Firewood Hookaroon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firewood Hookaroon

I you cut and split firewood and don’t have one of these, you need to get one ASAP. These are fantastic for moving and lifting logs, a real labor and back saver. I had a several trees cut down behind my house on about a 10% slope and rough ground. We had to move the cut rounds about 50’ to where I could position the splitter and moving them with the hookaroon made the job so easy. I was going to buy one from Fiskars, but it wouldn’t ship till after New years, so I made these up, and have since made a few more for my boys.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0001[1].jpg
Views:	522
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	1976857 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0002[1].jpg
Views:	492
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	1976858

some things I have made to move wood easier, and the pickaroon is one half of a limb shearing tool with the tip cut and welded on 180 degrees to the way it was originally.
    Attached Files
    Ed
    Agua Dulce, So.California
    1950 F1 street rod
    1949 F1 stock V8 flathead
    1948 F6 350 chevy/rest stock, no dump bed
    1953 chevy 3100 AD for 85 S10 frame have a 4BT cummins motor, NV4500
    1968 Baha Bug with 2.2 ecotec motor, king coil-overs,P/S

Comment

Originally posted by Ed ke6bnl View Post
      some things I have made to move wood easier, and the pickaroon is one half of a limb shearing tool with the tip cut and welded on 180 degrees to the way it was originally.
      Forget about the picaroon. We need some more pics and details on the Baja bug on the background.

Comment

Funny that you posted these today, I just finished making myself one the day before yesterday.

I had a short handled one I had made with a hatchet handle as an experiment. While it worked, I had the shape of the hook part wrong so it didn't work all that well until tweaked it some with the grinder. It was then useful, but I needed the handle to be a bit longer. Having some free time this past week, I used an old sledge hammer handle that broken right below the head and made something similar to what you have.

I don't have a photo handy but have to admit, yours look much nicer than mine. I like the square tube for the head, I can see that would make it easier to get the handle nicely fitted.

I agree 100%, once you use one of these you wonder why you didn't get one much sooner. Saves so much back bending.

Those are really nicely made. I'll be stealing your pattern for the next ones I make. Thanks for posting.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed ke6bnl View Post
          Some solid recycling there. Nice.

I like the hitch receiver thing for holding small limbs for cutting. Something like that is on my project list to clamp on my tractor bucket, I seem to come across a lot of small limbs that make easy firewood. A jack to get logs off the ground for cutting in in the pipeline as well. You can buy them for not so much money but that's not as much fun.

Comment

Originally posted by oxford View Post

Forget about the picaroon. We need some more pics and details on the Baja bug on the background.
            I second that, I built a VW duner many many years ago myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Stu View Post

I second that, I built a VW duner many many years ago myself.
              I second this seconding, baja cars are neat

Comment

2 Peaveys and an axe, here. Not fast, but not hard on the body.

t
                rusting in Seattle

Comment

Originally posted by Tobias-B View Post
                  2 Peaveys and an axe, here. Not fast, but not hard on the body.

t
                  I've got a cant hook, close to the same as a peavy, to use to roll full length logs, but for moving cut rounds, you just sink the hook in the middle of the round and carry or drag it to move or lift. Best thing since hot buttered popcorn.

Comment

Originally posted by Stu View Post

I've got a cant hook, close to the same as a peavy, to use to roll full length logs, but for moving cut rounds, you just sink the hook in the middle of the round and carry or drag it to move or lift. Best thing since hot buttered popcorn.
                    I haven’t screwed around with firewood for a few years but I recently saw someone using one of these on a YouTube video and thought to myself I need one of those if I ever do again.

Comment

Mine was a 2 bitted axe till I took a fire hatchet to it. Works good.

Comment

Nice job Stu, looks great!

I made one about 12 years ago out of an old baseball bat (quit playing hardball, no use for them anymore) cut down and a long bolt run through the barrel and sharpened on the end. Certainly wasn't as pretty as yours though . We used to process a lot of wood back then (primary source of heat) and it was really handy moving rounds and splits around. I left it out in the weather too many times and it broke. I don't do much firewood anymore, just property maintenance stuff, but I still miss my pickaroon sometimes. I should make another one one of these days, would be a nice afternoon project.

It hasn't really been cold enough here yet to light the woodstove. We don't use it as much anymore since installing the propane furnace, but it's nice to fire up on the really cold days. Nothing beats the heat from a woodstove.

Comment

So here’s my two, a short handed version and a long handle one. Not quite as refined as yours but have proven to be really handy. My lower back greatly appreciates them, as homely as they are.

Click image for larger version

Name:	0762A28F-9BD2-4989-8943-FAF29BEE46E7.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	3.24 MB
ID:	1977494

Comment

I have always used a different style, a singlle one will pick up smaller pieces and with a pair you can pick up big logs to get them onto the splitter all without bending over. These have a strange triangular shaped hook at the end for wood that supposedly work better than a point.Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG1090.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	1977971Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG1089.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	1977973
                            A flick of the wrist sticks it into the log and another twist drops the log, works most of the time. I have never used the kind with a long wood handle so so idea how they compare.
                            This is my first post no not sure I got the image thing worked out.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Welcome to the forum, Very Interesting, they look like they would work really well for lifting up to a splitter. I can't tell from the pics, but do they pivot between the hook and the handle.

PS. The images look fine.

Comment

Working...
                              X