would be a waste.
            Willy you are wrong about the lack of using torque wrenches. Abdul does 40nm ,Ismael does the 120nm and Mohammed and Yusaf do the 400NM .

Comment

• Watching the link for cylinder liners I particularly like the PPE, especially the FR rated sandals. But seriously, in their country these guys are considered skilled labor. I have to give it to them, they make do with what they have on hand. A mindset lost on advanced civilization.
              Sole proprietor of Acme Buggy Whips Ltd.
              Specialty products for beating dead horses.

Comment

• Originally posted by IkeHarris View Post
                It’s all about understanding what you can get away with. This applies to some hack repair or the original design. Each has constraints both economic and technical.

When a weld puddle solidifies the fusion zone is left in a state of strong tensile residual stress. Add this residual stress to whatever tensile load cycle is seen in service and you have a formula for early fatigue failure. The designer of the crank shaft probably was aware that the crank could fail late in life well after the warranty and the market expectations at about that spot. The designer certainly didn’t factor in that some weld repair would be done in this heavily loaded area of his/her crank.

The video: https://youtu.be/BA3BskhJD9k mentions at about 2:00 that a laser clad repair reduced fatigue strength by 60%. This to me is understandable considering the low heat input and high cooling rate of laser cladding would generate very high residual tensile stress. A conventional weld repair with its high heat input would stress relieve the fusion zone to a degree. You can see the journal glowing red in the videos. Not a furnace stress relief but good enough to get by.

Why would someone with a laser clad a crank journal making it junk?
                In short answer to your question --- I really don't know...

And the one thing I did not like about that video I posted is they were not really clear what they were trying to get across in relation to the laser cladding, was it the best choice option "most" people are using and still had piss poor results? the question on the page just before they brought up the results from lazer cladding was "Do you know what happens to material strength due to welding?"

And like you state it sounds like the "skin" might be stressed and weaker due to the fact, but, it also sounds like LC very much leaves the base material alone in comparison to other methods,,, It's got the lowest HAZ (Heat affected zone) of any of the popular processes one would use to build up a journal for a regrind,,,

https://htscoatings.com/blogs/our-cr...s-weld-overlay

So if their asking that question about "welding" then it seems like it all must be bad, what's their solution? "thermal spray?" I do not know enough about any of this to take a stab at what they are actually trying to "sell" us on...

Of course - I guess they could be a company that makes new crankshafts then everything would make sense...

Comment

• Originally posted by plunger View Post
                  Willy you are wrong about the lack of using torque wrenches. Abdul does 40nm ,Ismael does the 120nm and Mohammed and Yusaf do the 400NM .
                  And don't forget that Sadiq is in charge of wiping things with a dirty rag. Can't finish a job without a 120 grit rag can we. Then there is Mustafa and his three pre teen kids who's in charge of logistics which primarily consists of dumping completed work on the dirt floor. The direction it's dumped in points to the side of town it gets delivered to. Mustafa then calls 3 finger Fazrah with the tuk tuk to deliver it. Quite the minty operation. Ya just gotta be careful not to touch the open wires that power stuff and you're ok.
                  Last edited by I make chips; 12-31-2021, 09:05 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post

And the one thing I did not like about that video I posted is they were not really clear what they were trying to get across in relation to the laser cladding, .
                    The issue I thought was ironic about that link was that it had 21 subscribers since 2018, that's right 21, quite the following.
                    A total of two comments, one of which asked a technical question which was answered by directing them to to company's website. I clicked on that link and find that it no longer exists....dead!

At least buddy in Pakistan has customers.

Comment

• Lol Chips id give you an A for creativity but seeing as you spent allot of time there im sure your just drawing from experience...

Something tells me i could take a little "vacation" there and soon be hit with a big "OMG --- everything he said is true" factor...

Comment

• Originally posted by Willy View Post

The issue I thought was ironic about that link was that it had 21 subscribers since 2018, that's right 21, quite the following.
                        A total of two comments, one of which asked a technical question which was answered by directing them to to company's website. I clicked on that link and find that it no longer exists....dead!

At least buddy in Pakistan has customers.
                        Well now we have to really find out what their "process" was all about and avoid it like the plague...

Comment

• Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
                          Lol Chips id give you an A for creativity but seeing as you spent allot of time there im sure your just drawing from experience...
                          Something tells me i could take a little "vacation" there and soon be hit with a big "OMG --- everything he said is true" factor...
                          One thing about the mideast and paki are the smells you remember for life. Besides garlic and curry, overwhelmingly human poo. Many countries charge for sewer use. They block off the pipe with concrete to avoid the charge and use a 20 litre bucket which is unceremoniously dumped where? Right in front of their home or business. Sharp as a marble they are... But they sure can weld up a crankshaft.

Extra bonus points: On another note we will see buildings in many countries with rebar sticking out of the roofs. Buildings are taxed upon completion. So if there's rebar sticking out it ain't completed and taxed at a lower rate Cagey little buggers ain't they. Sorry about that, now everyone is going to be looking at the buildings for rebar.

edit:
                          AK, here's something to ponder.
                          Let's say you go into the middle of an intersection and stare at the sun. Within 3 minutes you'll have 20 of them bumping your shoulders staring into the sun.
                          Last edited by I make chips; 12-31-2021, 09:38 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by I make chips View Post

One thing about the mideast and paki are the smells you remember for life. Besides garlic and curry, overwhelmingly human poo. Many countries charge for sewer use. They block off the pipe with concrete to avoid the charge and use a 20 litre bucket which is unceremoniously dumped where? Right in front of their home or business. Sharp as a marble they are... But they sure can weld up a crankshaft.

Extra bonus points: On another note we will see buildings in many countries with rebar sticking out of the roofs. Buildings are taxed upon completion. So if there's rebar sticking out it ain't completed and taxed at a lower rate Cagey little buggers ain't they. Sorry about that, now everyone is going to be looking at the buildings for rebar.

edit:
                            AK, here's something to ponder.
                            Let's say you go into the middle of an intersection and stare at the sun. Within 3 minutes you'll have 20 of them bumping your shoulders staring into the sun.
                            No, everybody here is going to try and change city ordinances to reflect the same tax advantages by not finishing their building projects.

Comment

• Sounds like you would just try your best not to go to the bathroom, gives even more credit to the guy in the crank vid knowing most likely he was "holding back a poop" for the whole duration of the repair job...

Comment

• Here you go, another one..... Lots of BFH (some of it normal, some a bit "eh").....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPI2X_rkFEI
                                4357 2773 5150 9120 9135 8645 1007 1190 2133 9120 5942

Keep eye on ball.
                                Hashim Khan

Everything not impossible is compulsory

"There's no pleasing these serpents"......Lewis Carroll

Comment

Working...
                                X