Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT: What is new years like around you folks for noise and gunfire?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There were a few fireworks, no gunfire, we are civilised here, and I watched on tv, the London firework display and the amazing drone display. There must have been 500 drones in perfect sync and not even noticing the 20 mile an hour wind blowing.

Comment

The government here has made the medium level fireworks illegal, so now everybody is getting heavy stuff from abroad. That policy has backfired quite as now people are throwing heavy explosives at the police instead of lighter stuff....
      All that I could buy locally is kids stuff so I'll probably get something nicer from abroad next year as well.

Comment

I had my fill of random gunfire when we lived in the Gallipoli area. Lots of idiots with the middle eastern notion of celebrating random events by emptying a clip of ammo at all hours. Then that was nothing compared to the concussions from the live fire exercises conducted by the military. Window rattling concussions from artillery fire at least 5 miles away, and carpet bombing of uninhabited islands out in the Saros bay. Up close, the explosions resulted in house size fireballs and apartment sized smoke clouds. The artillery exercises were interfering with our seismic surveys.

Moved back home to the middle of nowhere, where our nearest neighbor is 1/2 mile away. Only occaisional gunfire in hunting season through November and then only daylight hours.
        Design to 0.0001", measure to 1/32", cut with an axe, grind to fit

Comment

Ok, you ride with me then- so I got in the jeep. We pulled into the parking lot just down the road, and she checked her watch. On time, a half dozen vehicles show up and someone begins to kick into a snowbank. The first package is snuggled tightly into the crevasse. And so it began- and ended when about the fourth package of fireworks had been set off. The brave ran around with 'hand sticks', shooting off various colors in all directions. $300 worth of fireworks and about ten minutes later, everyone is back in their cars and driving off. Too cold to be out there, but a visual and audio experience had been had.
          I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Originally posted by darryl View Post
            Ok, you ride with me then- so I got in the jeep. We pulled into the parking lot just down the road, and she checked her watch. On time, a half dozen vehicles show up and someone begins to kick into a snowbank. The first package is snuggled tightly into the crevasse. And so it began- and ended when about the fourth package of fireworks had been set off. The brave ran around with 'hand sticks', shooting off various colors in all directions. $300 worth of fireworks and about ten minutes later, everyone is back in their cars and driving off. Too cold to be out there, but a visual and audio experience had been had.
            I like fireworks as much as the next guy, but that's where my interest stops. It's EXPENSIVE. A few buddies all chip in some dough for Canada day fireworks every year, the kids love it, but man, I can think of some much better ways I'd rather spend a couple hundred bucks. I like when others do though .

I grew up cheap like that. Dad used to pile us into the car and we'd drive to a couple big hills around here where you could see the fireworks in all directions around town. The only time I remember actually having fireworks as a kid is when an uncle bought a bunch one time and a roman candle tipped over in the bucket and started firing back AT the house as we all scrambled for cover lol.

Comment

Originally posted by RB211 View Post
              We do fireworks, haven’t bought mortars this year as I now have a dog. Plenty of Roman candles and rockets though.
              You guys are nutts. FYI. Thats coming from a dude that did grow up in Newark.

You want to make sound? Stuff a new trash bag up. Stuff it with acetylene. Put a candle on it and walk away. Windows will go out. She is a beuit. JR

Comment

I did accidentally blew up my street, They knew it was me so no running. It was so massive. Well, it popped windows out. 1979. Not my fault I think. I was a Minor :} JR

Edit: Use a smaller bag. Frikin 50 gallon bag stuffed with acet gas> Yes, it was a big explosion. Dont do that, Windows broke everywhere. Five gallon trash bag might be better. JR
                Last edited by JRouche; 01-02-2022, 04:47 AM.

Comment

[QUOTE=Jonesy;n1977878. It's like the idiots are letting off small bombs for these things is beyond me. Where I live they're mostly in rented and on benefits. And they're all IDIOTS.
                  [/QUOTE]

Its funny Jonesy, I agree 100 percent . They are fuking idiots no doubt. Work around that somehow.. . JR

OH: My head said if you cant figure it out you are sure as chit an idiot.

And If I dont say why I am a butt hole. Meanin not nice.

. It's like the idiots are letting off small bombs
                  JR
                  Last edited by JRouche; 01-02-2022, 05:32 AM.

Comment

No gunfire here- in fact we were the only ones making any noise, and it didn't last long. And it wasn't even loud- just expensive apparently. The loudest thing was us doing karaoke- until 5 am. At least the neighbors didn't complain this time. Maybe we're getting better?
                    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Well, I had an accident this time, a minor one, and quite humorous. I have some M800 firecrackers, the new "legal" M80's. They have cement like endcaps on the cardboard tubes. Problem is that the endcaps shoot off like a wad cutter out of a cannon barrel. My wife was a good 20ft away, one of the end caps nailed her straight in the crotch, she bent over in pain, left a red circle.

Comment

We have a very strict law against shooting guns in the air in Arizona. Shannon's Law. Not that it doesn't happen, but all I heard sounded more like fire crackers. One guy sounded like he was shooting off a propane bird cannon. It was pretty far away, but I am familiar with how it sounds.
                        *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

nothing here
                          Last edited by Ridgerunner; 01-03-2022, 06:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by darryl View Post
                            No gunfire here- in fact we were the only ones making any noise, and it didn't last long. And it wasn't even loud- just expensive apparently. The loudest thing was us doing karaoke- until 5 am. At least the neighbors didn't complain this time. Maybe we're getting better?
                            Having a party? Invite the neighbors. Unless they actively dislike you they are less likely to complain if they were invited. Even if they don't come.

They used to do a big rock festival at the property next to mine every year. 8hrs of very loud music, but I never complained. Figured it was good ammunition if they ever complained about anything I was doing.
                            *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

Dunno, I was asleep. I always get up the next day and read the police reports. Looks like there was a house fire downtown, a large coke bust, and some shoplifters. Basically, the usual.
                              25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Apparently the mayor of Naples Italy cancelled fireworks again this year. Apparently the citizenry said Nah, it'll be fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtjMeH7DPbk
                                I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Working...
                                X