Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT: What is new years like around you folks for noise and gunfire?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: What is new years like around you folks for noise and gunfire?

We get everything from just pistols and so forth through 3 round bursts and some full auto. Some at "grease gun" rep rate, some much deeper and a bit slower. It usually sounds like a significant firefight. Has to cost some folks quite a bit of cash to make noise.

Comes from north of us, mostly, but several of us in the area have found bullets on the driveway, on the roof, etc. Probably many more that fell in the grass and sank in. One went through the windshield of a car. Makes me happy I at least have a house with 13" of brick in the walls. But the "deck armor" (roof) is only shingles and boards, and we do have windows......

Lots of idiots who have forgotten the law of gravity.
    4357 2773 5150 9120 9135 8645 1007 1190 2133 9120 5942

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Everything not impossible is compulsory

"There's no pleasing these serpents"......Lewis Carroll

Guns really aren't common in Holland, but that doesn't mean that people here don't like making loud bangs. The Dutch celebrate new year with "carbit schieten" - they put acetylene carbide crystals and water in an old milk can or pipe, plug the hole with a football and fire it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKUJ-zfOfBI

They're active right now.

Ian
    All of the gear, no idea...

Comment

In the uk it's not guns. We have idiots with fireworks every new year. Sounds harmless? It's not! Terrifies wildlife, pets and the elderly. The fireworks get bigger every year. It's like the idiots are letting off small bombs in their gardens (yards). Literally just a few feet from their back doors... my f-ing back door!

Couple of years ago my idiot neighbor and his idiot guests lit up a firework that was the size of a 5 gallon drum. It was a multi-explosive type. It fell over, shot itself into the corner of the yard, continued to explode repeatedly, and blew a hole in the fence. If he'd bothered to read the instructions it was supposed to be BURIED 12"and firmly packed in, and minimum 25 meters / yards from any person or property. Very lucky nobody got injured.

Tonight will be even worse than previous years as that's the trend... bigger, noisier, more expensive. How the idiots have the money for these things is beyond me. Where I live they're mostly in rented and on benefits. And they're all IDIOTS.

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
        Comes from north of us, mostly, but several of us in the area have found bullets on the driveway, on the roof, etc. Probably many more that fell in the grass and sank in. One went through the windshield of a car. Makes me happy I at least have a house with 13" of brick in the walls.

That sucks. You have wrote about it before. Im old, Duck and Cover is out?

Hey? The thing is Jerry you still make it happen right.. I do Believe you do. JR

Comment

We do fireworks, haven’t bought mortars this year as I now have a dog. Plenty of Roman candles and rockets though.

Comment

Originally posted by RB211 View Post
            We do fireworks, haven’t bought mortars this year as I now have a dog. Plenty of Roman candles and rockets though.
            Thats good on you (puppy) RB11

I grew up in New Jersey for the most part. You dont know fire works like Jersey folks, just saying, 1973 Bombs? Yup.

My Dad JR

Comment

My neighborhood has gotten quieter over the years as people have aged out of that malarkey for the most part and there are very few younger people moving into the neighborhood as us older types won't sell. I probably also helps a bit as the temperature is expected to dip to near -30 tonight. It isn't as desirable to be out shooting off fireworks when one can have their fingers freeze.

Comment

New Years? How about every weekend? There are definitely several people around me with more ammo than brains. The last several weeks along with the random gunfire, someone behind me has been shooting off a firework after 10 PM that rattles my windows. It must be a huge "mortar" because i can hear the initial thud when it launches followed by the large explosion. I always picture a "hold my beer" situation back there. Can't imagine what tonight will be like.
                I shoot silhouette at my local gun club and reload my own. Last two years I've had some trouble finding the bullets I need and of course the price has gone way up to the point I've cut back on any kind of practice. I just paid $163 to have 4 boxes of rifle bullets delivered from Midway. I just can't imagine the amount of money the people around me have shot into ground or trees or who knows what this year.
                Tom - Spotsylvania, VA

Comment

I am on the West side of Downtown Dallas. Usually it starts a few hours before midnight and I can imagine sounds like a small war. Full auto, small arms, big arms. One year, I thought someone was shooting a anti aircraft cannon like a 40mm Bofors. There was a large semi trailer lot across the car parking lot, and it sounded like acorns falling on the tops of the trailers. Had one bullet hit the front of the next door space and set off the alarms. I expect it to be really bad this time.

Comment

We just need a funeral. Its an every weekend event if you are close to a graveyard. But what we are famous for are new years eve at Hillbrow. You have to avoid flying fridges and furniture. The hospitals see more trauma cases in one night than you first world countries see in a year. True story. Ask some doctors who have done some time in these hospitals.
                    https://www.facebook.com/dalaucrew/v...4102344391091/

Comment

u
                      Originally posted by JRouche View Post

Thats good on you (puppy) RB11

I grew up in New Jersey for the most part. You dont know fire works like Jersey folks, just saying, 1973 Bombs? Yup.

My Dad JR
                      I grew up in CT, when you could go to China Town in NYC and do back door deals to get real M80’s and quarter sticks I’m very lucky I still have 10 fingers and two hands!

Comment

Originally posted by plunger View Post
                        We just need a funeral. Its an every weekend event if you are close to a graveyard. But what we are famous for are new years eve at Hillbrow. You have to avoid flying fridges and furniture. The hospitals see more trauma cases in one night than you first world countries see in a year. True story. Ask some doctors who have done some time in these hospitals.
                        https://www.facebook.com/dalaucrew/v...4102344391091/
                        This. Sounds. Amazing. The flying refrigerators part that is…

Comment

It's pretty quiet. We do have a neighbor who probably spends a couple grand a year on fireworks. Sometimes a good show from my porch, but that's it. He blasts them every holiday or special occasion. All the other neighbors hate him because it scares their horses and animals.

Comment

Simple minded hillbillies are always a problem, we get mortars blowing off, maybe a little gunfire here and there - lots of annoying "whole packs of crackers" lit,

nothing like the 4th though thank god,,, my poor old Dogs I used to have would totally freak so I would lock them in the basement where they could not hear everything, also playing music loud helps....

Current Pooch is half pit half hound --- once in a great while she'll hear a big mortar close to the house - lift her head from her nappy-poo and look at me like "anything to worry about Pop's" ? then the inevitable look of "that's what i thought" and back to sleep. lol

Comment

Originally posted by RB211 View Post

This. Sounds. Amazing. The flying refrigerators part that is…
                              Except if a fridge lands on your head.
                              https://theworld.org/stories/2011-12...sing-tradition

Comment

Working...
                              X