Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Older Hardware vs Newer Hardware .... Quality etc.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Bented View Post

    Old does not always mean "higher" quality merely lower pricing.
    Many manufacturers produce simple hardware that outperforms 40 year old hardware, consumers will not pay for this however.

    Holo-Krome is still alive and kicking.

    https://www.holo-krome.com/product-line.html
    Um... He's saying the older stuff cost MORE than new junk, but it's OK to get better stuff.
    4357 2773 5150 9120 9135 8645 1007 1190 2133 9120 5942

    Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

    Everything not impossible is compulsory

    "There's no pleasing these serpents"......Lewis Carroll

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Bented View Post

      Old does not always mean "higher" quality merely lower pricing.
      Many manufacturers produce simple hardware that outperforms 40 year old hardware, consumers will not pay for this however.

      Holo-Krome is still alive and kicking.

      https://www.holo-krome.com/product-line.html
      True, but I didn't say anything about quality. Certainly steels and tolerances are much better today. but with older hardware the problem is just trying to *find* something that is no longer manufactured. For example for a restoration project.
      25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

      Comment


      • #18
        I usually buy most of my common Bolts from my John Deere Dealer by the lb. ,I was restocking my inventory and didn’t notice the 5/16” x1-1/4” threads were total garbage.I returned them and the dealer cleaned out the entire Bin and returned them to supplier.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by J Tiers View Post

          Um... He's saying the older stuff cost MORE than new junk, but it's OK to get better stuff.
          Yes, Holo-Krome is good stuff but nine of my local hardware stores carry that brand.

          The latest stuff I got locally were some pathetic looking 1/2" SAE flat washers. The edges were ragged enough to cut your fingers on and the center hole looked like it was skewed. The outer edges had some half circle bite marks all around them like they were jumping around and getting caught by the center punch die.
          Got some 9/16" - 12 nuts and they were drilled and threaded off center. The threads looked all hacked up and had nasty burrs on each side for starting threads.
          I brought all of that stuff back. I had asked where this crap came from..... china ?? india ??? and the guy said they came out of canada. I said that doesn't mean they were made there.
          I told him if you keep buying the lowest priced crap you can get and I'm going elsewhere.



          JL.............

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Tundra Twin Track View Post
            I usually buy most of my common Bolts from my John Deere Dealer by the lb. ,I was restocking my inventory and didn’t notice the 5/16” x1-1/4” threads were total garbage.I returned them and the dealer cleaned out the entire Bin and returned them to supplier.
            I know the CAT dealer has their own hardware and from what I've seen it's pretty nice looking stuff, made to their specs. I would imagine. I thought JD had the same.

            JL....................

            Comment


            • #21
              On the hardened square head set screws........... I drew them back today using my MAP gas torch. They just about hit orange but not quite. I let them soak for a couple minutes. When they cooled I was able to cut the heads off with my hack saw.

              JL...................

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post

                ... My local Ace recently upgraded their franchise , including the fastener aisle. I am astounded every time I go in there ...
                One of the local Ace's (O'Connor's in Billerica, MA) has that kind of hardware selection. Most of it is in those slide-out compartmented trays. Recently my curiosity took over and I counted them. There were 1200!! Yes - one thousand two hundred trays. Both sides of a couple of aisles.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
                  I know the CAT dealer has their own hardware and from what I've seen it's pretty nice looking stuff, made to their specs. I would imagine. I thought JD had the same.

                  JL....................
                  That was the first time I had a issue,should have kept one to show the ugliness.Can’t believe I didn’t notice at the time,was to busy just grabbing hand fulls of each size I guess🙂

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
                    Do you know who the company is ??

                    JL.............
                    PM sent
                    I just need one more tool,just one!

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
                      Here is some other old hardware I've bought from them in the past for various projects.
                      I have some square head bolts similar to the ones in my first post but these have a flange under the head.

                      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20211230-203313.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	169.4 KB
ID:	1977838

                      JL.................
                      Those wing head thumb screws like the one on the left. McMaster used to have a big selection of those, now they just have a couple styles. We have a few similar to those at work, the ones we have are malleable iron.
                      I just need one more tool,just one!

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        The wing head are decent. The ones to the right are only good for stuff you buy at Target, Walmart, or the dollar store.
                        4357 2773 5150 9120 9135 8645 1007 1190 2133 9120 5942

                        Keep eye on ball.
                        Hashim Khan

                        Everything not impossible is compulsory

                        "There's no pleasing these serpents"......Lewis Carroll

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
                          Here is some other old hardware I've bought from them in the past for various projects.
                          I have some square head bolts similar to the ones in my first post but these have a flange under the head.

                          JL.................
                          Don't appear to be the typical CCC thumbscrews.
                          Another vote for buying hardware lots at industrial auction.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post

                            Don't appear to be the typical CCC thumbscrews.
                            Another vote for buying hardware lots at industrial auction.
                            X2 on collecting hardware in larger lot’s,especially the higher grade ones.Having purchased larger high grade bolts can get pricey real quick!

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                              The wing head are decent. The ones to the right are only good for stuff you buy at Target, Walmart, or the dollar store.
                              Turns out that McMaster still has the solid forged wing-heads in two different styles. A previous employer used them for sealing the lids on their in-process hydrogen filters. (To enable the operators to quick-change the filters)
                              25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post

                                Turns out that McMaster still has the solid forged wing-heads in two different styles. A previous employer used them for sealing the lids on their in-process hydrogen filters. (To enable the operators to quick-change the filters)
                                I was going to ask what those are used for nowadays, but you answered my question.

                                JL.....

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X