Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nc5a
    replied
    Commander I would be interested in the taper attachment for the 13" SB assuming of course it is in good condition and complete. Check your PM box.

Leave a comment:

• Commander_Chaos
    replied
    Originally posted by Dave C View Post
    Why would anyone want to get rid of their taper attachment? My lathe doesn't have one and I really wish it did.
    This is my third (and probably last) lathe and I've never needed or wanted to make a taper that would require it.

Leave a comment:

• Dave C
    replied
    Why would anyone want to get rid of their taper attachment? My lathe doesn't have one and I really wish it did.

Leave a comment:

• Mike72
    replied
    You can down load it here:
    https://www.scribd.com/doc/85638513/CE3458-Parts-Manual

Leave a comment:

• Commander_Chaos
    replied
    The locking pin is indeed too short. I have brazing rod that's the right diameter so that's an easy fix.

Where are you guys seeing a parts diagram? The lathe came with a tapering attachment that I want to get rid of so I'll need to source a few parts. The gears are noisy as hell, too.

Leave a comment:

• BCRider
    replied
    I see that there's the locking screw and a short pin. Those are typically brass or aluminium so you don't score the bushing. But being a softer material they can become swaged shorter and thicker over time and might not fit through the hole any longer. You may just need a new pad pin. Or in some way reduce the diameter of the old one so it can fall through the index dial's hole.

Leave a comment:

• Commander_Chaos
    replied
    I just realized that the issue here is much deeper than the dial. I'm going to take the cross-feed completely apart and correct everything.

Thanks for your help.

Leave a comment:

• Mike72
    replied
    Ok, the pin goes into the cross feed shaft and the slot in the collar engages with it. The collar turns with the shaft. The micrometer graduated collar goes over the sleeve and the finger screw tightens down on the sleeve to lock it to the cross feed shaft through the collar. This design was the last design SB used for the cross feed, earlier versions used the same micrometer collar but without the sleeve and pin. You may need only the pin if your cross feed shaft has a hole for it, or you may have to drill the hole if it's a earlier shaft.

Leave a comment:

• Commander_Chaos
    replied
    Hmm. With the screw cranked down as hard as I dare the dial spins freely. I guess the pin is buggered up. I tried tapping it out but it's too long to come out through the bore.

Leave a comment:

• Mike72
    replied
    From what I see in the parts list, it looks like the sleeve is secured with a pin and turns with the graduated collar and the locking screw bears against the sleeve.

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    replied
    That sleeve may be intended to be held tight between features on the shaft (nuts, collars, etc) that take up end play. That way you can reset the dial to zero as needed, without the dial having to take the tightening, which would make it hard to turn.

I made a similar system for my Logan, for just that reason.

Leave a comment:

• Commander_Chaos
    started a topic SB13 Dial

SB13 Dial

The cross-feed dial on my 13" South Bend lathe has never locked making it nearly useless. I finally got around to taking it apart and there's a sleeve that blocks the pin from contacting the shaft. Would I be correct in thinking that the sleeve is an adapter because the dial is from another machine? My first thought is to drill a hole in the sleeve so the pin can pass through it.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 3 photos.
Working...
X