Retired, finally, got a new laptop. Need advice for a free software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jon Heron View Post

Not in my experience. I have used mine for business as do countless others. I design things in CAD (freecad) for my 3d printer, collaborate with windoze users who are using office and have not had any issues with adobe either. Wine is so good now you can even run photoshop and countless other windoze applications trouble free on it.
    You could of course also dual boot with windoze or run it in a VM if had to, I have not.
    Is there a learning curve? Absolutely! Is it worth it? Without a doubt.

Cheers,
    Jon
    So.....................

You are running these things which are ordinary windows applications, the exact same ones you would have run in windows, under Linux, without putting eitehr a VM and windows under it, or even a "windows simulator"?

I doubt it.

Either you are using whatever substitute program is available native to Linux, and being satisfied with whatever they do, limitations and all, OR you are running a Windows program under something that at least simulates Windows, all of that under Linux.

If you are using whatever generic substitute program is touted as "the very same thing", then there are bound to be compatibility issues with Windows based programs which are obviously not the same (unless you were using one of the few that was ported over). But, at least you have NO windows issues, even if the software is severely limited in availability.

If you are running windows anyhow, and just adding it under a simulator that is running under Linux, then I see almost NO advantage in adding the extra software. You are still running a windows program, under windows, or something that is claimed to "act just like Windows" (but we know it does not, see post #25).
    Last edited by J Tiers; 12-29-2021, 01:36 PM.
    4357 2773 5647 3671 3645 0087 1276

CNC machines only go through the motions

"There's no pleasing these serpents"......Lewis Carroll

Comment

Originally posted by skunkworks View Post
      Comparing linux in the 90's to now isn't even the same universe.. I have used linux since around ubuntu since 6.04ish (2006)? It certainly come a very long ways.. As I have said before - Linuxcnc got me into linux. Started dual booting - then notice that I just wasn't booting into windows anymore. I do have a vm that I used for fusion 360 - but now I have been running freecad. (which I have tried many times and had issues - but the current version seems to work quite well)

Linux certainly isn't for everyone. But if you are surfing and doing basic office type stuff - it will work just fine. It installs easy and someone mentioned uefi? linux will boot uefi no problem. I am currently using the latest Debian. Love it.

Sam

Well said skunkworks!
      To the OP, you can also run it entirely from a USB drive without modifying anything on your existing system to see if its compatible. Download the 'fedora media writer' from here if you want to try that. https://getfedora.org/en/workstation/download/
      Cheers,
      Jon

Comment

I've been using Linux for some time now. I finally switched from windows after many years. I could no longer stand the sneaky windows update process and their constant meddling in my machine and had to get away from it. Windows has become the McDonalds of operating systems,"have it our way" . With Linux I've never been more satisfied with my computer. I knew Linux was going to be good when I installed the iso off a 4meg usb and it wiped windows 10 in about 4 minutes. The Linux file manager does everything I want and Libre office writer is excellent, it accepted all my windows documents without a hitch and gives me the option to convert them or not. No more paying for virus protection and there is more than enough free software packages for me. I am now again able to use my Lasejet 4M after windows dropped the driver during one of their updates. I can't say enough about Linux.

Comment

Contrary to J-tiers experiences with libre office... I have used it more than once to fix borked Microsoft office files that Microsoft wouldn't open anymore.. (on windows and linux..)

Comment

Contrary to J-tiers experiences with libre office... I have used it more than once to fix borked Microsoft office files that Microsoft wouldn't open anymore.. (on windows and linux..)
            It probably works fine on files made with an MSO version that it has been updated for. As I mentioned, I had a file from a new MSO version, and an older LibreOffice version.
            4357 2773 5647 3671 3645 0087 1276

CNC machines only go through the motions

"There's no pleasing these serpents"......Lewis Carroll

Comment

I have dual boot Linux Ubuntu but I have not really used it except to try it out. I would greatly miss using TurboCad, PADS PCB, MS Access 2004, and Delphi (Object Pascal). However, I now use Free Pascal and Lazarus which are open source alternatives to Delphi, and I found that there are versions that will install on Linux,although perhaps not Ubuntu.

https://wiki.freepascal.org/Installing_Lazarus_on_Linux

I might see if a terminal emulator (Putty?) will work with Classic Bluetooth and HC-05 adapters. It does not work on my Toshiba Satellite laptop running Windows 10, although I think it did at one time long ago. That could be a problem with the hardware (radio) or the driver, but I think it is some stupid Windows security "feature".

I also use MPLABX for microcontroller development, and it runs on Linux via its open source NetBeans platform.

I'd like to be able to wean myself off Windows, but there are just too many applications I use frequently that would require major effort to obtain the same functionality in Linux, unless they run well on Wine or some other emulator.

I use the free Adobe Acrobat Reader DC, but lately it has given me some trouble with crashing and running out of memory. I have Nitro Pro PDF which was reasonably priced and gives me editing capability. I'm happy with Libre Office for spreadsheets and word processing but its database functions are rudimentary and I have a lot of forms and reports in MS-Access that have VBA scripts I need to use.

I've been using TurboCad for over 20 years but the Pro version with solid modeling and mechanical and architectural packages won't run on anything above Windows 8.0. The latest version is around $1000 so I bought their Deluxe version for around $100, which uses surface modeling, and it is quite adequate for my purposes.

I use Thunderbird for email (and usenet newsgroups), and Mozilla Firefox browser, both of which run on Linux.

The free MS Windows Paint does most of what I need for images, and I have GIMP for advanced stuff.

I'd use open source Kicad for schematics and PC boards if I were starting out, but I'm most comfy with my PADS 2004 PCB suite.

The free LTSpice application from Analog Devices is great for simple schematics and simulations. It is reported to run on Linux using Wine.
              http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
              Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
              USA Maryland 21030

Comment

PStechPaul - Libre office has base which is a database application somewhat like access. I have only played with it a small bit - but it seems powerful. (I also have done a ton of programming in access vba.) I was looking at it as a 64 bit access 2000 replacement but ran into a snag and didn't have the time to dig into it deeper. It looks like you can only hook to 1 database at a time. (I was going to use it to hook a postgresql and another odbc database. (to process data between 2 systems) It seems you can only hook to one.

BTW - when I switched to linux - I grabbed the thunderbird store directory from windows and plopped it into the linux system. It just worked. Surprised the heck out of me...

sam

Comment

Laptops? My wife has one, my kids have one. I dont. Never liked them. I guess that why I dont do anything on my cellphone except phone calls, its a telephone!! NOT a computer.

Naw, all my computing is done on a PC (cant afford apple).

Everyone else, including my Son, can day trade in the market with a laptop. So stupid..

I can build a PC that will make ten laptops seem like they are all stalled out. Takes more money and space sure. But not much more.

I dont get the laptop thing when you are in your house?>

Im on a PC, right now with an RF keyboard. Just like a laptop, cept I have a 55" screen.

Oh mean when you go to the park and want to "computer" while in nature? Hahaaa! JR

Comment

For quite a few years now I have been using laptops for all my computing needs. I think my last everyday desktop was WinME (Millenial Edition POS). A laptop is a very good way to avoid worrying about power failures and UPS devices - it's built in and I can keep working for several hours if necessary. And I can just fold it up and take it with me on a moment's notice. I've usually spent only about $300 to $500 for my laptops and they have lasted several years. I have a pile of them with almost every OS from Win95, Win98, WinXP, Vista, Win7 (several), and Win8, plus my present 4 year old Toshiba Satellite with Win10. Works well for me,but YMMV.
                    http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                    Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                    USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Lol - I just looked up my laptop that I am currently typing on. It is a MSI GS60 2PC. This was released sometime in 2014.. I bought it used. 4th gen i7.

Still runs the latest debian perfectly. I have a win10, xp and 7 vm that I use for testing when needed. (I use the xp vm because I still use autocad 12 some times.)

On thing that vm's do that real hardware have problems with is snapshots and clones. Want to try something that might screw up the whole system? Make a snapshot and go at it. then roll back if need be.

sam

Comment

I started with a desktop PC and continued this way for quite a few years. But not long time ago I was introduced to laptops at work and never looked back. They are so convenient and portable and don't use much power. My latest HP laptop with Windows 11 is amazingly quick to start - it takes only about 10 seconds from OFF condition. My work laptop (Windows 10) is only 2 years old, 5 times the cost, but running running much slower at many tasks. I would call it progress.

Still keep my old desktop with Windows XP for some rare occasions. It has a DVD drive and sometimes I need it. I haven't seen a DVD drive in a new laptop for quite some time.

Comment

I replaced Acrobat with Nitro PDF Pro on some of my computers for the same reason you mentioned. I refuse to pay subscription fees for software I use only occasionally and at 10% of its capacity unless there is no reasonable replacement. Nitro is not free, but you pay for it once. It was close to $100-120.

On some of my computers I still have the pre-subscription/pre-cloud Acrobat XI Pro. If you find a copy on eBay, make sure you verify it with Adobe to be unregistered and legit. 99% of them sold there are counterfeits that get recognized and disabled by Adobe sooner or later (don't ask me how I know).

My Adobe Photoshop was replaced with Adobe Photoshop Elements 2019 (I think there is still an option to buy Elements outright).
                          Last edited by MichaelP; 12-30-2021, 04:40 PM.
                          Mike
                          WI/IL border, USA

Comment

I have used it and open office, for business purposes, over the past two decades. Microsoft likes to change formats just to force upgrades. I avoid their formats whenever possible.

Comment

Lol - I just looked up my laptop that I am currently typing on. It is a MSI GS60 2PC. This was released sometime in 2014.. I bought it used. 4th gen i7.
                              I'm typing this on a 2008 Thinkpad T61. People love the T61 for the great full stroke keyboard and ease of repairs. Every few years I re-goop the cpu heat sink. I finally bought a new CPU cooler this year. It was $15 shipped. The machine has 4 GB of memory, a dated dual core CPU and two SSD drives. I have been using virtual desktops for decades, and currently have 167 windows open, across 9 virtual desktops.

Nearby is my dual xeon system with 48GB of memory, for heavier tasks.

I use the laptop a lot and I've done a huge amount of work with it over 13+ years. It's like an old tool. Sometimes you use a file when any number of power tools could do the job quicker.

Modern laptops are incredibly awesome, in every way, except the keyboards are awful. Also, AMD has been completely dominating intel for a number of years.

Comment

Yes - Amd has been doing very well - only the latest intel alder lake seem to do just a bit better.. I bought a amd 5700G for my home work station 8 cores - 16 threads with an apu. It's on board video is really pretty decent compared to intel - and because I would have a problem getting a decent nvidia video card even a 3060ti... (not that I game much at all...) but the system is rocking. Love it. Bought motherboard, processor and memory and put it in a case I already had.

sam

Originally posted by Glug View Post

I'm typing this on a 2008 Thinkpad T61. People love the T61 for the great full stroke keyboard and ease of repairs. Every few years I re-goop the cpu heat sink. I finally bought a new CPU cooler this year. It was $15 shipped. The machine has 4 GB of memory, a dated dual core CPU and two SSD drives. I have been using virtual desktops for decades, and currently have 167 windows open, across 9 virtual desktops.

Nearby is my dual xeon system with 48GB of memory, for heavier tasks.

I use the laptop a lot and I've done a huge amount of work with it over 13+ years. It's like an old tool. Sometimes you use a file when any number of power tools could do the job quicker.

Modern laptops are incredibly awesome, in every way, except the keyboards are awful. Also, AMD has been completely dominating intel for a number of years.

Comment

Working...
                                X